Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
MatthewStorm
MatthewStorm began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N95
MobiPocket Shut Down!?

Does anyone know why MobiPocket has shut down? Will it come back up? It says for maintenance but it's been displaying that for many hours now with no change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobidown.png
Views:	776
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	5040  
MatthewStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can think of three possible scenarios:
  1. They got hacked and millions of illegal Mobipocket e-books are flooding the Net as we speak
  2. Sony bought them from Amazon and decided to shut them down in favor of Connect
  3. They are upgrading their website.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
They have been down for well over 24 hours now. I bought a book from paperpack digital early Thursday morning and I haven't been able to download it because mobipocket is down.

Hopefully it is a site upgrade and not some catastrophic server failure.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe MobiPocket is having some hardware trouble and needing to get it fixed.

Are you saying that if we purchase a MobiPocket book, it relies on the website of MibiPocket and not the website of the seller if that's not MobiPocket?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Fictionwise say:
Quote:
NOTICE: A major problem occurred with the Mobipocket DRM server at about 6:30 PM Eastern Time, Wednesday, August 15. Engineers at Mobipocket.com have informed us that they hope to be back online sometime this weekend, August 18 or 19. We have switched, where possible, all Secure Mobipocket files purchased during the downtime to an alternative DRM provider, Content Reserve. We have also taken all titles that could not be switched offline in Mobipocket format until the problem is resolved.

So, at this point in time, any Secure Mobipocket title you see onsale can be downloaded immediately. Titles that cannot be downloaded immediately have been temporarily taken offsale in the Secure Mobipocket format.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and we will post a new message when the problem is resolved.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
See? The DRM is trying to take over, and destroy the world!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Big Brother Supports DRM

You will learn to love it. DRM is your friend.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a case of DRM screwing us over. HAHAHAHA!

SCREW YOU DRM!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Updating the system for the arrival of the new Iliad?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you saying that if we purchase a MobiPocket book, it relies on the website of MibiPocket and not the website of the seller if that's not MobiPocket?
It looks that way. I was kind of surprised. It would be nice if we didn't have DRM hassles at all. I guess I should just switch to .lit for purchases and use the usual tools to convert to more open formats. The reason that I have been buying from mobipocket is that if I am going to vote for a DRM format with my dollars it just seems better to support Mobipocket since it is available on multiple platforms.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
maybe Mobipocket uses Skype algorithms
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Holy Smoke, three days t.u.?! That's just plain insanity, where's these people's backup server located and why aren't they using it? I guess their CIO is going to get fired (or I'd fire him if I was the CEO) for not having a viable and tested backup plan in place. Think of how much revenue they're losing in the time they're down. Wow.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It could be something nasty enough that it took out the backup infrastructure too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Holy Smoke, three days t.u.?! That's just plain insanity, where's these people's backup server located and why aren't they using it? I guess their CIO is going to get fired (or I'd fire him if I was the CEO) for not having a viable and tested backup plan in place. Think of how much revenue they're losing in the time they're down. Wow.
They are in France. In August. Consider it lucky they didn't say they would be back on line Sept 4th.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
They are in France. In August. Consider it lucky they didn't say they would be back on line Sept 4th.
ROFL!

Isn't the new Cybook coming out supposed to be Mobipocket compatible? Bet that it's some issue getting ready for that which fragged their servers bad.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote