Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, reading on paper isn't slower, so it's a silly name.

I feel no need to call it anything as I still prefer reading on paper to reading on my Kindle--especially for academic stuff I need to be able to skim through quickly, highlight and annotate etc.

The main draw of ebooks for me is just having an easy way to acquire books I'm only going to read once instantly, and not have a physical book I won't touch again to have to find space for, or sell/donate or hassle with the library. Just much more convenient for leisure reading.

But experience wise--while I'm 100% fine with e-books for leisure reading--I do still prefer a paper book.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
"Ardeegee", I mean, er, Darren Garrison, you are a keen observer of life.

As for the term "snail-book" or "snail-reader"....I am now convinced it does not work, neither of them does. But this "research" did lead me to a new word ....."snailpaper" or "snail-paper"...for the snail version of the local print newspaper which usually arrives on my doorstep in the morning with news that is already 12 hours old and stale...

do you like that term, Darren? Snailpaper...for print editions of newspapers, which likely will be dinosaurs in a few years anyways?

Darren, it was simple and easy to google your name and find you. three seconds. the reason i deleted earlier thread comments is that you did your best to ruin everything i was posting about. you went on and on psychoanalyzing me in your amateur way, completely off base, completely wrong, and then you posted that nasty post about my recent bout with ill-heath -- which the mods finally noticed and took off the website and I think they warned you about that too -- ......I didn't erase db's presence here. It's all cached anyways.

Why don't you try for a while, Darren, to be a constructive person of things, rather than a destroyer? You come across as a very negative person here. Try looking at the bright side of things sometimes, too. If you really want to chat with me, talk, face to face, email me at danbloom in the gmail dept and we can chat. I am sure you will get to like me, once you sit down and chat with me. And then we can be friends.....?

Last edited by taglines; 11-20-2009 at 11:49 PM.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, reading on paper isn't slower, so it's a silly name.

I feel no need to call it anything as I still prefer reading on paper to reading on my Kindle--especially for academic stuff I need to be able to skim through quickly, highlight and annotate etc.

The main draw of ebooks for me is just having an easy way to acquire books I'm only going to read once instantly, and not have a physical book I won't touch again to have to find space for, or sell/donate or hassle with the library. Just much more convenient for leisure reading.

But experience wise--while I'm 100% fine with e-books for leisure reading--I do still prefer a paper book.
dmaul, yeh, i agree with you. reading on paper is not slower, so it's a silly name.......i was barking up the wrong there. But what about calling our daily print newspapers that come to our doorsteps with news that is already 12 hours stale and old as "snailpapers"? Does that ring a bell?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
taglines
Banned

Darren Garrison, when you noted "that probably IS Dan Bloom, trying to get a fresh start...."

Darren, Don't we all deserve a chance at a fresh start? What's wrong with a fresh start, once one admits he started off on the wrong foot?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
Darren Garrison, when you noted "that probably IS Dan Bloom, trying to get a fresh start...."

Darren, Don't we all deserve a chance at a fresh start? What's wrong with a fresh start, once one admits he started off on the wrong foot?
Ah, Dan Bloom, but the rub is, you had the second account WHILE STILL POSTING AS DAN BLOOM. You were even replying to yourself in threads, giving supporting messages to yourself. That is, as I mentioned earlier, called sockpuppeting. It is a form of lying. Deception. Dishonesty. Showing poor character. Most forums have explicit rules against posting under multiple accounts (though MobileRead doesn't seem to.) It is not something done honestly by a reputable person.

And then, in this thread, you say

"I was thinking the other day about how I hate reading on paper surfaces these days when I can read much more comfy on my e-reader."

Based on everything else you have said in the past, this is a lie, Dan. You think reading on paper is the bestest thing in the world, and you think reading off screens is the end of critical thinking. You made up a fictional character for yourself and posted lies so that you could continue doing exactly what you have done before that "started you off on the wrong foot"-- starting thread after thread about "do we need a new word for x" just so that you could promote your new words that you think are soooooo important.

I wasn't the only one to criticize your starting multiple threads about nothing, Dan. I was just the one who did my homework on your background. For instance, looking at other web sites that have

1.) articles about ebook technology and
2.) comment sections

where almost all the "comments" have been you posting essay after essay after essay that you have written about how different ebook reading is from "real" reading and how everyone needs to use all the new words that you come up with. Those comment sections become an extension of your multiple blogs. I just would hate to see this forum, which in generally filled with intelligent, reasonable people, to be turned into another outpost of Dan Bloom blogs unchallenged.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #21
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and then you posted that nasty post about my recent bout with ill-heath -- which the mods finally noticed and took off the website and I think they warned you about that too
1.) the line "I think we broke him" was light humor, nothing more

2.) Nope, no warning at all. (Though I was a bit put off by the moderator editing my message.)

Quote:
Why don't you try for a while, Darren, to be a constructive person of things, rather than a destroyer? You come across as a very negative person here.
Not at all a negative person. As you'll see in most of my other posts (except for ones involving Sarah Palin, or continued misunderstanding of how holograms don't work.)

Sorry you failed to bother me with your googling up my name and using it here. I'm sure you were hoping to upset me in some way. Here, enjoy a full-size version of my avatar!

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2009/08/post-41.html

Last edited by ardeegee; 11-21-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #22
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Ever since snail mail became popular, back in 1981 I think, I was thinking the other day about how I hate reading on paper surfaces these days when I can read much more comfy on my e-reader, and could we call that old-school traditional kind of paper reading as "snail reading"....?
Two things. Email became popular AFTER the first DOS PC in 1982. Probably didn't qualify as "popular" (as opposed maybe "convenient") for a few more years.

Second thing is that while "snail mail" is catchy, rhymes, and immediately causes one to think of mail that is slow, "snail reading" isn't catchy, doesn't rhyme, and immediately made me think of running around the garden with a magnifying glass searching for mollusks with itty bitty printing on their shells.

Sorry. Just doesn't work for me.

Considering the feeling I am getting that the only way to get a nook is to preorder 30 days in advance in 30 day increments, I would be willing to go with "snail nook", tho.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #23
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I think we can pretty well conclude from now on that anyone starting a thread with "do we need a new word for [blank]" is Dan Bloom.

Probably someone who thinks wearing glasses is a clever disguise.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Sockpuppetry is the lowest of all Troll art forms.

I never respond to sockpuppet threads.

er... oh, never mind.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #25
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Yup, this whole "Do we need a new word for" thing is really just kind of sad. Dan, how about instead of trying to force new words on people (which is what you are clearly trying to do with your posts here and your pathetic article about constantly having submissions rejected from the Urban Dictionary), you just let words naturally progress and evolve as they will? Talk about someone with a wholly inappropriate name...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

How about this, posted by yourself:

Quote:
From this moment on, I will never post a new thread here again, I promise, you have my word. I will read other posts, I will comment, but I will not post anything new here as a thread ever ever ever.
For someone who seems obsessed by the meaning of words, it's curious that your own word seems to mean so very little.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

BTW, for those curious about "snail mail" or "snailmail", it doesn't start showing up on Usenet until 1992:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=b&sitesearch=

"Snail mail" has a few isolated mentions in print media (at least, the subset of print media indexed by Google) in the 1980s, and even ones as early as the 1950s

http://news.google.com/archivesearch...nav=od&btnG=Go

The compound word "snailmail" has isolated print media instances as early as the nineteen teens, but, like "snail mail," doesn't seem to have gained popularity until the 1990s:

Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I've started to grow lazy and don't want to go to the work of pronouncing a word as complex as "read". Now, I just settle for "do". I do stuff. Good word. Multifunctional too.
(do is pronounced like in Chinese, which means to read)
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I've started to grow lazy and don't want to go to the work of pronouncing a word as complex as "read". Now, I just settle for "do". I do stuff. Good word. Multifunctional too.
(do is pronounced like in Chinese, which means to read)
Yes, but how do you differentiate how you do stuff while you're standing vs when you're sitting? Or what if you are doing the cereal box while you're eating breakfast as opposed to doing the morning's news? And what about when you're watching TV and you need to do the news crawls on the bottom of the screen? All of those are ENTIRELY different, and thus need NEW WORDS to describe them!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
BTW, for those curious about "snail mail" or "snailmail", it doesn't start showing up on Usenet until 1992:

"Snail mail" has a few isolated mentions in print media (at least, the subset of print media indexed by Google) in the 1980s, and even ones as early as the 1950s

The compound word "snailmail" has isolated print media instances as early as the nineteen teens, but, like "snail mail," doesn't seem to have gained popularity until the 1990s:

That is pretty much to be expected. Snail mail doesn't have anything to do with the documents we call mail but rather with the post office that takes days/weeks to deliver it. Thus email is almost instant delivery while snail mail takes a while to get delivered. It wasn't until the late 80's and earlier 90's that email suddenly made main stream and the comparison made sense.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, chapters, ebooks, ink, life