Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I get a sense of accomplishment watching the pages shrink with my book mark, I enjoy the artwork on the covers.
This was what I was missing most when reading on my Gen 3. Nowadays I mostly read all my unread paper books and are waiting for the ebooks to become better and for them to give a better reading experience.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #47
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrial View Post
My mom goes for a walk to the library every week to borrow up to 11 books a week, I asked her If she wanted a kindle. She said that the titles she would read wouldn't be free.
The typical library system uses Overdrive for their ebooks, which are compatible with the Sony ereaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Tyrpak View Post
A lot of people haven't discovered they can download kindle for FREE onto their MAC, PC, IPAD. So you don't have to buy a kindle device in order to download books.
Yeah, but I don't want to sit in front of a computer and read. Tried it way back in the day, and though monitors have gotten better, it's still not fun. I can curl up with my Kindle in a way I can't with a laptop.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #48
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I get a sense of accomplishment watching the pages shrink with my book mark, I enjoy the artwork on the covers.
I have the same feeling watching those little dots on the Kindle fill up and having it tell me what percentage of the book I've read.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #49
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
I think for many people ereaders are simply beyond their abilities. I've met people who could mess up any piece of electronics they could touch. Not a matter of intelligence, just somehow not one of their talents, for lack of a better word. Most everybody on the forum is more or less self-selected for comfort with technical stuff.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #50
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1997 View Post
I think for many people ereaders are simply beyond their abilities. I've met people who could mess up any piece of electronics they could touch. Not a matter of intelligence, just somehow not one of their talents, for lack of a better word. Most everybody on the forum is more or less self-selected for comfort with technical stuff.
I don't know that I would call it comfort. I see it as a challenge, and I never could turn down a dare!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #51
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1997 View Post
I thought this for a while too, John. But then I handed my Kindle to my dad. He needed a written list of actions to take to boot up his computer and check his Yahoo Mail. But he figured the Kindle out without any instruction whatsoever.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #52
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
I understand the attachment to paper books. I still have a bookcase filled with some of my favorites. But I kind of get the feeling it's more about change; some people are very resistant to it. I'm sure eventually, they'll shift. Someday, our grandchildren's grandchildren will look at pictures of people reading paper books and ask: "Daddy, What's that?"
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #53
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kaufman View Post
I understand the attachment to paper books. I still have a bookcase filled with some of my favorites. But I kind of get the feeling it's more about change; some people are very resistant to it. I'm sure eventually, they'll shift. Someday, our grandchildren's grandchildren will look at pictures of people reading paper books and ask: "Daddy, What's that?"
I hope that NEVER happens. I still get a good feeling walking into a book-store and browsing through, i will never be a complete e-Reader, it's like curling up at night with a toaster, only thinner. I use mine alot, almost exclusively, but when I'm at home sitting on the couch or reading in bed, it's always a book. when I want to go somewhere, it's the e-reader.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #54
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
you wouldn't want to damp kindle in the toilet for a week or stuff it under your bed,or drop it on the floor or sit on it ... i still love paperback coz they are more reliable. I'd like to see the toughbook version for kindle. That would be real fun. That what all these ereaders lack. toughness It is a good toy but they are far too fragile yet...
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #55
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I think e-readers are going to be what the automobile was to horses, in ten or fifteen years paperbacks will still be around but their uses will be different probably more for novelty.
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #56
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
There's really no substitute for the experience of a real book.

I was in Uppsala, Sweden, two weeks ago and discovered a _real_ bookstore. I haven't been in one for years. Wonderful, beautifully bound (and not so beautifully bound) books from floor to ceiling and in piles on the floor. I still haven't learned to read or speak Swedish, and the owner wasn't comfortable with English, but I still had a wonderful time browsing and came away with a bunch of books. Maybe they will motivate me to learn the language!

And my Jetbook Lite and Dell Axim makes it much easier for me to read to a wide variety of places.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #57
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Some interesting - and some bizarre - comments here!

As several people have said it is not an either/or. I LOVE books, and I LOVE reading, what I do not love is carting a whole load of books around with me.

As for robust....paperbacks have been known to fall in the bath while I am reading them....some did not survive the experience!

I find reading good quality print/paper hard backs or large paperbacks very difficult - too heavy to be comfortable, but they look, feel and smell wonderful!

Many of my paperbacks are old from long-keeping or having been acquired from charity shops, and I can assure you dark grey print against a beige or almost orange page is NOT a good reading experience.

I have hundreds of 'real' books and I will not be replacing all of them with electronic versions. What I will not be doing is buying any more paperbacks!
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #58
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I've been reading on hand held devices, up to my Sony 505 for years. My son and his family, whom we are very close to, are aware of this. However, He, his wife and 2 daughters are more likely to ask "What are you doing?" when I'm reading on my 505 (and soon to be Kindle).

It still hasn't sunk in. They are extremely literate and both read as much as they can (with two young daughters). The children like being read to and trying to read for themselves. But it's all pbooks. They go to the library a lot and buy books from Amazon. My son has worked in several areas of the computer and tech field for 15 years; his wife is a museum curator. All except the baby use computers daily (that includes the 6 year old).

So, it is more than a computer literacy issue, or an intelligence issue, or a gadget issue. I don't think there is near the market penetration in e-books or e-readers relative to the press hype or our familiarity.

I also think for most people, books are objects, not data. And they do judge the book by its cover.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I love eBooks, but, on the other hand, there's something about a well-made book that's very satisfying too. I have a number of books that are several hundred years old - several with many owners' signatures in them, and it gives me a real feeling of "continuity" to know that I'm reading the very same book that was being enjoyed by someone 300 years ago. I often wonder who those people were, and what kind of lives they led.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #60
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I remember when I first moved out of my parents home. I had 5 months to the move from New Jersey to San Francisco. In that time I trained 3 different people to do my job at work, sold my car, sold all my records and gave my player to one of my sisters. I got rid of dozens of pairs of shoes and my bedroom furniture. I ended up with 7 Zerox boxes to be sent to me at a later date but did not get rid of my books. They stayed until I over the years, slowly moved them over. I still have most of my big art books (I was a Fine Art Major in college) with me today, 30 years later. I didn't get rid of my National Geographic collection till I got the DVD set. I still miss my Golden Book Encyclopedia set which I gave to the library. I also still have a S**tload of comic books. A book is more than a story, it can be a memory. If someone would put the full Golden Book Encyclopedia in a pdf form with all the color pictures I would buy it in a second for my iPad. I just can't buy the physical book again, they take up too much space and it took me forever to give them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden_Book_Encyclopedia.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	56918   Click image for larger version

Name:	!B0(946!EGk~$(KGrHqF,!hUEw5Drw8(KBM,E(ri7Zg~~_12.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	56920  

Last edited by pagansoul; 08-20-2010 at 12:59 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, converts, e-readers, kindle, technology