Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
File names in other language

I am going to get a PB360, and I have one question I want to know.

Can PB360 handle file names in different language well (ex. Chinese)? Also, does it show Chinese title and Chinese author names properly in the menu?

Thanks!
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
It's using UTF-8 internally, so provided you have the necessary fonts installed I don't see that as much of an issue.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
doremifaso
Connoisseur

That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply.

But according to this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78358

There may be a problem with lots of files with file names in Chinese. Does anyone experience something similar?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Zel
Zealot
Zel began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360° + Kindle 3
My PB shows (in the books-folder) the title in pinyin-transcription, though I wrote it in 國字. But I just see small boxes in the "current books" section. Donno why.
The only problem I have is that it's not possible for me to increase the font size: the reader will just zoom in and I can't read half of the line anymore -_-
But maybe it's just a converting-problem (the original file was a pdf and I converted it into epub)..

Last edited by Zel; 06-17-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
doremifaso
Connoisseur

You used pingyin-transcription for you file names, does that mean it doesn't contain any Chinese word in the file name, just letters?

I guess in "Current books". It list the title of the book, rather than the file names.
Did you install Chinese fonts? I believe you can change the fonts in the Menu interface as well. Perhaps you need to change it to a chinese font to see the chinese titles?

Are you using fbreader or the adobe reader to read your file?

Again, I don't own a PB360 yet. I am just guessing based on what I know about the device so far.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Zel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by doremifaso View Post
You used pingyin-transcription for you file names, does that mean it doesn't contain any Chinese word in the file name, just letters?

I guess in "Current books". It list the title of the book, rather than the file names.
Did you install Chinese fonts? I believe you can change the fonts in the Menu interface as well. Perhaps you need to change it to a chinese font to see the chinese titles?

Are you using fbreader or the adobe reader to read your file?

Again, I don't own a PB360 yet. I am just guessing based on what I know about the device so far.
no, the file name (author and title) in Calibre is written in chinese characters (國字), but in my pocketbook folder it is (automatically) written in pinyin - donno why.
I guess you're right concerning the title in the "current books" section..

I installed severall chinese fonts and used them in the fb-reader and in the pdf-viewr (it doesn't work with the adobe-reader: there are just question marks..).
When I use a chinese font for the whole menu, the folder of my chinese books are still written in pinyin, but now the title in the "current books"section is (correctly) written in characters and the title in the status bar (while I'm reading) is also written in characters, not in letters or boxes

attached you'll find two pictures how it looks on my PB.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0003.bmp (234.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: bmp scr0004.bmp (234.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
doremifaso
Connoisseur

In Calibre, when you "Send the files to device" or "Save to disk", there's an option called "Transliterate file name" (or something like that. I don't have have Calibre right now.). If you enable this, it will create files with pingyin file names. If you disable it, it will keep not change them to pingyin. Did you choose this option?

Yes, Adobe reader uses the default fonts in the device, which usually doesn't include Chinese characters. I guess that's why you can't see them in Adobe reader.

Thanks for the screenshots. They look good.
Hmm....It seems like you are using Russian in your menu.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Zel
Zealot

Quote:
In Calibre, when you "Send the files to device" or "Save to disk", there's an option called "Transliterate file name" (or something like that. I don't have have Calibre right now.). If you enable this, it will create files with pingyin file names. If you disable it, it will keep not change them to pingyin. Did you choose this option?

[...]

Hmm....It seems like you are using Russian in your menu.
mmh.. I enabled/ disabled nothing in calibre.. I just sent the files to the reader. I'll check this option soon..

hehe - no, it's not Russian, it's German ;-)
(and I can't speak a word in Russian)

Last edited by Zel; 06-18-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Yes, Adobe reader uses the default fonts in the device, which usually doesn't include Chinese characters. I guess that's why you can't see them in Adobe reader.
If so, that should be fixable by using the Hacked AdobeViewer that lets you use any font.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84033
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
doremifaso
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If so, that should be fixable by using the Hacked AdobeViewer that lets you use any font.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84033
Cool! I never know that!