Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #196
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can either use the methods described in this thread, which will make K4PC/K4Mac download books in Mobi/KF8 format, or you can use the "Transfer via USB" facility on Amazon's web site, which will also give you a book in Mobi/KF8 format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #197
InAFlap
InAFlap began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo vibe P1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can either use the methods described in this thread, which will make K4PC/K4Mac download books in Mobi/KF8 format, or you can use the "Transfer via USB" facility on Amazon's web site, which will also give you a book in Mobi/KF8 format.
I just had a look at the transfer by usb option and it says my devices are not compatible
InAFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #198
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAFlap View Post
I just had a look at the transfer by usb option and it says my devices are not compatible
It can only be used with eInk Kindles, certainly. Do you not have one? If not, use the K4PC/K4Mac method instead - that works fine. See the first post of this thread for details.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #199
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Well, transfer via USB can be used for Fire devices too. But only E-ink Kindles if you want to use Alf's tools.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #200
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Well, transfer via USB can be used for Fire devices too. But only E-ink Kindles if you want to use Alf's tools.
Transferring Kindle books with K4PC really is much easier, anyway, especially if you have a lot of books to copy!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #201
InAFlap
InAFlap began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo vibe P1
Quote:
It can only be used with eInk Kindles, certainly. Do you not have one? If not, use the K4PC/K4Mac method instead - that works fine. See the first post of this thread for details.
Ah OK got you, don't have one of those, guess I will stick with the older kindle for pc for the time being.
InAFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #202
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Transferring Kindle books with K4PC really is much easier, anyway, especially if you have a lot of books to copy!
Yes, definitely -- I'll only resort to Method 3 if the first two stop working!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #203
Amphiboly
Amphiboly began at the beginning.

Device: Mac desktop/android phone
Mac: Use Time Machine

If you have a Mac with Time Machine running (or, heck, if you make regular backups and have for more than a year or two, regardless of your system), you can simply pop back a bit and retrieve an older version of Kindle.

I renamed the recent one 'Kindle too new' just in case something went wrong, retrieved the older version of the app, filed it in Applications next to the new one, and voila. It still has to be converted to epub in Calibre, of course.

Since I am perfectly happy to abide by copyright rules (writers don't make enough money as it is) but have this strange and radical opinion that I ought to be able to use the app of my choice to *read* my books, I appreciate this thread and am glad I found a quick and easy solution.
Amphiboly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #204
Padua
Padua began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Large files don't work with this method?

While many smaller AZW files were imported to Calibre easily via the DeDRM plugin (after the renderer-test rename) - a large book ~300 MB of .azw did not get through.

Calibre keeps saying DRM protected.

Anyone else faced this?

Any work arounds?

KPC 20.x, Calibre 3.6, DeDRM 6.5.4
Padua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #205
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
1.17 and sharing

After a big *&^ with ADE, will try Kindle again. My Kindle on the PC has never updated. I simply remove the last e off an exe file which means Kindle cannot run. Therefore, I have 1.17 and no updates.

The other half loves his Kindle, I like my generic inkBOOK. No Google, no Amazon, no Windows, no anything. Now since he updates on schedule, what will happen if we try to share a book?

Re Calibre - I got the newest version and tried to simplify it to name, author maybe tags if I feel like doing any, and write to card. I don't annotate, I frequently re-read books I enjoy so that's all I need.

I just did see something about finding duplicates - does Calibre search hard drive yet for all books?

Thanks
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #206
lkmiller
Laura

Padua,

We can't discuss the details here. Ask over at Apprentice Alf's blog or start an issue at Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
After a big *&^ with ADE, will try Kindle again. My Kindle on the PC has never updated. I simply remove the last e off an exe file which means Kindle cannot run. Therefore, I have 1.17 and no updates.
Slightly baffled by this - what's the point of having a version of Kindle for PC that you can't run? You need to run it to download books with it!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #208
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

The other half loves his Kindle, I like my generic inkBOOK. No Google, no Amazon, no Windows, no anything. Now since he updates on schedule, what will happen if we try to share a book?
Not sure what you're asking. Share through Amazon Family Library? What he does with his devices/apps won't affect your devices/apps even with shared books. He'll get the KFX version when available, and you'll get the older file types if you stick with 1.17 (and it keeps working).
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #209
kjsd
kjsd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for pc and android
to: jhowell.
This is my first post hear, I would like to thank you for a brilliant solution to the problem of the new KFX format.
Thank you
kjsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #210
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsd View Post
Thank you
You're welcome, but I just did the write-up. It is based on information reported by quite a few helpful people on Mobileread and on Apprentice Alf’s Blog.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc