Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
I read through the suggested materials and still no luck. I can see the script font in Sigil and ebook-viewer, but on the PRS it is still the base font. In the pdf about changing fonts I did read something about the PRS only being able to handle one font family per epub. Is that correct and could it be my problem?
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, I have a PRS-300 and I can embed a font without any issues. Upload an epub with this behavior and then we can take a look.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
What I can say is that the PRS-650 can display at least 2 different font-families in one ePub (I haven't tried more than 2 so far).
I didn't realize the comment on the pdf about the limitation to 1 family-font per epub. Notice that the document is referring to PRS-300/600/900, so my guess is that probably Sony implemented the capability of handling more than one font in the PRS-x50 series, since my PRS-650 can do it. Unfortunately it may imply that also the 505 suffers the limitation of the previous models.
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
dicknskip
Zealot

Here is the test epub I've been using. I have been testing and trying a bunch of things in this css just to see how they work. This is then the css and code to test the script font.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test Book.epub (66.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
I don't have my PRS-650 with me now but I tested your test epub in the Reader Library in my PC (I do it often because this software predicts quite faithfully what finally I will see in the PRS-650) and I have found the same problem than you: the font Elegante is not displayed.
Looking carefully to your css, and knowing how picky ADE can be with the code, I have removed the comma (,) from the name of the family-font in the css:

"Elegante, Regular" --> "Elegante Regular"

and it works!!!

I've seen also that you have specified in the css: body {font-family: serif, "Elegante, Regular";

I guess that you want to use the default serif font for the body, then you should remove the , "Elegante, Regular" part, although it seems it is not interfering.
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
dicknskip
Zealot

I have made some progress. I downloaded a new font, england.ttf. It seems to be clearer in display. I installed it on the actual PRS-505 reader following the instructions from the MobileRead forums. I then made slight changes to my .css file due to the new font and deleted the fonts from the epub Font directory. I'll add a new copy of the .css here. In Sigil and ebook-viewer I do not see the script font, BUT on the PRS-505 I do see it. Now I only need to get the Sigil and ebook-viewer to show the font. I am sure they can't find it because of the url. Do I now need to create a /Data/fonts/ directory on my linux box?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #22
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
In Sigil and ebook-viewer I do not see the script font, BUT on the PRS-505 I do see it. Now I only need to get the Sigil and ebook-viewer to show the font. I am sure they can't find it because of the url. Do I now need to create a /Data/fonts/ directory on my linux box?
You're not doing anything wrong, as I said in post #2 there's a bug in a support library (QTWebKit) which both Sigil and the calibre viewer are based upon that makes embedded fonts not work correctly.
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
dicknskip
Zealot

Thanks to every one for their help. Now I'll put the font onto my wife's Sony reader and we'll be off. I'll wait until the bug is fixed in QTWebKit. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
ReneeO
ReneeO began at the beginning.

Device: none
Curiously, searching for how-tos on embedding fonts, came across this exchange.
checked out Dick Angus' test book epub. found that on my Mac browser (SeaMonkey epub viewer), the font doesn't display. opened in calibre same thing. opened it in Sigil, changed where one of the headings was centered, saved it from Sigil to diff folder as ePub, opened it in calibre. and voila, there is the font, handwriting type script.
but the font name in Sigil shows as 'elegital.ttf'.
But now will try my manuscript that way to see if I can get my fonts to show up too.

Thanks.
ReneeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
dicknskip
Zealot

I'll be interested to see how it works out. The solution I have is working for my wife and I, but not for other eReaders, like my brother's iPad. I think embedded in the epub file, for seldom used fonts like handwriting, will be better than fonts stored on the device. I still can't get the embedded fonts to show on my PRS-505 or on the iPad.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Font embedding should work on the 505 if I recall correctly. For font-embedding on the iBooks you need to make an additional change because it will not accept the common agreed manner.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 does embedded fonts the standard way and it works.

iBooks needs something non-standard added to the ePub to get embedded fonts to work. Sigil cannot help with this and once done, you may possibly not be able to use Sigil with that ePub and still have embedded fonts working with iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
dicknskip
Zealot

I finally got it to work. It was how I was forming the url reference in the font-face definition. I'll play with the iPad ideas later. That was just a bit of a thought in the bigger process. I see the font in Sigil, eBook-viewer and on the PRS now. Thanks to everyone for the various ideas.