Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Help! British Sea Captain; Can't Recall the Title

I read a series of books about an English sea captain that took place in the late 1700's (I think). He was a person of noble birth and was a very successful ship's master.

I recall that, in one book, he disguised himself as a bear as he and the ship's surgeon sneaked through Spain.

If you know who I'm referring to, please advise

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I read a series of books about an English sea captain that took place in the late 1700's (I think). He was a person of noble birth and was a very successful ship's master.

I recall that, in one book, he disguised himself as a bear as he and the ship's surgeon sneaked through Spain.

If you know who I'm referring to, please advise

Thanks
The ship's surgeon part makes me thing of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Of which "Master and Commander" is the first. I don't recall Jack Aubrey being of noble birth however.

Is that it?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hmmm, I think that could be it. Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Yes, Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Jack Aubrey's father wasn't a nobleman, he was a member of Parliament. In the 2nd book, Post Captain, he and Maturin sneaked across France into Spain with Jack in a bear skin.

Not ebook'd.. And these are my #1 fav read of any book series.

NY Times - Richard Snow

Washington Post - Kenneth Ringle

NY Times - David Mamet

Washington Post - George Will

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-30-2010 at 08:09 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Yes, Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Jack Aubrey's father wasn't a nobleman, he was a member of Parlament. In the 2nd book, Post Captain, he and Maturin sneaked across France into Spain with Jack in a bear skin.
Thanks it's been a while since I've read through the series.

Quote:
Not ebook'd.. And these are my #1 fav read of any book series.
If you like the Aubrey series you may also like the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. This is avaiable in e form, from Amazon (I didn't see it on Fictionwise, though).
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
If you like the Aubrey series you may also like the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. This is avaiable in e form, from Amazon (I didn't see it on Fictionwise, though).
Thanks Got 'em, read 'em all (in paper long ago, several times), excellent read.

Napoleonic Age sea novels, I rank them O'Brian, (Alexander) Kent, Forester, Marryat, (Dudley) Pope. Bunch of newer writers too but I haven't read them all.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Okay then I'll try slight genre bending and thread hijacking at the same time, to see if I can get a new one for you

Have you tried the Two-Space war series by David Grossman?
Available from Baen
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Okay then I'll try slight genre bending and thread hijacking at the same time, to see if I can get a new one for you

Available from Baen
I have not. But for a fellow O'Brian appreciator, I will <grins>
Thank you, heh...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:

Available from Baen
Ick... Sorry, I haven't read the book -- it might be a ripping good yarn -- but the description of it makes it seem a little too far fetched for me.

That being said, if one does want some good science fiction that was inspired by Forrester or O'Brian, Baen publishes the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber and the Republic of Cinnabar Navy Series by David Drake. The best part is that both series are available legally and free of charge at the fifth imperium website (I would recommend at least buying a few of them though... Baen and the authors do deserve to be rewarded for these boks).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Nexus S
Reading your question I had to think of the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower

There are 13 books...I just read parts of one book for a literature essay so I don't really know if he dresses up as a bear ans sneaks through spain ;-) Sounds like funny plot though - and Hornblower at some points is kind of a anti-heroe; e.g. he is tonedeaf and at some point he confuses the french and britain national anthems or something like that :-)
BlueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonkey View Post
Reading your question I had to think of the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower

There are 13 books...I just read parts of one book for a literature essay so I don't really know if he dresses up as a bear ans sneaks through spain ;-) Sounds like funny plot though - and Hornblower at some points is kind of a anti-heroe; e.g. he is tonedeaf and at some point he confuses the french and britain national anthems or something like that :-)
I am not sure I would ever have applied the concept of anti-hero to Hornblower. His word is his bond, he is merciful and his actions are almost always for the good of England and hardly ever for his own direct benefit. Shoot, he even gets married because he can't bear to tell a woman he doesn't really love her.

Heros can have flaws. What makes them an anti-hero is when their motives are seriously flawed or their actions step considerably outside the realm of what would be acceptable (at least inside the genre).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote