Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Did Sony lie to me?

I love my Sony 505. It works just the way I need it to, handles the way I want it to, and is as convenient as I expected it to be. But...

Sony's advertising says that the 505 gets about 7,000 page-turns on one battery charge (assuming that one isn't using the audio at the same time.) I always let my device discharge until the warning signal goes on for low battery then immediately plug it into an AC wall charger. I used to charge it until after the red light went off. Then I began charging it for a couple of hours longer after the light went off. I've recharged it at least a dozen times now, but it seems that I only get about 2,000 page-turns at the most on a single charge. I even tried letting it charge through the USB cable leaving it on overnight. Still only about 2,000 page-turns to a charge. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

I realize that when new the battery needs to go through several cycles before it will take a full charge, but isn't a dozen enough?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I think 7000 is the number of page turns you'd get if you read continuously. I'm sure I've seen discussed somewhere here that 2000 page turns is fairly normal, as the battery continues to be used when your reader is not being used (unless you shut it down completely, when you then use battery power as it turns back on!). I did a quick search and couldn't find the thread where I saw this, but I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if I'm wrong!

I find I probably get more than 2000 page turns, but I read fast, and continuously for long periods, plus when reading in bed I take my glasses off and use the largest text size.

It also depends on how often you go back to the main menu, search through for a book you want to read/a particular bookmark etc.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
It is 7000 pageturns OR 3 weeks of doing nothing.
SO you could read, for example, 3500 pages in 1 and a half weeks.

Also bear in mind that using SD card impacts the battery life. Also opening of a book, repaginating the book can impact the battery life quite a lot.

It is possible to get [plus minus] 7000 pageturns
Load a 1000 page book. It should be the only book in the main memory. Remove SD card. Open the book on page 1. *Now* charge the device, and start turning the pages. When you get to the end of the book, go to page 1 and repeat turning pages in 1 second intervals. It won't take more than 2 hours and one very sore finger.
Click, click, click, [6997 more clicks I am not going to write here]

See ... they are NOT lying ... you are just not told the whole truth ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 7000 page turns is just advertising hype from PVI, the screen maker. It's the number of page turns you'd achieve if you fully charged the battery, then flipped pages as fast as it goes until the battery was flat. It has little or no connection with "real world" usage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Stitchawl I agree with you, I might get around 2 to 3000 depending how long I have to just sit and read, but I tend to open turn on read for a while then turn off again. (wish I had more time). So as the others have said if you had nothing else to do then just sit and hit the turn page button over and over maybe you might get the said amount..But what the heck I love my reader any way.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Sony's advertising says that the 505 gets about 7,000 page-turns on one battery charge (assuming that one isn't using the audio at the same time.)
I never came close to this number, but it really is possible in ideal conditions: e.g. if you use the largest zoom and LRF files, you can indeed come close to 7000 pages (I myself saw 6000 and the Reader's battery still had some charge in it).

When reading at the default zoom, I experience something around 2000 pages, just like you do.

Note: The zoom itself has (probably) nothing to do with battery charge per se, but with larger letters, there are fewer words per page, resulting in page taking much less time to read, resulting in less power wasted with "doing nothing".
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
That said, my first 505 really did have a battery issue. I returned for a replacement which had much better battery life. So if you feel you aren't getting the battery performance you expected, have Sony take a look at your device. (I returned mine to Borders with no hassle, I just told them the battery was failing and they replaced the device.)
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, folks. I really don't mind the battery life I'm getting. It suits my needs. I just wondered if it was 'normal.' I do turn my reader on and off all day long, reading for 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there. Charging every third or fourth or fifth book is not a problem for me.

I have two memory cards in the device, but I really haven't been using them. Would taking them out affect the battery life? I suppose the reader accesses them when turning on, but not during actual usage. I feel an experiment coming on!

Stitchawl
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks, folks. I really don't mind the battery life I'm getting. It suits my needs. I just wondered if it was 'normal.' I do turn my reader on and off all day long, reading for 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there. Charging every third or fourth or fifth book is not a problem for me.

I have two memory cards in the device, but I really haven't been using them. Would taking them out affect the battery life? I suppose the reader accesses them when turning on, but not during actual usage. I feel an experiment coming on!

Stitchawl
From what I understand, yes, the SD cards will drain the battery more than if they weren't there.

I usually charge mine once every two weeks (but I don't let it go down all the way, so it could probably last three).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You genuinely do turn it off - using the "shut down" option from the menu?

The "power switch" does not turn off the device. It does absolutely nothing other than to blank the screen and lock most of the buttons. The operating system continues to run, draining the battery, etc.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You genuinely do turn it off - using the "shut down" option from the menu?

The "power switch" does not turn off the device. It does absolutely nothing other than to blank the screen and lock most of the buttons. The operating system continues to run, draining the battery, etc.

Say what?!? Does this mean that all this time I've been leaving my reader on 24/7? That's outrageous, even for a techno-dummy like me! (... runs to take a closer look at his device.... Hmmmm.... there IS a shut-down button buried deep within the menu..... WOW! )
Thank kew veddy much, Harry!

But... it takes much longer to turn on the reader when I have it shut down... unless I remove both of the memory cards.... Hmmmm.... to sooth the savage beast or save the ravaged battery? What the heck! I usually don't listen to music when I'm reading anyway!
Thanks again, Harry. I suppose at some point I must RTFM.

Stitchawl
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Say what?!? Does this mean that all this time I've been leaving my reader on 24/7? That's outrageous, even for a techno-dummy like me! (... runs to take a closer look at his device.... Hmmmm.... there IS a shut-down button buried deep within the menu..... WOW! )
Thank kew veddy much, Harry!

But... it takes much longer to turn on the reader when I have it shut down... unless I remove both of the memory cards.... Hmmmm.... to sooth the savage beast or save the ravaged battery? What the heck! I usually don't listen to music when I'm reading anyway!
Thanks again, Harry. I suppose at some point I must RTFM.

Stitchawl
Don't worry about it too much. I've had mine over a year and never have done a shutdown. I think as long as you keep it charged it's OK.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Don't worry about it too much. I've had mine over a year and never have done a shutdown. I think as long as you keep it charged it's OK.
In the end, it's all about if you want the longer battery life, or the faster "start-up" (no startup required if you don't turn it off )

I know what I would want...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The only real occasion to fully shut the device down is if you're not going to be using it for a while. "Normal" usage is to use the (so-called) "power switch". You should get perhaps 2-3 weeks usage on a battery charge by doing so.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Good info!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote