Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm currently at 77 books read this year, and I'll likely finish at least one and probably two more before the month is over, putting me almost on schedule to hit my top end stretch goal of 160 books read in 2018. Given that a couple of books took an inordinate amount of time before being ultimately abandoned, this is pretty good. On my goal of reading at least 10 of the 12 books in the New Leaf Book Club, I'm up against it, having abandoned two. But not until I'd really put a lot of time and effort into them.

The real weakness this year has been the same as every other year. Trying to keep track! I really do try, and it's better than some other years have been, but still not as good as it should be. I do wish Calibre had a decent solution to including Audible books -- it would help.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #182
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've read 5 books so far for June one short story. So I'm making good progress so far.

For the 1\2 way mark in June I've read 33 books so I'm a little ahead on my 54 book challenge.

Last edited by Wearever; 06-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #183
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I've had a good June, 12 books completed totaling just over 4000 pages. I passed the 1/2 way point in my goal on the first so I am in really good shape right now.

This won't last so here is my current projection with previous year totals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	170
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	164707  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #184
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm at 70 for the year right now... a few shy for my target this year of 150. We will see what the second half brings.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #185
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Managed 54 books by yesterday, so that I'm still able to meet my goal to read 100 books this year. A little ahead. More importantly, I only have 3 books left from 2010! I doubt I will complete the 2011 stuff, but if I end the year with only 20 of those, that's quite a bit of progress. Way over budget though.

Focus for July: Anthologies and magazines
Focus for August: Westerns

I decided to focus on Anthologies and magazines for July because my Mom is ill and it's hard to stay tracked on the plot of a larger story. I do a western focus every year in August, alas without the cowboy food except Chili with Beans (yeah, I know...but it's what I like).

Last edited by Tarana; 07-01-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 AM   #186
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm pretty much on target. I'm five books ahead of reaching my goal of 100 books. And I was 55 pages ahead of reading 40000 pages this year. However, the second half of the year I normally read slightly less than during the first half. So we'll see where it ends. I am going away for a lazy week in November, which in recent year I did in May or June. During that week I can easily read 500-1000 pages extra.

The cause of me reading less is partially because of other interests and partially because there is less need to escape reality for me. The past five years have been very stressful, due to a Family Thing, and I used reading as a way of escaping that. Now it looks like things are getting resolved, so there's less need for me to find an escape.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #187
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 100) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through June):
  • 77 books - 154% of my goal (77% of stretch goal) - on target; might expand again
  • 42 short stories - 84% of my goal - on target
  • 23,206 pages - 92% of my goal - on target
  • 49% female/nonbinary authors / 51% male authors - off target - Balance positively increased 1%
  • 50% US authors (Up from 49%) / 49% non-US authors (down from 51%) - off target again due to short stories
  • 189 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 34 - 136% of my goal (68% of stretch goal) - on target
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 6 for 6 - on target

I am pleased with my progress such that I have had to bump my stretch goals again.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #188
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've actually managed to reduce my TBR a little in April and May. Now to manage the same in June, July, August, ....

53 books read so far this year, so still on course for around 120.
I ended June with my TBR increased by one book. I'll do better in July!

61 books read at the end of June, so on course for about 122.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #189
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Budget is totally blown. I'm plus 14 books up on my TBR I do fault much of that on the closure of an audiobook online store. 56 books at the end of June, so I'm ahead for meeting my goal of 100. I will do better in July!

On the plus side, I have knocked off 14 of 45 2010-2011 books. Only have 3 left form 2010! So lots of progress there.

I'm devoting much of this month to anthologies and magazines. Too many interruptions, which lends itself well to short stories and novellas.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #190
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I finished up the first half of the year at 45 books read. Last year I read 41 for the entire year, and that was my biggest year in quite a while.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #191
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I finished up the first half of the year at 45 books read. Last year I read 41 for the entire year, and that was my biggest year in quite a while.
Nice going!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 AM   #192
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
What has caused the difference in how much you read?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #193
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I finally started Wolf's Head ( Book 1 of The Forest Lord Series ) by Steven McKay. For my Fantasy challenge. Another take on the Robin Hood legend .
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #194
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Nice going!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What has caused the difference in how much you read?
Well, a few things. I put my daughter to bed most nights, and it takes around 45 minutes to an hour, so I have dedicated that time to reading. I love reading, always have been a pretty voracious reader, but over the years I had let other hobbies take precedence. In 2014 when my daughter was born, I really fell off. So mainly it's just putting reading back to the forefront of things I want to do with my spare time.

Since that post, I am at 52 and should be finishing #53 today, so I am picking up the pace if anything. Really want to see if I can get to 100 read in a year, that would have to be a personal best for me.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #195
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Since that post, I am at 52 and should be finishing #53 today, so I am picking up the pace if anything. Really want to see if I can get to 100 read in a year, that would have to be a personal best for me.
Go for it! The last time I read over 100 in a year was 2011. I'm well on track to make it again this year (84 already ), and in fact heading for a personal best. Only problem is I have a new job that involves 12 hour days, and my reading time has been cut from about an hour a day to about 10-15 minutes, so my rate of reading is going to drop dramatically. Still, I'll easily make the 100 mark.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote