Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Titles and caps?

If I just say

Sue went to the temple

Then t in temple is lower, correct? But if I say

Sue went to the Temple of Bob

Is temple there with a capital or lower t?

Thanks!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that if it's a generic temple then it's lower case but if you are identifying a place by name it's in caps for the 1st letter. The same applies for naming other things as well.
For example if you're having fried chicken it's lower case but if you're having Kentucky Fried Chicken it's in upper case.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think that if it's a generic temple then it's lower case but if you are identifying a place by name it's in caps for the 1st letter. The same applies for naming other things as well.
For example if you're having fried chicken it's lower case but if you're having Kentucky Fried Chicken it's in upper case.
That's right. "T" if you're using it like the name of the place, "t" if you're just mentioning a place.

Like "Region" if you mean "Region Bank." Or "region" if someone's going to like a region. (I know that's a ridiculous analogy, but I'm tired and can't think right now.)
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Is "temple" part of the name or just reference to the location/building?
The way I see it, if the temple itself is actually named "Temple of Bob", then it would need an uppercase T. However if it's just a temple of Bob (equivalent to it being "the house of Bob", or "the house of my neighbor") and simply describes the location/building, then it does not take an uppercase T.

So both Temple of Bob and temple of Bob could be right, depending on context.
Just as "temple" by itself could take an uppercase T if that's actually the name of it, but a lowercase T if it only describes the location/building.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I did some additional research. If it's just a temple then it's a noun (a person place or thing) but if it's a specific temple then it's a proper noun (A proper noun or proper name is a noun representing a unique entity (such as London, Jupiter, John Hunter, or Toyota), as distinguished from a common noun, which represents a class of entities) so it's like the difference between 'man' and 'George Washington'. One is a general term and the other identifies a specific individual. When someone/something is named specifically it's usually capitalized. Or at least that's my experience. We don't refer to 'Pres. Obama' as 'pres. obama' for example. I got the definition of a proper noun from Wikipedia.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert