Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
jonco
jonco began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Iliad battery time

I just bought a new Iliad but I'm disappointed in how quickly the battery needs to be recharged.

I opened a pdf file. I then charged the iliad till the red light went out, indicating a fully charged battery. The iliad was left at default factory settings.

I disconnected the iliad from the charger. and left it alone. No reading, no button pressed. The pdf page remains on screen, and I can see the battery level indicator at the bottom. After 4 hours, the level is at 3/4. After 8 hours, the level is at 1/4.
After 12 hours, the iliad switches itself off. When I switch it on, it says the battery is completely empty and needs to be recharged.

Is this normal? I thought the screen does not draw any power once a page is displayed. So why does the iliad draw power when it is not being used at all?

I read somewhere that it is possible to get 15 days use by just page turns only, and I can't get more than 12 hours without even touching the thing?
jonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonco View Post
After 12 hours, the iliad switches itself off. When I switch it on, it says the battery is completely empty and needs to be recharged.

Is this normal?
Yup. That's all I get out of my iLiad.

Quote:
I thought the screen does not draw any power once a page is displayed. So why does the iliad draw power when it is not being used at all?
You are mistaken. It does not use power to maintain the screen image. It's still using power to see if you pressed a key.

Quote:
I read somewhere that it is possible to get 15 days use by just page turns only, and I can't get more than 12 hours without even touching the thing?
The "15 days" I think was what they were shooting for, but have long since changed that on their web site to be more realistic.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Mine runs for essentially a full day also. I end up recharging the Iliad pretty much every night. It's not much of a problem for me as I have a litany of about 5 things I drop on the charger every evening (ipod, treo, bluetooth headset, iliad, and tablet pc).
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Mine runs about 12 hours if used extensively throughout the day..and the spec. says 15 hours (not days!) running time. The manual says the working hours will increase as iliad is being charged and used for the first few days...I'm not so sure if that really works that way.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
http://www.irextechnologies.com/batteries
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
12 hours is normal for the v1 iLiads. The v2 iLiads are supposed to get closer to 15 hours (maybe that's what you saw when you thought '15 days'?). They say that it'll take a couple charge/drain cycles before you start to get the full potential from the battery though.

Regarding power usage, you're right in that the screen itself does not draw any power to maintain an image once it has been displayed. However, the CPU in the device is running all the time and will draw power even when it is showing a single screen. They did some work recently to throttle back the CPU some inbetween screen refreshes to help extend battery life, but it does not go into a suspend mode or anything like that. It's closer to a PC in how it behaves than something like a PDA.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
And just for reference, using the stylus to make notes will reduce the battery more quickly than just reading. So will using the wi-fi. And some kinds of external memory use more power than others (I've heard CF cards are particularly power-hungry).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
jonco
jonco began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
You are right. I was wondering why my PDA lasts 2 weeks without a recharge, yet the Iliad with a static screen lasts less.

With regards to the 15 days I guess that's my mistake. I thought I read somewhere on the forums that someone used his/her Iliad for 15 days.
jonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
With the new battery and the OS updates, I suppose one could use the iLiad for 15 days if it was only used for one hour a day, on average.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote