Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
dlfuller
Enthusiast
dlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Library subset not working on Dropbox

I'm just starting out and trying CC Demo. Most settings are their defaults.

My problem has been getting a library to work on Dropbox. Not my entire Calibre Library, but just a subset. At first my newly-created library folder in Dropbox was not recognized when attempting to connect to it from CC. It would appear in the CC connect browser, but without a green arrow.

I did finally get a working, empty library that I named "Dropbox Calibre Library" and got it recognized by CC.

Then in Calibre, Connect/Share > Connect to Folder, right click a book, and Send to Main Memory on my device. The book was listed as Main in the On Device column. The Jobs indicator would conclude with the log showing a bunch of activities, all finished with zero running times.

Next I'd connect to the library in CC and I get a On Device index. It showed 0 books in Yes and No. Nothing there.

But if I quit CC and simply go directly to the library in Dropbox, the book is there along with a couple metadata and driveinfo files. The book files can be viewed in a reader from within Dropbox. They just seem to be missing from CC. And, why does the Jobs log show steps happening but with no time.

Is the name of the library in Dropbox critical? I still do not understand why it was difficult to get CC to recognize a new empty library folder. Does it need to contain a metadata.db file to be recognized?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
dlfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC's Cloud Connection can see books in honest-to-goodness calibre libraries stored in the cloud. CC cannot see books saved-to-disk or sent-to-folder. CC's Cloud Connection can see books only if they appear in calibre's Library View, not calibre's Device View.

My guess, given what you said, is that you stored books in a directory (folder) using Save to disk/Send to folder, where the destination folder is an empty calibre library. Doing the Save/Send does not add books to that library, but instead actually corrupts the library. You would see the corruption if you opened that library in calibre then used calibre's Check Library function. If you want to put books in an empty library so that CC will see them then you should use calibre's Copy to Library function, usually available by right-clicking on a book and choosing Copy to library. This function copies the book and adds that book to the calibre library database in the new library.

I need to ask: if you are using Send to folder then why not use CC's wireless device connection and send directly to CC?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
dlfuller
Enthusiast
dlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enoughdlfuller will become famous soon enough

I may have partly solved my problem, but something still just does not feel right. Am I missing an important concept?

From my main Calibre Library, if I instead click on a book, Copy to Library, and select "Dropbox Calibre Library" in my case, I do end up with a book which now shows up in CC. Displayed appropriately in Yes or No under On Device. Still no elapsed time for the operation in the Jobs log.

I can then switch between the main library and the Dropbox library. No device connecting or ejecting required.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfuller View Post
I may have partly solved my problem, but something still just does not feel right. Am I missing an important concept?

From my main Calibre Library, if I instead click on a book, Copy to Library, and select "Dropbox Calibre Library" in my case, I do end up with a book which now shows up in CC. Displayed appropriately in Yes or No under On Device. Still no elapsed time for the operation in the Jobs log.

I can then switch between the main library and the Dropbox library. No device connecting or ejecting required.
What doesn't "feel right", given my answer above? What you describe is what I said is required -- using Copy to Library.

And why is the Jobs Log relevant?

I am not trying to be difficult. Instead I am having trouble understanding what the problem is.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
dlfuller
Enthusiast

Thanks and apologies, Chaley. I missed your reply before my followup post.

I was following a how-to based on sending a book to a Device's and then selecting Main Memory. Not copying the book files into a directory, although the interesting thing is Calibre did transfer files in my example. The catch was CC not recognizing what happened.

Your suggestion to use the Copy to Library function is better. Simpler and more logical without dealing with connecting and ejecting a "device". And, Copy to Library gets a previously empty directory recognized by CC.

Still wonder why zero time elapsed in the Calibre Jobs log.

P.S.
Quote:
I need to ask: if you are using Send to folder then why not use CC's wireless device connection and send directly to CC?
Not using wireless on the Calibre's server. I did try the Content Server on a local network, but the Dropbox approach seemed better in my case.
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
dlfuller
Enthusiast

Sorry. Happened again missing your super quick reply.

Quote:
I am not trying to be difficult. Instead I am having trouble understanding what the problem is.
Not difficult. Helpful. The problem stems from my misdirection in following a how-to based on making a Dropbox directory into a device. And, not understanding how multiple libraries would actually work in practice.

What you describe of course does "feels right". The device thing didn't.

Quote:
And why is the Jobs Log relevant?
Feedback that the operations actually took place.

Thanks again for your help.