Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
csbower
csbower began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Smile hello

Just bought my daughter a kindle and was interested in figuring out how to get books from other sources other than amazon for her to read. Any insights appreciated!
csbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi csbower, welcome to MR!

That's a great gift for your daughter! The Kindle can read books in mobi format (file extension is usually .mobi or .prc). If you click on the E-Books link on this site, you'll find lots of free books. There are also many other websites that have free or inexpensive (or expensive!) books. I have only gotten books from Amazon or here, so I'll let others fill you in the other bookstores you could choose from.

These instructions are assuming you use Windows. If you use a Mac, someone else will have to supply instructions:

1. Download the book file to your computer.
2. Attach your Kindle to the computer via USB.
3. Open a File Explorer window. The Kindle will show up as a drive.
4. Copy the file from your computer to the Documents folder on the Kindle drive.
5. Use the "Safely Remove Device" before you remove the USB cable.

I think that's about it--I'm sure others will be along to chime in if I missed anything!

Have fun!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, csbower.

You'll definitely want to start here. Books that have been formatted by our own members..

Free books are also available from

www.feedbooks.com

www.manybooks.net

and others will chime in on different sites.

This thread from here is worth bookmarking..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63773

Free books are either public domain, or author will sometimes post freebies on Amazon.

Also, independent authors have free ones.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new user