Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
mahler
mahler began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Help me with my reading list

Since I got my e-reader I've been try to compile a literature must read list for my backpacking trip.

I found this list (a MFA prep list). Could someone tell me if this is a good place to start? It seems well rounded.
Are there any books that are missing (or a few I should remove)? If you don't want to openly suggest removing a book, pm me.

Theres a copy of the list below

Reading list for Master's Degree preparation

FIELD #1: MEDIEVAL LITERATURE

Beowulf (in verse translation)
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (in verse translation)
Chaucer, Canterbury Tales Selections

FIELD #2: RENAISSANCE LITERATURE

Spenser, The Faerie Queene, Book I
Shakespeare, King Lear
John Donne, Selections
Milton, Paradise Lost, Books I and II

FIELD #3: RESTORATION AND EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY BRITISH LITERATURE

Congreve, The Way of the World
Dryden, “Absalom and Achitophel”;
Pope, “The Rape of the Lock”
Gray, “Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard”
Swift, Gulliver’s Travels
Johnson, “Preface to Shakespeare”

FIELD #4: ROMANTIC AND VICTORIAN LITERATURE
Smith, Elegiac Sonnets #1, #8, and #12
Wordsworth, Selections From
Coleridge, “CristabelÓ;
Keats, Selections from
Eliot, Middlemarch
Tennyson, In Memoriam (selections from the Norton Anthology)
Browning, “Andrea del Sarto” and “Fra Lippo Lippi”

FIELD #5: TWENTIETH-CENTURY BRITISH LITERATURE

Joseph Conrad: Heart of Darkness
W.B. Yeats: Selections From
E. M. Forster: A Passage to India
D. H. Lawrence: Sons and Lovers OR Women in Love
T. S. Eliot: Selections
James Joyce: The Dubliners, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Samuel Beckett: Waiting for Godot

FIELD #6: EARLY AMERICAN LITERATURE

Ann Bradstreet, Selections From
Melville, “Bartleby the Scrivener”;
Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
Stephen Crane, The Red Badge of Courage
Walt Whitman, Selections
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

FIELD #7: TWENTIETH-CENTURY AMERICAN LITERATURE

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Gertrude Stein, Three Lives
Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
Robert Frost, Selections from
Alice Walker, Meridian

Last edited by mahler; 11-02-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added Copy of Reading List
mahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
How long is this backpacking trip?!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
mahler

I guess the list is a little long, although there seems to be a lot of short stories/poems in there.

The trip is six months, and I'm a heavy reader.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You could try some of Entertainment Weekly's "New Classics: Books
The 100 best reads from 1983 to 2008
"
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How about this:
http://www.listology.com/content_sho...id.22845/Books
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What a peculiar list. How anyone can list 19th century literature and make no mention of authors like Austen or Dickens I just can't understand!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, the Victorian list has exactly one novel and some poetry.
Middlemarch is a fine novel, but the 19th century was the age of the circulating library and the three-volume novel. I would have thought some Jane Austen, some Dickens and a Bronte would feature.
And some Byron in the poetry section would be a useful addition.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be interesting to know what it's a reading list for. Some sort of poetry course would be my guess.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Fortunately for mahler, we have a fair number of these texts freely available in our Book Upload section.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
No George Orwell? Big Brother IS watching you!

No "Moby Dick", no "Ulysses". Peculiar indeed!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
A six month trip? Ok, now the length of the list makes sense. I thought you were trying to cram all of that reading into a 2 week excursion.

You might consider picking a few from this list. It offers additional selections from many of the authors on your original list.
http://classiclit.about.com/library/...l-booklist.htm

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
mahler

Thanks for helping me out guys, I've been browsing this forum for quite awhile now and finally made a post.

HarryT: It looks like a M.A. in English, heres the link to her description.

Patricia: Austen and Dickens, thanks! A friend of mine is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice, I guess it time to read it.

mtravellerh: I just read Moby Dick and 1984. I couldn't get into Ulysses, i'll give it another try.

BookishDreamer: excellent idea!

Now for me to browse a the lists and add to my list.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I don't think Beowulf is considered medieval literature, are you just using this term loosely?

For medieval
I'm surprised you don't have Dante. Some consider it religious text but it is true literature.
There is a copy of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight here, not sure if that is what your looking for. If it's not be kind, I'm the one that uploaded it

For the Renaissance age
Don Quijote (although this might take you the whole 6mo)

And for the 20th
I'm really surprised you don't have any of Steinbeck works listed. Have you already read most of his works?

As for Shakespeare? King lear is good, but so is MacBeth, Othello, Henry IV (my personal favorite). Richard III (also good), and Hamlet. Any reason why you picked King Lear? More curious than anything.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-04-2008 at 01:33 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
For medieval
I'm surprised you don't have Dante. Some consider it religious text but it is true literature.
There is a copy of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight here, not sure if that is what your looking for. If it's not be kind, I'm the one that uploaded it

For the Renaissance age
Don Quijote (although this might take you the whole 6mo)

And for the 20th
I'm really surprised you don't have any of Steinbeck works listed. Have you already read most of his works?
If it's an MA in English literature, then you wouldn't expect Dante or Cervantes to be included, since the first is Italian and the second Spanish. Even Steinbeck might be considered rather dubious - such courses often concentrate solely on British authors, considering American literature to be a distinct genre.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #15
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
mahler, these great plans never work out. Download all those titles by all means, but just read the ones you enjoy. Reading is an adventure -- you go from one book to the next in a kind of bagatelle-ball trajectory which is unique and unrepeatable, because your tastes and interests change and mature during the reading process.

But I'm glad to see you rate The Faerie Queene : try this PG edition, which I edited under my real name some 20 years ago. Reading that book certainly changed my tastes and interests!
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote