Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #30691
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Yeah--sometimes I forget, and leave the office (phone) forward on to my home office, and sure as sh*t, my "phone" will ring at midnight, or some other time. When I try to politely say, "Ma'am, it's midnight here," they will just keep right on yakking. I'm like...Uhr? MID-NIGHT HERE.

If you're in any type of "internet" business, people expect you to be open 24/7, people in the office to answer calls, take complaints, etc. I must be VERY successful, (phlllbbbfffftttt) that's all I can say, to have people in my office 24 hours a day to sit around on the night shift and do nothing but pick their teeth and answer the occasional call--the BURNING issue of, "how do I get my book converted?" Yup, that's a go**amn middle-of-the-night emergency, all right. Charlie gets that, too.

(n.b.: yes, yes, I know that not everyone lives in the US. Oddly enough, or, maybe, not oddly a'tall, I've never had a 3:00 a.m. call from some person in NZ or AUS, or JPN, looking for help. Only from folks in the US/CAN. All of the folks from Asia, NZ, AUS, etc., actually read the d*mned website, and either call me during biz hours, or they email and ask for a non-biz hours call, which I'm happy to schedule. I've called clients at 3:00 a.m.; I'll do that. I just don't like to do it sans notice.)

I think it's carried over into B&M, too, which is where Rumple comes in. It's AMAZING. As much as I wish I had everything in the whole universe at my fingertips, I understand that people need time off!!!

/mini-rant, mostly on Rumple's behalf. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #30692
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yeah--sometimes I forget, and leave the office (phone) forward on to my home office, and sure as sh*t, my "phone" will ring at midnight, or some other time. When I try to politely say, "Ma'am, it's midnight here," they will just keep right on yakking. I'm like...Uhr? MID-NIGHT HERE.

If you're in any type of "internet" business, people expect you to be open 24/7, people in the office to answer calls, take complaints, etc. I must be VERY successful, (phlllbbbfffftttt) that's all I can say, to have people in my office 24 hours a day to sit around on the night shift and do nothing but pick their teeth and answer the occasional call--the BURNING issue of, "how do I get my book converted?" Yup, that's a go**amn middle-of-the-night emergency, all right. Charlie gets that, too.

(n.b.: yes, yes, I know that not everyone lives in the US. Oddly enough, or, maybe, not oddly a'tall, I've never had a 3:00 a.m. call from some person in NZ or AUS, or JPN, looking for help. Only from folks in the US/CAN. All of the folks from Asia, NZ, AUS, etc., actually read the d*mned website, and either call me during biz hours, or they email and ask for a non-biz hours call, which I'm happy to schedule. I've called clients at 3:00 a.m.; I'll do that. I just don't like to do it sans notice.)

I think it's carried over into B&M, too, which is where Rumple comes in. It's AMAZING. As much as I wish I had everything in the whole universe at my fingertips, I understand that people need time off!!!

/mini-rant, mostly on Rumple's behalf. :-)

Hitch
We once had a guy show up at our house on a Sunday morning needing something from where hubby works. Note: they are closed on Sundays, they have to let the alarm company know in advance if they are going to be there on a Sunday (happens occasionally when non-customer stuff needs done) and most importantly hubby doesn't have keys or codes. (His choice. )
We do not live near the shop.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #30693
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

@Rumpelteazer: I definitely feel your pain. As an IT person, I'm somehow supposed to be available 24/7, even though I'm ONLY a 20 hour a week employee, by contract. And yes, I'd definitely add a flat fee for after hours. And when they call, say "Sure, I can do that for you. But you are aware that we have an after hours surcharge, of course."
A funny thing happened yesterday. My parents were at the supermarket and I was upstairs working on a watercolour project when the doorbell rang. I didn't expect a package and my parents weren't expecting one (otherwise I would have known). I didn't want to walk away from my project and reasoned that if it probably was a customer and if it was something important they would either call or ring the doorbell again. Which didn't happen.

It turns out it was a package, for my sister. Because she works on weekdays she has her packages delivered to us. However, she should know that on Monday the store's closed and there's a fair chance that nobody's at home to receive a package. The shop she ordered from has the service that if the item is in stock and if you order it before 11pm it gets delivered the next day. So she could have known. Now she's annoyed she has to go to the post office to pick it up and she has to wait until Saturday because she has to go to work before it opens and gets back home after it closes. Hopefully this'll teach her.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #30694
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I love karma! One of the girls at work dropped her new phone behind the counter. The one that is secured to the wall and the floor. The gap is maybe half an inch between the backspalsh of the counter and the wall. There's no way to even see it down there nor get it out without sawing thru the back of the counter. Which we're not going to do.

My boss's response when I told her the tale of woe today? Well, she shouldn't have it on her at work anyway (our company policy says cell phones must be in your locker, not on your person). Love that!
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #30695
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yard stick? Or even longer steel or aluminum bar? Though yeah - karma!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #30696
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yard stick? Or even longer steel or aluminum bar? Though yeah - karma!
First thing I thought of. With maybe a wad of duct tape at the end. (This is the voice of experience talking.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #30697
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
First, the traffic was terrible and the Uber driver too the craziest route to Ochsner. I arrive maybe 1-2 minutes late for my 8am time and there is a huge line at.check-in. I was standing in that line for 15 minutes. It is about 8:30 and I still haven't been called. I thought of you had the first appt. in the morning, you could avoid long waits. If I am still waiting at 9, I give up.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #30698
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure we'd get a yardstick down there, especially with a wad of duct tape on it. The opening is literally half an inch and there are shelves not far above it so it's quite a small spot.

Anyway, it's more trouble that I care to go thru and if she wants to attempt it, she'd better do it on her own time and not work time.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #30699
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Doesn't insurance cover loss and theft?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #30700
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

I doubt she has insurance on the phone. She broke her old one a month or so ago and finally broke down and bought this one. Somehow she did manage to fish it out. It took a whole bag of tools (I didn't look to see what was in there) and a bent up wire hanger. I didn't ask how. She did say it had fallen all the way to the floor.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #30701
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Vent and Rant Thread

She might want to try a magnet.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #30702
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
So happy to hear she got her phone. It would be horrible not having one. Cell phones save lives.

My hubby keeps his on him even though the company has no cell policy. You are allowed to use on break. His supervisor is okay with it. She knows about me and that I don't drive.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #30703
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Sometimes living with someone bipolar can be trying. Everything can be going great then they flip.

This just happened. All of sudden hubby decided the door to the bathroom "has" to stay open. What does he do? Remove the latch to it and tell me this is the only way "I'll learn"

Learn what? No privacy? Gah! Who knows what he is thinking.
It's so easy to forget he has these issues when things are going normal.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #30704
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

Our company policy says that cell phones must stay in your locker during work. You can certainly use them on your breaks. We're surrounded by phones at work anyway so somone could easily get ahold of you by calling the store if necessary.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #30705
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sometimes living with someone bipolar can be trying. Everything can be going great then they flip.

This just happened. All of sudden hubby decided the door to the bathroom "has" to stay open. What does he do? Remove the latch to it and tell me this is the only way "I'll learn"

Learn what? No privacy? Gah! Who knows what he is thinking.
It's so easy to forget he has these issues when things are going normal.

Sent from my XT1528
Did he stop his meds? Are you able to make him get back on? I mean, I don't have to tell you how dangerous a manic episode can be...?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness