Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Indiana Jones-ish

Ok I've been reading hard sci-fi, history, and otherwise "heavy" stuff for a while and I'm looking for a little adventure.

Can anyone recommend some good fiction in the vein of the Indiana Jones movies? I know that sounds weird; asking for a book recommendation based on a movie, but I want to read a little adventure, mystery, action, with some archeology and pseudo-history thrown in.

Any ideas?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Right now, go get the first 4 books in the Hal Spacejock series without hesitating. They are hilarious and Hal bounces from one adventure to the next in rapid succession. The first book is free here at MR, look for author Simon Haynes in the uploads.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Ok I've been reading hard sci-fi, history, and otherwise "heavy" stuff for a while and I'm looking for a little adventure.

Can anyone recommend some good fiction in the vein of the Indiana Jones movies? I know that sounds weird; asking for a book recommendation based on a movie, but I want to read a little adventure, mystery, action, with some archeology and pseudo-history thrown in.

Any ideas?
F Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, he's like an Equalizer type avenger that gets involved in all kinds of thrilling situations, sometimes even with supernatural monsters. There's quite a few in the series, the first is The Tomb.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Right now, go get the first 4 books in the Hal Spacejock series without hesitating. They are hilarious and Hal bounces from one adventure to the next in rapid succession. The first book is free here at MR, look for author Simon Haynes in the uploads.
I searched for that author and didn't find any books here on MR. Are they available anywhere else?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I searched for that author and didn't find any books here on MR. Are they available anywhere else?

Ahh sorry, he's still in print and I think you can get his novels on the Kindle, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Oops I gave you a reply when you were talking to someone else

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-31-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm so sorry! You're right, it's no longer in the uploads. Well, it is at his "home" publisher, Freemantle Press, and the first book is a free download. The other 3 came out to $9+change when it was converted to USD from AUD. Each book so far has been more hilarious than the one before.

Oh yeah, the thing about Freemantle is, be ready to wait until tomorrow to get your books. They email them to you, but they are closed for the night over there right now. Probably tomorrow morning when you log into your email, they will be waiting for you.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the Spacejock free book. I'm still looking for some non-Spacer stuff, like archeological adventures.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
How about Clive Cussler?

(Trivia: Cussler wrote the novel 'Raise the Titanic', made into a 1980 film that was very bad and very expensive. On seeing how much the film was costing him to make, Lew Grade famously quipped "Raise The Titanic? - it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic" )

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-31-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There are all the H Rider Haggard books in the free books section here. Alan Quatermain was one of the characters that Indiana Jones was based on. There are also Solomon Kane Stories (Robert Howard, the originator of Conan) available.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Arnold Grundel
Arnold Grundel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hmm... Let's see. Most of the ones I have read may not be up to the par that you are requesting. Sorry but I can't think of any. However, I bet if you were to look online in an audio books website and search what you are looking for; they might have it.

Glad to be of any assistance,
A. Grundel
Arnold Grundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I saw the "Alexander Cipher" on Sony's site that might interest you. It's an archaeology/mystery/thriller/fluff book. I can't give you my opinion though, as I haven't read it. But if you do, please let me know how it is

I should know more, since I did major in Archaeology! I know there's more in the recesses of my brain, I just have to think about it..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
There are all the H Rider Haggard books in the free books section here. Alan Quatermain was one of the characters that Indiana Jones was based on. There are also Solomon Kane Stories (Robert Howard, the originator of Conan) available.
Definitely second the H Rider Haggard books, especially the Quatermain ones.

The Amelia Peabody series (by Elizabeth Peters) looks like it might possibly be what you're after, but I've never got round to reading any...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Despite all the bashing many of us give him, Dan Brown is an author to consider given your attribute list.

I have a soft spot for military fiction. How about Tom Clancy, say Rainbow Six?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
astrodad
Guru

I've read Dan Brown and while I thought the stories could have been very interesting, they were poorly executed and I vowed never to read anything of his again. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, though!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Sounds like you want Doc Savage..... (By the By, The Movie is now out on Warner Achive DVD - 16x9 anamorphic widescreen. Just got mine today!)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote