Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
AllThingsD: Sony Designs Tablet That’s Not an iPad Wannabe

http://allthingsd.com/20110914/sony-...-ipad-wannabe/

Quote:
I’ve been testing this device, called the Sony Tablet S, and I generally like it, despite some weaknesses and some features that aren’t yet fleshed out because they won’t be fully rolled out at launch. The Tablet S will appeal to buyers who would like a distinctive tablet from a trusted company that doesn’t look like an iPad wannabe.
Quote:
While Sony, like Apple, has long been praised for hardware design, it has never been able to match Apple in software and services, except on its PlayStation game consoles. The company is hoping the Tablet S changes that perception.
Sony's Playstation games on Android could be a nice differentiator.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://allthingsd.com/20110914/sony-...-ipad-wannabe/

Sony's Playstation games on Android could be a nice differentiator.
Sony already has some Android based devices that run classic Playstation games. Plus for a while now they've been talking about bringing classic Playstation games to Android for a while, and just today announced about a new SDK for doing so.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The main item they talked about was the physical form factor. One edge is thicker, much like the spine of a magazine that was folded open. This s interesting because we had a discussion about this a year or so ago here on MR.

These ever thinner devices with thinner margins are not that comfortable to hold. A thicker edge would give you a firmer handgrip. The article also notes that it shifts the center of mass into your palm and so makes it feel lighter than it is.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The main item they talked about was the physical form factor. One edge is thicker, much like the spine of a magazine that was folded open. This s interesting because we had a discussion about this a year or so ago here on MR.

These ever thinner devices with thinner margins are not that comfortable to hold. A thicker edge would give you a firmer handgrip. The article also notes that it shifts the center of mass into your palm and so makes it feel lighter than it is.
That and also the thinner they get the more connectivity sacrifices they have to make. I would rather have a tablet that is a half an inch in thickness with SD card slots, hdmi and usb ports as opposed to have one that is much thinner but lacking any ports.

I'm sorry a half an inch is not thick.

I do like the form factor on this Sony, and it gives you full sized ports I do believe.

Last edited by boswd; 09-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Sony already has some Android based devices that run classic Playstation games. Plus for a while now they've been talking about bringing classic Playstation games to Android for a while, and just today announced about a new SDK for doing so.
What will be interesting to see is how locked down Sony keeps those games to their own devices.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have played with the new Sony S tablet at my local Sony store and I was very impressed with it. I'm tempted to get one for my mom, I've been wanting to get her a tablet as a present. This one feels fantastic in the hand, and has a beautiful, responsive screen. I tried out "Crash Bandicoot" on the in store model, and it was comfortable to play on. Up until now I've found playing games with the on screen controllers on my iPad a bit uncomfortable, but the size of the on screen controller on the Sony S is adjustable.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i played crash the other day on it too. made me want to get out the old game an have a PlayStation day
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
That and also the thinner they get the more connectivity sacrifices they have to make. I would rather have a tablet that is a half an inch in thickness with SD card slots, hdmi and usb ports as opposed to have one that is much thinner but lacking any ports.

Toshiba Thrive FTW!
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What will be interesting to see is how locked down Sony keeps those games to their own devices.
From the looks of things, they're gunning for the entire Android market.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
From the looks of things, they're gunning for the entire Android market.
Well, the entire Android market that is Playstation Certified:
Quote:
Through PS Suite SDK, content developers can create content for PlayStation™Certified (PS Certified) devices, hardware certified through the PS Suite license program, as well as for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita).
Which right now consists of only Sony devices. But, they only announced the program 8 months ago, so maybe there are more manufacturers lined up.
Quote:
phones will require the newest "Gingerbread" release of Android, version 2.3.
And third, hardware makers must sign up for the PlayStation Certified license. Through it, device must pass tests "to ensure the delivery of PlayStation quality experience across various devices" before Sony will grant a license to use the appropriate logo.
Wonder if Sony makes money on the licenses as well.

Last edited by kjk; 09-15-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I need to make the trek and check out one of these. The form factor seems appealing. Being comfortable to hold in portrait mode is key, as I'll primarily use it for reading. Up until now I haven't had a reason to finally sell my NOOKcolor. If it's as light as the iPad 2...hmmm.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I found the tablet easy to hold in one hand in portrait mode, and easy for two hands in landscape. It did not feel top heavy in landscape, as some people have predicted. It seemed more comfortable than the iPad-1 which I played with.

But I'm getting the PRS-T1 instead... if I get yet another reader
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I do like the form factor on this Sony, and it gives you full sized ports I do believe.
A significant downside of the Sony is that its SD card slot can only be used for media transfer to and from the device; you can't, for example, play a movie on the device from an SD card. This seems like a peculiar design decision.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i cant imagine why that is- its bugged me since i first heard in reports from the launch.

but it also reminds me that xoom didnt have a working sd for some time and i believe there were others. so now im thinking there must be an android software compatibility problem .
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i cant imagine why that is- its bugged me since i first heard in reports from the launch.

but it also reminds me that xoom didnt have a working sd for some time and i believe there were others. so now im thinking there must be an android software compatibility problem .
None of the Android devices I've used has had a problem with it.

My guess, UI issues. They didn't make stuff to use multiple storage locations.