Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #166
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Is it possible to post screenshots of a new home screen? What exactly has changed there? Thank you.
Google is your friend
http://goodereader.com/blog/uploads/images/IMG_0078.jpg
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #167
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Thank you. I had it on 4.3 I thought something has changed.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #168
David0226
David0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watch

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
David, if I roll back to an older firmware version, can I do it without a hard reset, by just putting the firmware in like with an update? And would it restore my old stats? And if it wouldn't is there anyway to manually put them into a counter so it would count on from the numbers I put there?
I was able to roll back by placing the old copy of the firmware in the .kobo directory, just like updating. I don't use the reading stats, so I can't answer that part of the question.

I can say for others that I have not had the battery drain, or light staying on issues since I rolled back.
David0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #169
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Thank you. I had it on 4.3 I thought something has changed.
Actually I believe the tiles have changed from the original ones; my experience is there are fewer tiles related to the Kobo store.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #170
danamr
danamr began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post

Edit: Okay, so I tried with "BestBuyCA" as my affiliate, and now I'm running the new firmware. Yay!
Thanks. Did the same thing on my Aura One, and worked like a charm.
So far, I like the new layout.
danamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #171
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I took the plunge and updated my KA1. I like the new home screen better than I anticipated. I miss having reading stats on a permanent tile, and I don't like the new way of counting books as finished. I also miss annotations on the home screen. I'm glad that reading time is fixed again. Highlighting text also seems more responsive. There has been a significant improvement from the original firmware that shipped with the KA1 at initial release.

A few other complaints:
1) When you open a book from the home screen, Kobo should make the screen automatically refresh. The ghosting from the large images on the new screen format is annoying.
2) I like the old format of 3 rows of book cover images that has been reduced to 2 rows now.
3) I wish when you are in a book that the upper left had a home (or previous) icon rather than a drop-down menu.

However, overall I'm happy that I updated.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #172
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
3) I wish when you are in a book that the upper left had a home (or previous) icon rather than a drop-down menu.
It sort-of does, doesn't it?

If I open my current book from the Home page then the bottom left icon is 'Home' when I tap the screen.

Similarly, if I open my book from the 'My Books' booklist then the bottom left icon is 'Books' when I tap the screen.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #173
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

If I open my current book from the Home page then the bottom left icon is 'Home' when I tap the screen.

Similarly, if I open my book from the 'My Books' booklist then the bottom left icon is 'Books' when I tap the screen.
Just call me oblivious. Thanks for pointing that out!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #174
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for pointing that out!
You're welcome!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #175
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

But only if you open the book from the home screen.

One thing is that without the home button there all the time, I don't visit the home screen as much. In the past, you needed to visit the home screen often to choose one of the other locations (book list, stats, shop etc.). Now you can choose it from the menu and avoid the home screen. If the purpose of the new home screen is as many think to shove advertising at us, that will work against Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 AM   #176
Mo_no
Mo_no began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Hd , Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Okay, I manage to download mark 4, it took about 8 minutes.
Any idea if it also for Mini?
For now my Kobo Mini works with new firmware for Mark 4.
Mo_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #177
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac55 View Post
They fixed the really irritating frontlight behaviour!
Yes, a nice addition. Personally, I was more happy to see a firmware Settings option to turn the light-level swipe off completely, rather than having to use a hack, since my fingers seemed to activate it so often and unintentionally.

Perhaps it's been mentioned and I missed it, but has the ability to dismiss a tile from the Home screen been removed? For instance, I have my wi-fi disabled, so I don't need a Home screen link to the Kobo bookstore, and would rather get it out of the way. But a long press no longer brings up options -- or am I missing something?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #178
Insomniac55
Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Yes, a nice addition. Personally, I was more happy to see a firmware Settings option to turn the light-level swipe off completely, rather than having to use a hack, since my fingers seemed to activate it so often and unintentionally.
That's fair enough. You still benefit, because now the popup menu doesn't automatically jump from 1% to 0% after a delay.
Insomniac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You're welcome.
Also please stickie the thread. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #180
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Perhaps it's been mentioned and I missed it, but has the ability to dismiss a tile from the Home screen been removed? For instance, I have my wi-fi disabled, so I don't need a Home screen link to the Kobo bookstore, and would rather get it out of the way. But a long press no longer brings up options -- or am I missing something?
Partially correct -- you can remove tiles on the top row, but you cannot remove the middle or bottom row of tiles (e.g., My Books, recommended books by an author, Kobo Store, etc.).
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote