Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Chargers

A couple of posts in other threads got me to thinking about chargers.
So two quick questions.
Do you always use the charger that came with the device?
Or do you have multiple chargers?
I know I have multiple chargers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
So two quick questions.
I have many chargers.

I carry my bookreader , a pair of Bluetooth stereo speakers, and my phone on me, so I have a setup by my bed to charge all of these plus a tablet and an extra phone battery.

I bought charger online that take traveling which will handle six 2.1 amp devices simultaneously.

I keep 3 x 2.1 amp chargers in my glove box.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have that 6 one. I will have to look for that 3. Is it the 12V or a USB on the plug end?
I also have a few portable chargers.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
So two quick questions.
We do use the chargers that came with our iDevices, but also use others we've purchased. We have 3 Anker multi-port chargers...2 have 5 ports, 1 has 6. All are "smart" in that they charge each device at the level the device needs, only charging slower if all the ports are in use.

The 6 port is new, "Anker PowerPort 6 60W Wall Charger, 6 USB Ports, High-Speed Charging with PowerIQ and VoltageBoost"

I love these chargers for when we travel. It means only needing 1 outlet for 5-6 devices.

We don't buy dollar store chargers or cables. I also have 3-4 Amazon chargers, a 9W that I use for the 10" Fire that is mounted in the kitchen. The 5W chargers are backups. There are 3 iPad chargers here, and 3 iPhone chargers also, all used or left in the spare room, and the office.

I'm a huge fan of Anker.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
We do use the chargers that came with our iDevices, but also use others we've purchased. We have 3 Anker multi-port chargers...2 have 5 ports, 1 has 6. All are "smart" in that they charge each device at the level the device needs, only charging slower if all the ports are in use.

The 6 port is new, "Anker PowerPort 6 60W Wall Charger, 6 USB Ports, High-Speed Charging with PowerIQ and VoltageBoost"

I love these chargers for when we travel. It means only needing 1 outlet for 5-6 devices.

We don't buy dollar store chargers or cables. I also have 3-4 Amazon chargers, a 9W that I use for the 10" Fire that is mounted in the kitchen. The 5W chargers are backups. There are 3 iPad chargers here, and 3 iPhone chargers also, all used or left in the spare room, and the office.

I'm a huge fan of Anker.
No dollar store chargers or cords here either. One thing I wouldn't trust.
I do have a ton of cheap stylus.
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So two quick questions.
Quick count says 7 chargers in the house. 3 are Apple iPad 5.1V/2.1A, 1 is an iPhone, 1 is from my Nexus tablet (mfg. by Asus), 1 is an old Blackberry charger and the last is a 5 port wall plug adapter. In the car, I have a dual port that allows 1A on both ports simultaneously or 2A using one port plus a couple of USB ports that belong to the car's audio system which are good for ~450mA each.

I've gone through quite a few devices and try to pack the original charger with them when I sell or give them away.

I've had several co-workers/friends who have had issues with low-end chargers such as found the the local Chinese Night Market. One was purchased since the the label on the charger said it was 5V/2.1A suitable for his iPad. When it didn't work, we peeled it open and found a circuit card labeled for 5V/0.5A. Then there was another friend who purchased a Lightning cable which smoked and damaged his iPhone 5 the first time he plugged it into his charger -- nice looking cable with a braided cover.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Chargers

With the title of the thread, I was thinking the L.A. Chargers.

Anyone seen the Chargers play live? How about the tail gate party, probably a lot of good food.

Is it "tail gate" or "tale gate"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I use my Sony charger and cell phone charger interchangeably. Haven't noticed any problem doing this.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I use a 6 port charger that has 2.1 amps per port so I never have to worry about having enough power for whatever device I plug in. I also keep the chargers that came with my devices but those lower than 2 amps I usually put in a box or give to neighbors. When I need a charger I'll use any one of those. Again, I don't want to have to worry about it having enough power.

At this point, with a few exceptions, I doubt I can figure out what charger came with what device. I doubt I'll ever need to know.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I use a 6 port charger that has 2.1 amps per port so I never have to worry about having enough power for whatever device I plug in. I also keep the chargers that came with my devices but those lower than 2 amps I usually put in a box or give to neighbors. When I need a charger I'll use any one of those. Again, I don't want to have to worry about it having enough power.

At this point, with a few exceptions, I doubt I can figure out what charger came with what device. I doubt I'll ever need to know.

Barry
I know my Samsung because they have Samsung on them.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have multiple chargers. Since chargers tend to outlive the devices and the original batteries they were intended to charge, most of the chargers in the house are "brand name" devices.

I have a dollar store charger in the car that has two USB-style outlets. For the past several years I've been making frequent long (4 hours or more each way) trips. I've never had a problem charging the phone, an ereader, an MP3 player, or anything else.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I was looking at all my chargers a couple of weeks back, before my last trip. Trying to figure out what I really needed to bring.

The netbook charger wouldn't fit anything else so that one must be proprietary. The phone charger looks like the same as my ebook charger so I figured that must be interchangeable. The battery on the ereader rarely needs to be charged (even though it's a Sony) so I figured I could charge the ereader if needed from the phone charger. It wasn't necessary though.

I have a Sony charger for my ereaders that use the separate wall charger. The ones that don't, I use a USB cord and the plug end from my Nook charger to plug it into the wall to charge. The Nook HD and HD+ chargers are proprietary but the end that plugs into the thingy that goes into the outlet to charge is a basic USB end so I use it for lots of devices.

I've bought USB cords from the dollar store, never a charger though. I have some devices I don't know what charger came with them so I use whatever fits.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I always charge my tablet with the cord it came with (mainly because I plug it in only at night and the charger is in my bedroom).

I use a wireless charger for my phone. I sometimes use the cord it came with, but also use a portable flashlight charger and the ultra short cord that came with it if I am out and about (it was "free" when I bought my phone).

I use my old Sony cord (from my previous smart phone) to charge my Mom's old Samsung Mini which I took over and now use as a music player. I also use the old Sony cord when I charge the Moto phone which I use as my portable music player.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
3-port Ikea charger
2 USB ports in a power cube
2 Apple iPad chargers
6 or 8 port branded USB charger with multiple plugs for traveling
two USB chargers by my bed for charging iPhone/iPad and microUSB charging
Portable battery with two USB ports
Car charger with three USB ports
One USB port in a plug adapter for charging iPhone/Reader
One USB port in the Surface Pro 2 power pack
bunch of Apple iPhone chargers
a few miscellaneous USB chargers
B&N USB charger

So basically, I've plenty of USB chargers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With an iPad you need to use the supplied charger; an iPad won't charge from a standard USB charger, although an iPhone will. The iPad requires 10W to charge (5V @2A) compared to the USB standard of 5V @1A. The reverse is not true, though: the iPad charger will charge standard USB devices.

All my other devices, I just use whatever USB charger is closest at hand. I have a couple of them permanently plugged into wall sockets - one in the kitchen and the other in my bedroom - and just connect whatever device requires charging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote