Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
access wifi without firmware update

Don't have my Kobo yet but is there anyway to access WiFi but not have the firmware automatically updated?

Am I correct that firmware is automatically updated? Or is there an option box that says new firmware available do you wish to update?

Last edited by christopher22; 12-23-2014 at 08:24 PM.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Don't have my Kobo yet but is there anyway to access WiFi but not have the firmware automatically updated?
Yes. Don't sync.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It depends what you mean by "access wifi". Updated firmware will automatically download and install if you do a FULL SYNC with Kobo. If you turn on wifi and browse with the browser, for example, it won't update firmware. Also if you click to download a specific book in your library from Kobo I don't believe it will update. If you press the sync button it definitely will.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I won't sync if I don't want my firmware updated.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is it about 3.12.0 that you don't like or don't want?
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
christopher22
Zealot

It was just I didn't want to have to update if I didn't need to. I couldn't actually use the Kobo until I synched anyways (at least I couldn't find a way around it). It updated to 3.12 anyway. I didn't see a need to update it so I didn't think I should but didn't matter had to update before I could use.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
It was just I didn't want to have to update if I didn't need to. I couldn't actually use the Kobo until I synched anyways (at least I couldn't find a way around it). It updated to 3.12 anyway. I didn't see a need to update it so I didn't think I should but didn't matter had to update before I could use.
Just as a bit of good news, overall, the patches for 3.12.0 are better then 3.11.0.