Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #751
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats View Post
It seems to work fine! I installed KSM 8 to my new H2O last night. I'm new to this, so I may not notice a problem.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I think it is fine.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #752
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by stats View Post
It seems to work fine! I installed KSM 8 to my new H2O last night. I'm new to this, so I may not notice a problem.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
If there were a problem you'd know!

Did you try KOReader?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #753
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

Device: sony pr505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
If there were a problem you'd know!

Did you try KOReader?
Yes. Works like a charm. I've been using it instead of nickel. It is much faster and smoother! I tried CoolReader, too. Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #754
ikkentobi
Enthusiast
ikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-booksikkentobi has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo h2o, kobo aura hd, onyx t68
Coolreader works fine, too?
ikkentobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #755
Ypsilon
Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.Ypsilon got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkentobi View Post
Coolreader works fine, too?
Coolreader 2017.06.13 seems to run well with firmware 4.5.9587 on my H2O
Ypsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #756
Brian_K_White
Brian_K_White began at the beginning.

Been working great for me. I love it. But I have H2O, not H2O2
Brian_K_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #757
the_need_to_read
the_need_to_read began at the beginning.

Info: I just got my first ereader, a brand new Kobo H2O (the model with the external SD card) and have updated to the latest firmware 4.5.9587
I installed KBStartMenu_08.zip and the patch. I can get USB access.
But I still can't get wifi to work.
I can see the networks and apparently can connect.

But there is no way for me to see the IP. And the test/example scripts to wget from accuweather don't work.
It would be great for the "wifi" have an action to show the IP address. Apparently I'm connected to a known network, but the If I don't know the IP how am I supposed to connect? (I don't have access to the router right now, so unable to check devices)
So how can I telnet/ssh over wifi?

Hopefully that will be better than the constant enable/disable usb every time I want to transfer a file.
At this time I'm hammering down my user experience with Calibre, koreader and figuring out navigation and annotations... all a bit new and frustrating right now *exhales*

May I suggest updating the first post to say that the patch must be installed from nickel.
I wasn't able to get USB access until I did it from there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by the_need_to_read; 08-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.
the_need_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #758
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_need_to_read View Post
Info: I just got my first ereader, a brand new Kobo H2O (the model with the external SD card) and have updated to the latest firmware 4.5.9587
I installed KBStartMenu_08.zip and the patch. I can get USB access.
But I still can't get wifi to work.
I can see the networks and apparently can connect.

But there is no way for me to see the IP.
Thank you for reminding me. I prepared an entry in the wifi menu for displaying the IP at some point, but evidently never published it. I will include it in the next update of the patch. Until then please look the IP up in nickel's settings. [Edit: see below]
Quote:
And the test/example scripts to wget from accuweather don't work.
Right. Since I provided this examples some years ago, accuweather and google changed the protocol from http to https, which is a problem for wget. You can still test with w1.weather.gov.sh. This is an xml file, therefore KSM shows you the page source, but for testing the connection it should suffice.

Quote:
It would be great for the "wifi" have an action to show the IP address. Apparently I'm connected to a known network, but the If I don't know the IP how am I supposed to connect? (I don't have access to the router right now, so unable to check devices)
So how can I telnet/ssh over wifi?

Hopefully that will be better than the constant enable/disable usb every time I want to transfer a file.
At this time I'm hammering down my user experience with Calibre, koreader and figuring out navigation and annotations... all a bit new and frustrating right now *exhales*
It seems to be urgent. I attach the installation file for show IP. The zip file contains a KoboRoot.tgz.

Quote:
May I suggest updating the first post to say that the patch must be installed from nickel.
I wasn't able to get USB access until I did it from there.
I guess the right place would be in the post the contains the patch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSM08_show_wifi_ip.zip (537 Bytes, 135 views)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #759
the_need_to_read
the_need_to_read began at the beginning.

Thank you for your work and the help on this one tshering.

After installing the telnet package I'm now able to telnet into it.

But how do I copy files from/to it?

I'm used to scp and rsync, but had no luck with these. Tried rcp but same thing.

In an ideal world I'd like to sync both ways. But I'd be happy with just uni-directional pull or push.
the_need_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #760
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for your work and the help on this one tshering.

After installing the telnet package I'm now able to telnet into it.

But how do I copy files from/to it?

I'm used to scp and rsync, but had no luck with these. Tried rcp but same thing.

In an ideal world I'd like to sync both ways. But I'd be happy with just uni-directional pull or push.
If you are a Windows user you can use WinSCP

File protocol: FTP
Host name: 192.168.2.101
User name: root

But since you are mentioning rsync and scp, I guess you are a linux user. The above login data should help you. By the way, if you install pbchess, KSM can use its dropbear, if this is of use to you. You have to enable it in KSM with "configure". Set [general]useDropbear=true.

EDIT: It seems I should get some sleep now. What I said above concerns usbnet, whearas you are using wifi. Then you have of course a different IP. And you have to start dropbear manually. KSM does not do it by itself.

Last edited by tshering; 08-12-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #761
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think the easiest way to move ebooks via Wifi, from your PC to a KOReader equipped device, is to use the calibre content server with the OPDS calibre catalog in KOReader.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #762
eric1116
eric1116 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo Hd, Kobo Aura One
deleted

Last edited by eric1116; 08-15-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: sorted out
eric1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #763
TisoKhan
TisoKhan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unhappy

Hello, you people!

I use KSM (v8) and KO Reader on my Kobo Glo (the early one). Every now and then the KSM doesn't starts afeter a complete discharge. Instead, only the Nickel starts up, even after turning off and on again a million times. So I have to install the alternatives firmwares back.

And that only bothers me about the REAL problem: I hate the Nickel. It's been a whole year that it doesn't open none of my ePUBS. Sometimes it opens the ePUBS that I got from the store, but never opens the ones that I transfered from my PC. It opens directly on the last page of all the files that I want to read. And it doesn't turn the pages back also. Since the harware is working fine when I run the KSM and the KO Reader, it makes me think that it's some kind of programed obsolescence. In the other hand, the alterate firmwares are doing just fine.

So I want to know if there's some way to make the KSM the only firmware on my Kobo, by slaying off the Nickel for good? Also, I would like to know if there is some way to make the KO Reader indifferent to the sleep covers, so it won't sleep and wake up automatically when it's near to magnets. My backpack has magnets all over the place, so when I catch my Kobo, it's everytime in a random screen.

TisoKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #764
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps you will find it encouraging that there are a number of us who haven't made hardly any use of Nickel or the stock reading programs, for some years now, in my case.

To answer your questions; You can set the launching program, KSM, to always open in KSM, at start up. You can then set KSM to launch KOReader (or Coolreader if you install the "pbchess" package), when KSM starts. That way Nickel is not started at all.

After KOReader has been started and the settings files created:
you can set ["ignore_power_sleepcover"] = true in settings.reader.lua

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #765
TisoKhan
TisoKhan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Perhaps you will find it encouraging that there are a number of us who haven't made hardly any use of Nickel or the stock reading programs, for some years now, in my case.

To answer your questions; You can set the launching program, KSM, to always open in KSM, at start up. You can then set KSM to launch KOReader (or Coolreader if you install the "pbchess" package), when KSM starts. That way Nickel is not started at all.

After KOReader has been started and the settings files created:
you can set ["ignore_power_sleepcover"] = true in settings.reader.lua

Luck;
Ken
Thanks Ken! I've used the DOS Edit to insert the line on setting.reader.lua and it's working!!! I just didn't get how to make KSM always open as the main firmware.

I'm so glad for your help! Have a awesome day!
TisoKhan is offline   Reply With Quote