Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #31
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob612 View Post
... but what i really wanted was a BOOK. A permanent book. Stand alone, only thing it needs is a changer, and that too not too often. I dont think to the K2i i have as a tech tool. I just see it as a book with a huge library permenently attached to it, just weighting grams instead of tons. And i just LOVE it that way
Amen to that !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #32
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Not a Kindle owner here but I am damn curious to know exactly what Amazon could offer in the new Kindle.

From what I can see is;
- Perhaps a processor upgrade, however there is a trade off between increased speed and reduced battery life.
- Increase internal storage from 2GB to 4+GB.
- WiFi seems the latest craze, doesn't seem to fit in with Amazon's service but they might include one.
- Given the Amazon cloud and 3G I don't see them bringing back a SD slot (plus it would make the Kindle thicker).

I don't actually see there being much of an upgrade. Somehow I feel it would be more firmware and a new physical design than anything else.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Not a Kindle owner here but I am damn curious to know exactly what Amazon could offer in the new Kindle.

From what I can see is;
- Perhaps a processor upgrade, however there is a trade off between increased speed and reduced battery life.
- Increase internal storage from 2GB to 4+GB.
- WiFi seems the latest craze, doesn't seem to fit in with Amazon's service but they might include one.
- Given the Amazon cloud and 3G I don't see them bringing back a SD slot (plus it would make the Kindle thicker).

I don't actually see there being much of an upgrade. Somehow I feel it would be more firmware and a new physical design than anything else.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Possibly the new higher contrast screen that PVI/eInk has been showing off. Whatever it is it's probably likely to be an evolutionary change (like the upgrades you mention) than any kind of revolutionary change.

It'd be nice if they added ePub support and upgraded collections to allow nested tags, but I doubt we'll see either of those.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
According to this story (and others when you Google "New Kindle"),
  1. "thinner than existing models"
    • but will battery be harder to replace?
  2. "sharper ... display"
    • new 12:1 vizplex display (vs. current 7:1)?
  3. "more responsive display"
    • faster processor? but worse battery life?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
According to this story (and others when you Google "New Kindle"),
  1. "thinner than existing models"
    • but will battery be harder to replace?
  2. "sharper ... display"
    • new 12:1 vizplex display (vs. current 7:1)?
  3. "more responsive display"
    • faster processor? but worse battery life?
how much thinner do they want it!? I've been using the K2 for a month now after almost 2 years with the K1. I have to say, that other than the corners, I kind of preferred the heft in my hand of the K1. it just felt better!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
For me to buy a new Kindle they would have to go for a 10 inch Pixel QI screen.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #37
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It really is plenty thin the way it is now, I just hope they keep it at a price point that will allow it to remain competitive
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
Ignatz Mouse
Zealot
Ignatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch, Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Possibly the new higher contrast screen that PVI/eInk has been showing off. Whatever it is it's probably likely to be an evolutionary change (like the upgrades you mention) than any kind of revolutionary change.

It'd be nice if they added ePub support and upgraded collections to allow nested tags, but I doubt we'll see either of those.
I'm still waiting before buying one reader. Hesitating between the future Asus ans the future Bookeen Orizon. ( waiting on tests of these )

But I'm sure of one thing : If Amazon had added epub support to Kindle DX, I had bought one since a long time !
Ignatz Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #39
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I cant really think of any technical upgrade worth the the actual upgrade od the K2i (ok, that sounds cacophonic, i know ).

Of course any improvement would be nice, but personally i dont feel the need. There are a few things id like to see, but honestly, even improving the processor speed and the display responsiveness would not do anything that will make me really want to upgrade. If i have to think to something, i would like to have the page buttons layed out slightly different, but thats because of my reading postions habits and i adapted very easily to how they are now and, perhaps mor important to me, but I am a color freak, being a photographer i do notice certain details, i would change the white framing with either a neustral (18%) grey or another darker color just to make the eink diplay background look more "white" as the contrast with the frame make it look darker than what it is. Again, nothing that one cant get used to, and very easily. Overall, I'm an happy camper the way it is, even if they dont improve anything, i really dont care.

Thinner ? hmmm... not sure it would be a good thing, i have it in its original leather jacket and i personally like a bit of thinkness, as long as it doesnt increase the weight, so... as is, works for me.

Battey life ? Im happy with it, and i do travel a lot. I have to say that i always travel with a notebok or netbook anyway, so that makes things easier for charging if needed.

WiFi ? What for, afterall ? to use more battery ? I even keep the wireless usually turned off, unless i need to shop, and being the 3G conection free, i can absolutely wait the limted speed I achieve on that, if im up for shoppng for a book, it just means i have the time for it. Otherwise, i'd be busy doing something else.

The real improvements i'd like to see arent feasible i guess. Id like to be able to log in onto another library (i.e. B&N) and shop on that as well, but afterall i do understand the market needs, and Amazon was really the main reason i went for the K2i, only thing i really wanted was a huge library behind it.

As i said before, to me its just a book. With lots of pages and titles and stuff to read The delay in turning pages ? well yes, its there, but... how long does it takes to turn a paper page ? More or less, thats it. And if youre in some weird position (i.e. on a beach with lots of wind, where you keep the book not fuly opne but usually wrapped on itself because of the wind) it may take even more. So, thats a non issue for me.
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote