Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Always Innovating Touch Book

Always Innovating's Touch Book is being touted, among other things, as an e-book reader. If done right, it might be an interesting read!

Laptop computer, handheld game device, e-book reader and video player, the multi form factor Touch Book with its clever multi form factors, is the perfect all-in-one second notebook.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Always Innovating's Touch Book is being touted, among other things, as an e-book reader. If done right, it might be an interesting read!

Laptop computer, handheld game device, e-book reader and video player, the multi form factor Touch Book with its clever multi form factors, is the perfect all-in-one second notebook.

Yeahbut. It uses the TouchOS. Hmmm... Now maybe there will be good support, maybe not. I'd kindof like to know more about what apps run on it.

And the $399 price for the Touch Book w/keyboard module seems a 'bit' steep considering I got my Dell Mini 12 for $359.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Tablets have always been more expensive than laptops, but $300 for the tablet alone when there are good netbooks going for that same price? Come on, this is ridiculous! Make it closer to $200 and I will pay attention.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 05-20-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the price is very competitive in a non existent market, it is a netbook with a touch screen, afaik there are no others yet.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yeah, but the ARM processor makes this a wait and see. I don't even know what Linux distros still support ARM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Sounds like this should be in a sub-forum of "semi-vaporware readers" to which you could also add the onyx boox, which seems to have disappeared off the reality radar despite the company saying it would launch by June 09
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
asciiforever
asciiforever began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, but the ARM processor makes this a wait and see. I don't even know what Linux distros still support ARM.
You make it sound like ARM support in Linux is something that is fading away, which is precisely the opposite of what is happening. ARM systems are gaining popularity, and so operating systems are picking up support. Debian has supported it for a while. Ubuntu added it for 9.04.

And mobelby, it is semi-vaporware in that it hasn't been released yet, but they seem to be on schedule. I submitted a preorder for a Touch Book shortly after they were announced, and I got an email on 5/11 stating the following:

Quote:
Thank you very much for preordering the Touch Book. We are both pleased and flattered by the enthusiastic response we have gotten from customers since unveiling the product.

We just wanted to let you know what we've been up to since we announced the Touch Book back in March. Development has been progressing very nicely. We're still on track to start shipping early this summer as we originally announced.

Next month, we will post the full, finalized specifications on our website, and let you know precisely when your Touch Book will ship and when your credit card will be charged. We'll also post a few videos of the Touch Book and Touch Book OS so you can see them in action. You will be notified by email when this happens.

If you have any questions or need to make any changes to your preorder, please don't hesitate to contact us:
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/company/contact.htm

We appreciate your order,
The Always Innovating Team
asciiforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciiforever View Post
ARM systems are gaining popularity, and so operating systems are picking up support. Debian has supported it for a while. Ubuntu added it for 9.04.
That's good to know, since last I checked a couple of years back, some of the distros dropped support for ARM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Sounds like this should be in a sub-forum of "semi-vaporware readers" to which you could also add the onyx boox, which seems to have disappeared off the reality radar despite the company saying it would launch by June 09
I can not predict what will become of this tablet, it might fade away. But one thing is certain, Always Innovating device is unlike most of its competition. As a derivative of beagle board, it is an OPEN hardware platform, with all schematics posted on their web site and available right now.

Always Innovating has provided a "bare metal" platform, literally. Availability of software, maintenance, its evolution, is completely left to the open source community. Or Microsoft, if WinCE board support project delivers on its promise.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
That's the exact thing i want, but only with a pixelQ screen. But it doesn't have one, so...bummer.
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
This is basically exactly what Im looking for...but as I said in the a700 thread, I wonder how the two will stack up
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
One of the most innovative features of this thing is the internal USB slots. One of my least favorite things with netbooks/laptops is having a bunch of dongles hanging off the side of them just begging to be broken off!

I guess the Netbook manufacturers are unwilling to give up any cubic centimeters of volume to provide a dongle compartment!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nope not for me...first off an ARM OMAP3? not when there are far more powerful CPU's that cost LESS. Second and even more significant, a POS GLOSSY DISPLAY...yeah read on that next to a big bay window.

Great look but not thrilled with the components. And didn't either Asus or Panasonic (or someone??) come out with basically that same design a few years back? It really looked familiar. Maybe the one I remember was just a mini-laptop and did not to that really cool transformer move. Still it looks to me like a larger version of the N8x0 internet tablets.

Even if they add a 3Qi display, it will be a very limited device and won't come close to running the apps a larger netbook format device can run since they are limited to OMAP3 and just 8GB internal storage? $100-$150 max for me in terms of value.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Was just reading the faq section on this one. Says the battery lasts 3 - 5 hrs with standalone tablet and 10 - 15 hours with keyboard attached. So you only get the long battery life if you keep it attached to the keyboard. Unless I misunderstood in the faq section, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't say the weight but I'm guessing it would be reasonably heavy.

Nope, think I'ld pass.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
Was just reading the faq section on this one. Says the battery lasts 3 - 5 hrs with standalone tablet and 10 - 15 hours with keyboard attached. So you only get the long battery life if you keep it attached to the keyboard.
That sounds right. It has two batteries, one in the screen and the other in the keyboard.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote