Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #61
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I don't get this misconception of having restricted access to files. I have absolutely no problem accessing any file I want on my iPad or iPhone. ...
Is this true in general (able to access files in general)?

I saw this in another thread:

Quote:
... Stanza allows this indirectly by having external CSS and template HTML. Of course you need to jailbreak to access the files, but that's why I jailbreak and why I still cling to Stanza. ...
The files they are talking about are on the IOS device. Are you saying they can be edited without jail breaking?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #62
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Exactly. So if I have onboard storage, what's the point of an SD card?
The size of the storage. If you have a device with 16Gb and you find yourself in need of more space, you can just buy an SD card instead of looking for a new device.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #63
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I would agree with that statement if they gave me 128 GB onboard.
I don't think that much is needed on a tablet. LOL... I think that's overkill.

I can still access my NAS or laptop with all of my other files just fine.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #64
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I saw this in another thread:

The files they are talking about are on the IOS device. Are you saying they can be edited without jail breaking?
Rooting/Jailbreaking to access the OS files is a different issue. Generally from what I hear is that Apple is so restrictive that you can't access anything other than what they tell you. As I've said several times, I have no problems accessing anything I want that's on my network. I don't want to mess with the OS, any OS. It works fine just the way it does.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #65
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The size of the storage. If you have a device with 16Gb and you find yourself in need of more space, you can just buy an SD card instead of looking for a new device.
But you're still restricted to the size of the SD card. How much do you REALLY need to carry around with you? Most people I would suspect not much.

There are wifi HDD's btw, that you can use to access files and share that HDD with other users. So really the SD card issue is a mute point. There is also a device that plugs into an iOS device that you can use SD cards for additional storage and read from them just as you would with any other device. I'm not talking about the camera connection kit either.

http://www.airstash.com/

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...flex-satellite

http://www.hypershop.com/iFlashDrive-s/200.htm

There's a few to get you started.
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Rooting/Jailbreaking to access the OS files is a different issue. Generally from what I hear is that Apple is so restrictive that you can't access anything other than what they tell you. As I've said several times, I have no problems accessing anything I want that's on my network. I don't want to mess with the OS, any OS. It works fine just the way it does.
Thanks, for the clarification.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #67
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
[QUOTE=monkeyluis;1828000]But you're still restricted to the size of the SD card. How much do you REALLY need to carry around with you? Most people I would suspect not much.

i agree i see people on here having thousands of ebooks on thier devices wich to me is insane.. whats the point of having several years of books on a single devoce what will lot live long enough for you to read them all? i mean really even if you read a whiole book every day without fail it would take 3-4 years for people to actually read all the books. i let amazon cloud do all the heavy lifting and just keep around 10 books on my device and never have to worry about indexing issues or anything.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #68
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
But you're still restricted to the size of the SD card. How much do you REALLY need to carry around with you? Most people I would suspect not much.

There are wifi HDD's btw, that you can use to access files and share that HDD with other users. So really the SD card issue is a mute point. There is also a device that plugs into an iOS device that you can use SD cards for additional storage and read from them just as you would with any other device. I'm not talking about the camera connection kit either.

http://www.airstash.com/

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...flex-satellite

http://www.hypershop.com/iFlashDrive-s/200.htm

There's a few to get you started.

It seems that while you believe that not many people need the extra storage of an SD card, the ones marketing AirStash consider it essential for iDevices.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Including by having a better screen than the cheap Amoled pentile screens on the SG II.
The SGII has a true RGB screen. Please check your facts.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #70
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I
Okay, inferior then. But expensive.
Would you care to back that up with some facts?

Edit: thought so, quick to bash Samsung, not so quick to back it up with facts.

Last edited by afv011; 11-11-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #71
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Why would you need to fumble around with an SD card? You only need to take it out of the device if you are replacing it with a bigger one.
According to this logic floppy drives were pointless, since there was a hard drive that was bigger.

Quote:
Oh nonsense - this is just part of a narrative in which you validate your own personal preferences. According to this narrative, people who buy Apple products are "cool" and are buying "fashion accessories." In other words, you are trying to suggest that they don't know anything about their products, and are basically stupid and shallow.
This is pure bullshit, so typical for iboys.
I do think that most people buy it as a shiny, hyped, fashion accessory, without understanding what it can and what it cannot do (it's hard to find a single review that would state what it can't do, so no wonder).
That doesn't make them stupid. (or smart) Some are stupid, some are smart.

Quote:
So a little bit ago I watched an MKV file on my tv. I streamed it from my NAS, to my iPad to my apple tv. Hmmmmm, that was easy. Not restrictive at all.
Normally I'd think you're being sarcastic, but having read your other posts, it seems you aren't. Oh dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It is true in general. It syncs with a single PC and only with it. And sync worcs one way: PC => device. It was so with ipod touch and I don't think they've changed anything with other devices.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #72
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:

It seems that while you believe that not many people need the extra storage of an SD card, the ones marketing AirStash consider it essential for iDevices.
Lol. It's called marketing.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #73
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
You are missing the point. What is being told here is access to the onboard stuff like music and pictures. Unless you use itunes you can't update the contents, the file names are even garbled. On other devices supporting UMS you can drag and drop. That said, I believe the 4S is less restrictive in that you can use wifi to transfer files.
The fact you can access your NAS has nothing to do with the restriction discussed here.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #74
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Normally I'd think you're being sarcastic, but having read your other posts, it seems you aren't. Oh dear...
I guess we're done here then because I have abolished your misconceptions. I hope you were able to take away something from my posts as I did address your incorrect assumptions. thanks for the discussions as we are all here to learn & enjoy the devices we use.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #75
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
[QUOTE=covfam;1828086]
Quote:

i agree i see people on here having thousands of ebooks on thier devices wich to me is insane.. whats the point of having several years of books on a single devoce what will lot live long enough for you to read them all? i mean really even if you read a whiole book every day without fail it would take 3-4 years for people to actually read all the books. i let amazon cloud do all the heavy lifting and just keep around 10 books on my device and never have to worry about indexing issues or anything.
That's one I can answer. I keep my entire e-library on a chip (with backups). Why? I don't have a smart phone. I don't <want> one. I use a phone seldom, and don't see any reason to pay $50, $60, or even $70 a month for something I won't use much. My pay-as-you-go phone costs me around $9 a month. So for a $50 one-time charge, I got 5, 2 gb SD chips, one for use, the others for backups. I have the same library as I would on a cloud storage, but without having to find a WiFi hotspot or having to spend the monthly dollars I mentioned previously in order to be able to access it. Or having my reading habits being aggregated for some marketer's use at no compensation. Same number of e-books, just as accessable, only cheaper...

But I'm cheap. And I wasn't raised in the era of digital affluence. You mileage will vary...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote