Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
rcdc
rcdc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
epub to mobi conversion problems

After a good bit of searching I have not found anyone else with this problem.

After converting my .epub files to .mobi for my kindle 3 I often end up with an excessive left margin

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2z6xjjr&s=7

here is the original .epub and the output .mobi. Thanks for any advice

http://www.filedropper.com/archive_56
rcdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this thread: Convert epub to mobi with wide left margin on Kindle will give the latest about the issue.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Tuffgong4
Tuffgong4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
there is info there but I'm not sure if the solutions posted work...
Tuffgong4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
devilinside
eReader
devilinside began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Kindle, Archos70
I could manage to (partially) solve this problem for my books by overriding the paragraph CSS before conversion.
1., Convert- set output to MOBI
2., Look&Feel>Extra CSS textfield insert
Code:
p {
    text-indent: 1em;
    display: block;
    text-align: justify;
    margin-left:0;
    margin-right:0;
    margin-top: 0.5em;
    margin-bottom: 0
    }
or whatever you prefer. Overriding the <body> tag didn't work for me.
In case of a well formatted input book it should produce an acceptable output.
Sometimes I change the <h1-5> tags, as well, setting the margins and padding to 0. Otherwise manual editing or you should know the CSS class names within the ePub book (IOT override them). It's possible using debug mode.

Last edited by devilinside; 09-17-2010 at 04:41 AM.
devilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I opened the ePub in Sigil and edited the CSS file setting all of the margins and indent entries in "calibre4" to zero and resaved the ePub. This is the style that is used in the <p> tages in the html files in the ePub. When I converted the resaved file in calibre 0.7.18 the result looked very good in the Kindle Previewer application (I still don't have my K3 yet...)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I opened the ePub in Sigil and edited the CSS file setting all of the margins and indent entries in "calibre4" to zero and resaved the ePub. This is the style that is used in the <p> tages in the html files in the ePub.
This (calibre4) was the one used on that particular epub, sometimes it's calibre5, calibre7, calibre10 etc...

I'm glad you found the one that worked for you this time.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kindle, mobi, problem