Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
justinmg
justinmg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thinking of getting a 505

I am thinking of getting a 505 in the UK. I would use it mainly for medical texts which I have in PDF. I know there are problems.
If the native size is 6 x 9 inches for most of the texts, will I still have trouble. I know that 8 x11 gives a poor display.

I have read about pdflrf and dont mind putting a little time into optimising the texts.

Is there a way I can simulate what the text would look like (by fiddling with acrobat on the PC). I would like to check the output quality before commiting the cash.
Apart from pdflrf, what other, if any options should I look at........?

Or should I just get an iRex which looks a bit bulky and needs to boot up!

Thanks.
justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
justinmg--

You can download the Sony Connect software from http://ebookstore.sony.com/downloadclient.html

That'll allow you to view the books as they would appear on your reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Also consider a sub-notebook device instead... You might be able to see what it looks like by putting a doc or two onto an SD card & taking it along to a Waterstones or Sony Centre?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
justinmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
justinmg--

You can download the Sony Connect software from http://ebookstore.sony.com/downloadclient.html

That'll allow you to view the books as they would appear on your reader.

dordale
I have loaded the eBook libraby software, but it displays the book on my large monitor screen, so looks perfect. When I try to shrink the window to the size of a Reader window, the content does not shrink. Am I meant to be able to simulate the way the reader would present the book, or does this ust turn it into black and white?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmg View Post
I have loaded the eBook libraby software, but it displays the book on my large monitor screen, so looks perfect.
The text window should be 600x800 pixels, just like the PRS-505's screen. To get a good idea of what this will look like on the PRS-505, make a screenshot (How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows) and print the resulting image to paper with 167 pixels per inch (3.6" by 4.8").
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... that's 90x120mm for those of us in the "real world" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
When you open a book in the Ebook library software, go to the bar at the bottom of the screen and click the square box with arrows in it.
Then you will get to a view that emulates the one on the Reader.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that, in the "full screen" view which Patricia's just described how to get to, the number of lines of text displayed, and the number of words on each line, will be identical to that of the real Reader, but on most modern monitors, the whole thing will be a lot larger than it is on the actual Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
justinmg

OK print screening should do it. Thanks.