Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #31
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
"Because It's There!" [George Mallory, 1924]
Actually, what Mallory said was "Because it's F@#$&-well there", but it's the abridged version that's usually quoted.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Mine is Amazon to Calibre to Kindle. I know some like to visually check the book in K4PC before adding it to Calibre, but I prefer to keep fewer pieces in play. If I ever start seeing problems with books I add, I might put K4PC back into the process.
ApK - there is a very specific reason for the Amazon-Kindle4PC-Calibre-Kindle workflow. It is the process that shall not be named!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Very occasionally, I like to read a newspaper or magazine while I'm sitting at my desk - usually when I'm working on my desktop PC and want to take a short break. It's sometimes easier to fire up the Kindle application than to fetch my physical Kindle.
Makes sense. And I guess k4pc is probably better than an eink device for some stuff like that..big screen, color, etc.
I was probably thinking more in terms of why having it in the Tools process (it sounded like some folks thought k4pc was needed to use the tools without the physical device present...it isn't), but if you actually use the app to read on, it makes even more sense.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 07-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1
ApK - there is a very specific reason for the Amazon-Kindle4PC-Calibre-Kindle workflow. It is the process that shall not be named!
Actually, ApK has valid point—even with factoring in the "Process That Shall Not Be Named." You download the file intended for your Kindle ("Transfer via computer" option) from Amazon to your PC... import to calibre... then send to Kindle. K4PC used to be an absolute requirement for the PTSNBN to work. That's not the case anymore.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-12-2011 at 01:57 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #35
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool never knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Actually, what Mallory said was "Because it's F@#$&-well there", but it's the abridged version that's usually quoted.
i never knew that, sounds quite believable though.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-12-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: fix it
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #36
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool i shall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
i shall say the name, 'VOLDEMORT', maybe that's how it should be referred to here! like, 'just use voldemort'

Last edited by alansplace; 07-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i shall say the name, 'VOLDEMORT', maybe that's how it should be referred to here! like, 'just use voldemort'
I likes, I likes

Last edited by chilady1; 07-12-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #38
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I was surprised that people put the DRM free versions of Amazon books on their Kindles. I thought they only put Non Amazon books that are DRM free on their Kindles.

Am going to have to look into the collections feature of Calibre. That sounds interesting.

Carol
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I guess I was surprised that people put the DRM free versions of Amazon books on their Kindles. I thought they only put Non Amazon books that are DRM free on their Kindles.
For some people, the reason they strip DRM at all is to protect access to their books in case something happens in the future that denies them access through the DRM mechanism. The time to do that is immediately, because you never know when 'the future' is going to happen.

Others don't want any DRM on anything on principle.

In my personal case, it's just an artifact of my workflow for format shifting. I have a lot of DRMed stuff from Amazon on my Kindle, too.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #41
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool my take on this

Quote:

Am going to have to look into the collections feature of Calibre. That sounds interesting.

Carol
i install all books from my calibre library so they use the same author name format & have calibre modified metadata & are placed in author folders on my kindle. i only put a de-drmed amazon book on my kindle if the formatting of the original is so bad i can't stand reading it in that condition, or if it comes w/o a decent toc.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:

Carol
I love the new plug-in - it makes manging my Collections so much easier. Just upload, run the preview to make sure everything looks ok and then create the collections. On top of everything, all my Collections are set up the way I want and within the Collection all books are numbered and ordered so I don't have to figure out the next one to read.

Besides Calibre itself, the Kindle Collections plug-in is hands down one of the best features. It took me a minute to figure it out and with the help of a few folks on the MobileRead I now have my books organized the way I want. Carol - if you can figure out how to sync the non Amazon books, you can do the Kindle Collections plug-in. It is SOOOOO worth it. IMHO!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I remove the DRM immediately after purchase and before it goes on the Kindle. So yeah... everything on my Kindle is DRM free. Once the book's on the Kindle and I'm reading it, it's too easy to forget all about doing it. Can't have that coming back to bite me in the ass down the road.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #44
sadievan
Wizard

Thanks all for your answers. I too remove the DRM as soon as I get a book. Mainly as some have said to protect myself in the future to make sure the books I have today are able to be read on whatever reader I get in the future. It is second nature. But, I have been only putting non amazon DRM free books on my kindle and having the DRMed Amazon books sent directly to the Kindle. Probably in the back of my mind I was wondering if the 'Amazon ereader/ebook Police' would come and cart me away. Of course my husband would say, 'don't worry, after they've had you for a few hours they'd ship you back'. They wouldn't be able to stand me.

It really would be easier to do everything from Calibre. Thanks to all for enlightening me.

Carol
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #45
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I love the new plug-in - it makes manging my Collections so much easier. Just upload, run the preview to make sure everything looks ok and then create the collections. On top of everything, all my Collections are set up the way I want and within the Collection all books are numbered and ordered so I don't have to figure out the next one to read.

Besides Calibre itself, the Kindle Collections plug-in is hands down one of the best features. It took me a minute to figure it out and with the help of a few folks on the MobileRead I now have my books organized the way I want. Carol - if you can figure out how to sync the non Amazon books, you can do the Kindle Collections plug-in. It is SOOOOO worth it. IMHO!
So the Kindle Collections is a plug-in?

Carol