Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your preferred way of referring to non-ebooks?
'Pbook' (short for print book or printed book) 10 8.33%
'Pbook' (short for paper book) 13 10.83%
'Pbook' (short for physical book) 7 5.83%
'Pbook' (never thought about what it's short for) 4 3.33%
'Print Book' or 'Printed Book' 10 8.33%
'Paper Book' 48 40.00%
'Physical Book' 14 11.67%
'DTB' (short for dead tree book) 9 7.50%
'Dead Tree Book' 14 11.67%
'Real Book' 4 3.33%
'Spine Book' or 'Spined Book' 0 0%
'Book' 35 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
What is your preferred way of referring to non-ebooks? (when needing to distinguish)

I've noticed a few different words for this so wanted to see what others think.

I am of course referring to instances of needing to distinguish from ebooks; otherwise I'm aware that most of us would just call them books. Note that I did still include plain 'book' since some may prefer this but consider carefully before voting this option as it would obviously be the most confusing and least clear of the options (e.g. this would mean that those who only read ebooks would state, 'Oh, I never read books anymore').

I've included both some shortened forms and long forms of which one or the other might be used. I've also included varying interpretations of 'pbook' since, though I know the original intention, I've heard people interpret it in different ways.

The vote is multiple choice so vote for whichever you prefer to use.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am assuming you mean on the internet.
For my cookbooks, they are referred to as HB, PB, SP, and BL in the catalog (digital not card).
HB is hardback, PB is paperback, SP is spiral and BL is booklet.
I do hope this helps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am assuming you mean on the internet.
Both on the internet and off.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Both on the internet and off.
In that case, glad I gave a detailed answer.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Typed: "pbook" if/when I need to distinguish medium, otherwise just "book"

Spoken: "printed book" or "paper book", again only if/when I need to distinguish medium.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Paper book for me...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And for human voice recorder books, I call them "audio books".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Then eBooks must be 'Unreal books'

Accountants keep 'Books'
Bookies keep your Money . Wait, that is also what Publishers do
You 'Book' a reservation.

What is it with this needing a precise label for a format?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Then eBooks must be 'Unreal books'

Accountants keep 'Books'
Bookies keep your Money . Wait, that is also what Publishers do
You 'Book' a reservation.

Well in my case, it is to make it easier to find a specific book.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It's not about precise labelling but rather curiosity on what labels people do use. It's fine if they use any of these but there's a need to be able to somehow distinguish from ebooks.

I think there's a plethora of options because those of us who need to distinguish from ebooks constantly enough to use any of these terms are a small minority of the population (heavy readers who read ebooks, and the publishing industry) and so we haven't settled on one term or meaning yet; instead we seem to come up with more new ones!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
My books are tagged as *ebook or *print at LibraryThing... The * prefix is to bring the tags to the top of my tag list.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In real life, I use 'book' and 'e-book.'

Online/MR, where an e-book is often also seen as a book, I use 'pbook' and 'e-book.'

Don't ask me why I don't put a dash between the p and b in pbook. I just took the terms from the internet 10 years ago, and back then, they were spelled as such.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
"Paper book" when I'm aiming for clarity, pbook or treebook for short.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:29 AM   #14
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I chose 'Print Book' or 'Printed Book' but I actually tend to refer to them as 'paperback edition' (meaning mass market paperback size), 'trade paperback', or 'hardcover'.

I keep a listing of all the books I own in Word, organized by authors. It includes the book title, series info, publishing date, and formats. When I started I had mostly paperbacks, so if nothing is notated for format I only own the paperback. Otherwise I notate "have trade paperback edition" or "have hardcover edition" or "have digital edition" or "have hardcover & digital editions" (or whatever the combination is). I've continued labeling the same way even though I went 99% digital several years ago.

But even though I have a bunch of formats (LIT, PDF, MOBI, PMLZ, ePub, etc) they are all labeled as 'digital book' since I've used Calibre to convert them all to ePub. I don't tend to differentiate between digital formats unless the discussion calls for it. I also use 'eBook' as often as 'digital book' when talking about them (either in person or online).
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
When talking with friends paper books are books and "e-books" are digital files.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote