Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Sony lowers price on PRS-T1 to $99.99, and offers trade in credit

When Sony announced the T1, it tried to line up its price against the competition, however with the floor on the market effectively dropping, it is continuing to struggle in the ebook reader market. What was a $10 difference in price over the average, has now widened to as much as $60. Presumably due to this, and the postponement of the Harry Potter ebook sales, Sony has now lowered the Price on the PRS-T1 to $129.99$99.99, and also, through the end of the month is offering up to $50 trade in credit towards the T1 through their trade in program. Note, that this only applies if you trade in an ebook reader from a select brand towards it. This effectively lowers the price to $79.99, if you're willing to trade in a functioning reader.

It should also be noted, that they lump Kobo under "Borders" as the brand, and only are offering the Touch as a trade in offer. This is strange, since, well, Borders was a retailer for it, just like Borders was also a retailer for Sony readers.

Last edited by Hellmark; 12-07-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Updated to show the even lower price.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The price gap here has grown by another €20... As the prices in the US go down, prices in the EU go up to compensate. I know I won't buy another Sony anytime soon. If we are to pay for the cheap toys for the other side...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think that is the case, due to how Sony is structured. Sony Europe and Sony of North American are technically different companies. What one does, the other doesn't have to do. Think of it like franchises.

That said, each arm does some pretty boneheaded stuff sometimes, and even corporate global HQ can be way out of touch on prices.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon has a trade in program as well. The value depends on the model.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Decided I'd check what my old PRS-300 would trade in for. It's in good working order, no damage, but it's worth noting that it didn't ship with a power cable (only a mini-USB cable that charges the device). When I go through the trade-in calculator and check "Yes" to the question about having the power cable and computer cable, it says I'll get $50. If I click "No" for that, leaving everything else the same, it says it's only eligible for recycling.

I have a $50 mini-USB cable!
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No way would I ever trade in a fully functional ereader for a lousy $50 credit.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not even an old Sony Reader PRS-500?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd probably do that with my 505. I doubt I could get more than $50 for it. It works fine. If I wanted the T1, I would do it.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not even an old Sony Reader PRS-500?
How many of those were made, and what will one sell for in say 25 years?
it was the second Eink reader made and the first outside of Japan.

I wouldn't let one go cheap. If its in good shape pack it away.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I'd probably do that with my 505. I doubt I could get more than $50 for it. It works fine. If I wanted the T1, I would do it.
Check ebay, I routinely see 505s go for like $75 or more.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Ah, man. This is tempting. I don't really WANT a new eReader -- I'm happy with my PRS-350 and PRS-950 -- but I've got a PocketBook 360 laying around unused. I was thinking about selling it in the flea market, but $50 Sony credit would be swiffy too.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
bothman
bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.bothman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: sony PRS-T1
Just purchased PRS-T1 ! @ $149 ..........reduce from $169 by twenty dollars.Victoria BC

Is there anything that I need to know about this Reader??
bothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Check ebay, I routinely see 505s go for like $75 or more.
After paypal fees, ebay fees, the possibility of a hassle, I'd say $50 is worth it (if I had wanted the T1). Also, my 505 is old.. the battery works, but it's definitely got a shorter life than before. and the page turn buttons on the right are worn.. it doesn't look like new.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I just my take in my 600 and get the new Sony this weekend. I've been wanting a new one, but I couldn't justify it since my 600 still works just great. Now I can do it without any problem.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
After paypal fees, ebay fees, the possibility of a hassle, I'd say $50 is worth it (if I had wanted the T1). Also, my 505 is old.. the battery works, but it's definitely got a shorter life than before. and the page turn buttons on the right are worn.. it doesn't look like new.
The fees aren't that bad. I just sold a router for $275, and was about $30 in fees to Paypal and Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothman View Post
Just purchased PRS-T1 ! @ $149 ..........reduce from $169 by twenty dollars.Victoria BC

Is there anything that I need to know about this Reader??
Note that the price given is for the US. Canadian price is $149.99. Still cool that the Canucks got a price drop too.

As far as things to know, not really. ePub is the preferred format, but it will use PDF's too (but PDFs aren't good on any ebook reader really). It uses the Adobe ADEPT DRM, but I believe B&N's DRM will also work under it. DRM free ePubs work great. Many people prefer using Calibre to connect to the reader, instead of the Sony Reader Library.

Last edited by Hellmark; 12-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.