Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Any reason why you can't JUST use ADE?

I'm trying to set up my Kobo for my mother. If she doesn't like it, she'll give it back but if she does like it I am prepared to let her keep it---she is about to retire and I think she'll enjoy it Obviously I plan to pre-load it with some books for her, and she seems excited about it (it took some initial convincing, but now that she's on board, she is excited) but she is a bit worried about what will happen once she is done with the books I pre-load.

She is not very computer-savvy. I can see her figuring out the Kobo software, but I think she will want to borrow library books too and I can't see her enjoying having to juggle multiple software programs. And I don't see what the Kobo software really adds to the experience unless there is something obvious I am missing---I used ADE (actually, the Sony software) just fine before the Kobo software came out, including with my test unit which didn't have the software on it.

Come to think of it, why not just use the Sony software? Then she could buy with Kobo, Sony OR the library...

I want to set up ONE program on her computer, teach her how to use it and be confident she is good to go. Best plan?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Great question.

I have the Sony e-reader installed but I don't and have never had a Sony. I'm not sure how I ended up there -- probably fooling around to see what the PC reader looked like. I installed Adobe Digital Editions around the same time, and perhaps as a result of adding Overdrive to access library books. However, I later deleted ADE and the Sony version receives the library books automatically -- since it is already a rebranded, customized version of ADE.

The Sony software doesn't seem to recognise the Kobo and, in any case, since I have reinstalled ADE, I've discovered the interface of ADE is actually easier to use than the Sony (without a Sony device). ADE offers the Kobo, allows drag 'n' drop, allows me to access the same directory on my computer for purchased (or non-DRMed ePub) titles.

To keep it simple, I'd be inclined to delete the Sony software and stick with ADE and Kobo -- ADE to manage the device, Kobo to make purchases and do the syncing thing (which you have to have to ensure firmware updates are installed). And by making a desktop shortcut to the ADE directory, anything your mom downloads from, say mobilereader or Gutenberg in ePub, can go directly there which can then easily be shuttled back and forth to the Kobo.

The Kobo bookstore promise is to embrace titles available in each local market and, with Indigo representing Canada, you can be sure anything ePub by Canadians will be there ... I am not sure that applies to the Sony bookstore. Down the road, you can always introduce a second or more commercial suppliers if that strategy isn't adequate.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert