Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
sowee15
sowee15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo glo hd white screen, bricked?

Hi,
While using the internet browser on my kobo glo hd, the screen turned white (blank) and since then it won't start. When I hold the power button down for 5-6 seconds, I see the red light come on and off (as if its turning off). And then, if I hold the power button down again, I see the red light come on and eventually the screen flickers black two times and then stays blank. At this point, if I insert a paperclip and press gently, each time, the screen flickers black two times and then stays blank. While it does so, it is briefly recognized by the computer while USB connected but then it disconnects after 1 second or so.

I tried the finger tap method in both bottom corners without success.

I tried the paper clip factory reset method as detailed on kobo's website without success.

Should I try to load a new image on the sd card?

Thanks!
sowee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
About the only thing you haven't mentioned doing in that is to charge the device. But, with the screen flashing like that, it probably isn't the issue.

You need to try the tap-in-corners factory reset a few times. I never get it the first time. Or the fourth. I don't think the method with paper clip will work as I don't think it is reaching the point where this kicks.

I have sent a link to the image in response to the post in the image request thread. Try that. And consider a new SD card. That just about the only replaceable part in these devices and if they fail can cause symptoms like this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
sowee15

Thanks a lot. I will try the corner tap method more times and the revert to your image if it doesn't work. Thanks! About the SD card, windows said it needed to be formated, so it looks like it is corrupted or broken.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowee15 View Post
About the SD card, windows said it needed to be formated, so it looks like it is corrupted or broken.
No, that's a bad conclusion. Windows doesn't handle removable media with multiple partitions properly. If you insert the SD card into a Windows machine, you will get this error, but it doesn't mean anything.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks a lot. I will try the corner tap method more times and the revert to your image if it doesn't work. Thanks! About the SD card, windows said it needed to be formated, so it looks like it is corrupted or broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, that's a bad conclusion. Windows doesn't handle removable media with multiple partitions properly. If you insert the SD card into a Windows machine, you will get this error, but it doesn't mean anything.
Especially when the partitions are not Windows partitions. If you look at the partitions on the uSD card when mounted on a Windows computer (I use Minitool Partition Wizard), you should see a small unallocated segment, 2 ext4 Linux partitions (rootfs and recoveryfs) and a FAT32 partition. Windows 10 will mount the 2 Linux partitions but does not know how to access them so you'll get the needs to be formatted message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
sowee15

Oh I assumed that since we can connect the kobo via usb and windows recognizes the external storage. Thanks for the clarifications.

By the way, I finally managed to get the "tap the corners" method to work and trigger the restore. The restore began just after the screen flashed black two times while I kept tapping the corners.

Now the kobo looks functional again.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh I assumed that since we can connect the kobo via usb and windows recognizes the external storage. Thanks for the clarifications.
In this case, the the firmware decides what to present to the host computer. And that is why the device is not visible until tap the connect button.
Quote:
By the way, I finally managed to get the "tap the corners" method to work and trigger the restore. The restore began just after the screen flashed black two times while I kept tapping the corners.

Now the kobo looks functional again.
Good to hear.

Tags
glo hd