Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Please do post a pic, feedback after prolonged use is really helpful information.

I've still to have a play with the Kindle Touch (only just released in the UK), but I'm tempted by the Sony PRS-T1. For value for money I don't think you can beat the Kobo Touch (£79 compared to £109 for the Kindle and £139 for the Sony). However, if those physical page turn buttons were on the side of the Sony..... I'd say to heck with the extra money
I'd suggest taking a look at the Kobo forum before getting a Kobo. There are numerous complaints of bugs, and truly dire customer service. It also appears to lack facilities which one might think are basic to any reader, such as any form of search capability.

I've had my KT since a couple of weeks after their release. I keep it in a cheap (Marware) case and it's absolutely immaculate. I find it to be an excellent reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #32
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I do keep an eye on the Kobo forum, but I still think in terms of value for money the Kobo Touch is the best. In terms of usability, quality etc, well probably not, more likely to come bottom of the pile. They all have their issues though don't they? Yes Kobo perhaps more so.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do keep an eye on the Kobo forum, but I still think in terms of value for money the Kobo Touch is the best. In terms of usability, quality etc, well probably not, more likely to come bottom of the pile. They all have their issues though don't they? Yes Kobo perhaps more so.....
It's the cheapest, certainly. As the old adage says, though, you get what you pay for . As you rightly say, every device has its pros and cons.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'm tempted by the Sony PRS-T1. For value for money I don't think you can beat the Kobo Touch (£79 compared to £109 for the Kindle and £139 for the Sony). However, if those physical page turn buttons were on the side of the Sony..... I'd say to heck with the extra money
You say you want the buttons on the side because you are used to the K3. I tell you, it wouldn't matter once you had the Sony in hand. Button on the bottom left, or touch the screen on the right.....you'd get used to it very fast. It is very light and convenient to hold in one hand and turn pages.

I want buttons on a Kindle Touch.....I wouldn't be able to resist!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Please do post a pic, feedback after prolonged use is really helpful information.

I've still to have a play with the Kindle Touch (only just released in the UK), but I'm tempted by the Sony PRS-T1. For value for money I don't think you can beat the Kobo Touch (£79 compared to £109 for the Kindle and £139 for the Sony). However, if those physical page turn buttons were on the side of the Sony..... I'd say to heck with the extra money
I've attached the pic. I will say I don't know if it's my Marware case to blame or the finish is coming off. My guess is the case but I read reviews of my case and no one has reported anything like this. I've never taken anything but a damp cloth with water to back. It stays in the case 95% of the time. I read and use my K4 heavily each day for about 5 to 6 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4back.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	84939  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I will say I don't know if it's my Marware case to blame or the finish is coming off.
A name like "MAR-ware" isn't a clue?
What did they have to call it? "Damaging-abrasive-ware?"
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
A name like "MAR-ware" isn't a clue?
What did they have to call it? "Damaging-abrasive-ware?"
It's officially supported by Amazon. I admit the name is odd but I do love my case. I've looked for rubbed off marks on the case's inside back and find none. So I guess it could be a chemical reaction to the case not that the case is rubbing off on the K4's back.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's officially supported by Amazon. I admit the name is odd but I do love my case. I've looked for rubbed off marks on the case's inside back and find none. So I guess it could be a chemical reaction to the case not that the case is rubbing off on the K4's back.
I have a Marware case on my KT, and haven't had that issue with mine. Might it be worth contacting Amazon? It certainly does sound like a chemical reaction between the case and the Kindle's coating to me. I've not seen any other reports of this kind of problem.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a Marware case on my KT, and haven't had that issue with mine. Might it be worth contacting Amazon? It certainly does sound like a chemical reaction between the case and the Kindle's coating to me. I've not seen any other reports of this kind of problem.
I haven't either. I know others with Marware cases and no one but me has had this happen. I seldom remove it from the case and this didn't start till last month. I'm not sure if I decide to contact someone who to talk to Kindle support or Marware?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #40
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
I haven't either. I know others with Marware cases and no one but me has had this happen. I seldom remove it from the case and this didn't start till last month. I'm not sure if I decide to contact someone who to talk to Kindle support or Marware?
This might be a good opportunity for you to get rid of that nasty green screen by getting a replacement. I would talk to both companies and see who offers the solution you like the best.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
This might be a good opportunity for you to get rid of that nasty green screen by getting a replacement. I would talk to both companies and see who offers the solution you like the best.
I'll probably wait awhile. Amazon just replaced my Kindle Fire a few months back and the K4 was replaced the day after I bought it in October for poor contrast not to mention I returned a Coby tablet in November.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #42
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Just to second what Victoria says, I'm also a heavy dictionary user and have several installed on the Touch. Not only is looking up words much faster than on the K3 (even when using big, sluggish dictionaries -- no more lag time!), but I think the KT also does a brilliant job managing dictionaries for different languages. Depending on which language you happen to be reading in, the Touch will choose the correct default dictionary you've assigned for that language in the settings. If it can't find a word in the default dictionary, it will then consult the next one for that particular language. No more switching default dictionaries every time you switch languages, no more hassle.

I was convinced I wouldn't like using the device without the buttons for page-turning. I also wasn't particularly looking forward to fingerprints. But after several weeks now, I don't even think about tapping to turn pages, and the fingerprints are hardly visible, I find. Definitely glad I switched.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have a new ipad and a kindle touch which replaced my K3. I use the kindle for magazines and PDFs. I cannot read books on the Ipad so I use the KT. The K3 screen contrast was definitely better. However, I find that the kt interface is far quicker and more intuitive to use for reading. The reading experience is more comfortable. I keep the KT in a sleeve since I like the feel of the device in my hand when I read. If I was choosing solely for best screen, I think that the best e-ink screen out there today is the Sony T1.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
If I was choosing solely for best screen, I think that the best e-ink screen out there today is the Sony T1.
There is only one manufacturer of 6" eInk screens. All the manufacturers of 6" eInk devices use the identically same screen. There can certainly be differences in appearance due to different choices of fonts, and there can also be variations between individual eInk panels, but there is no systematic variation from one manufacturer to another, for the simple reason that there's no alternate choice of supplier: there's a single source for all the screens.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #45
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is only one manufacturer of 6" eInk screens. All the manufacturers of 6" eInk devices use the identically same screen. There can certainly be differences in appearance due to different choices of fonts, and there can also be variations between individual eInk panels, but there is no systematic variation from one manufacturer to another, for the simple reason that there's no alternate choice of supplier: there's a single source for all the screens.
Didn't we see discussions here about how the software used to drive the panel can effect contrast and rendering quality. So even with the same font and same panel hardware, might one model not have 'a better screen' than another?

Last edited by ApK; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote