Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
e-enker
e-enker began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
iliad for emails?

Is it possible to write and read, send and receive emails on the iliad through a normal email account like yahoo, hotmail etc?

Do the browsers for the iliad support that?

Thanx,
e-e.
e-enker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I can use both Midori and Dillo on my iLiad to write/read/send/receive emails wirelessly via my Fastmail account (www.fastmail.com.au). They're both very slow, though.

Last edited by cbell; 09-08-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added write/read :) added Dillo
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
e-enker

Thanks for the post.

When you say its very slow, do you mean its practically useless, or is it still fast enough to use it somewhat conveniently?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Oh, its definitely usable and I do use my iLiad for emails and surfing. I just didn't want you to think its anywhere near as fast and reliable as a PC for using the internet.

I can easily access this forum and many other sites and I download from Feedbooks directly to my iLiad quickly and easily with iNewsStand.

I tried to access Yahoo Mail to test it for you, but neither of the iLiad browsers I use are supported. The 2 browsers display websites differently (Midori is the middle pic, Dillo the other 2 pics).

Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_080909_194540.png
Views:	404
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	16573 Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_080924_180138.png
Views:	415
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	16574 Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_080813_201537.png
Views:	379
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	16575

Last edited by cbell; 09-25-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
e-enker

Cool you can use it to email and stuff...

Im wondering if I should buy an iliad right away, but irex has announced a new device and this new device will have an internet browser as a standard..and it will even be able to display flash-sites by rendering them static...at least that is what the CEO from irex said...the only problem is that they have not indicated a release date yet..could be available in two months, or six months.
So if I bought an iliad now and the new device is out in two months then I would be frustrated ...but I also dont want to wait six months. I guess Ill wait to see what info irex will put out about it...lets see.

Thank you for trying yahoo out for me.
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If internet access is important for you, you honestly are a lot better off using a standard Notebook or Tablet PC. iRex have said that thei new model with WiFi isn't going to be released until sometime in 2009.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
cbell
Frenetic

I agree with Harry. An iLiad doesn't replace a PC for internet browsing, emails, etc.

iLiads are designed for reading eBooks and reading/annotating documents and that's what they do really well.

The iLiad's browsing capability is basic and limited - some sites don't display, some links don't work and you can't download or send email attachments. Scrolling across and around webpages is unreliable and can be slow.

I note that the flash objects used on DA Direct's site are passed over (ignored) by the iLiad, but animated gifs display OK.

It will be interesting to see the browser capability of the DR1000 wireless edition, but I doubt it will be sufficient to replace a PC for browsing, emailing etc.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "mini notebooks" now being released by many PC manufacturers make superb portable internet devices. I have the Dell machine, but there are many other available. Far cheaper than an iLiad .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
e-enker

I dont need the iliad as a substitute for a pc or laptop.

All I would need it for is to display one particular site which I need for studying. That site is a http address though and I guess that pure http addresses dont work with the iliad. If the yahoo email account doesnt work on the iliad then Im pretty sure that the site I need cant be displayed either.

Maybe a sunlight viewable pda is a solution for me because I need to use it without backlight. But a pda would be only good for me if the contrast without backlight is better than a printed text behind a smokescreen. I mean when the display without backlight is pale and milky or like washed out, then its useless.

Ill try to find out more about sunlightreadability in pdas. Maybe there are tablet pcs available that have these displays.

In a catalogue I saw a HP ipaq , it was a pda with integrated gps, and the descriptions said that it had a "transmissive" display..is "transmissive" the same as "transflective"? Or the opposite?

Maybe the pdas with integrated gps have the best sunlightreadable screens, because handheld gps devices are usually used outdoors.

I might also use a pda in combination with an iliad so that I use the pada to look up the site I need, and the iliad I use to read it.

Or if all that doesnt work satisfyingly then I will have to wait for the new irex 100 sw.
Im positive that the new one will be able to display mosts sites on the net the site I need is not very complicated, but its pure http.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Maybe a silly question, but you have an idea what the Iliad's maximum framerate is?

You spoke of animated gifs, I wonder how they display, seeing that some animated gifs run at 15fps.

I wished we could go back to the internet of 1998,where the maximum commercial you got while browsing was animated gif. And not much because many cpu's couldn't handle too many moving parts at the same time.

banners and ads are better just being jpegs. But nowadays certain sites don't even run without flash player installed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-enker View Post
All I would need it for is to display one particular site which I need for studying. That site is a http address though and I guess that pure http addresses dont work with the iliad. If the yahoo email account doesnt work on the iliad then Im pretty sure that the site I need cant be displayed either.

Maybe a sunlight viewable pda is a solution for me because I need to use it without backlight.
If the site has a "pda" or "mobile" version (simplified HTML and page layout), then this will almost certainly work on the iLiad. Another option that might be worth trying if the site does not require data entry is Plucker - use a PC to "pluck" the web site (e.g. with Sunrise XP) and then view it on the iLiad using FBReader. You can test FBReader on any desktop PC. However, if Sunrise XP can pluck the web site then one of the iLiad browsers might also work.

The Nokia N810 has a sunlight viewable LCD screen, and is probably your best best for a "PDA". It has a full web browser and does not need a "mobile" web site to work. It can also be used as an e-book reader, again using FBReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
e-enker

I just found out that there have been new replies to this thread.

So when I pluck a site then that means that I would have to save it offline like a document and view it in the iliad like that? That might work, I have also thought of simply saving the pages as an image and then just viewing it in the iliad.

Is it actually possible to use the web browser of the iliad to view general documents from the memory of the iliad?
Someone told me that normally it is not possible to browse through documents, so the person told me that if you are reading a text for example and you want to open another document then you would have to close the text, go in the directory where the other document is stored and seperately open it. Could you yuse the browser to browse through files on the iliad without closing an already opened document?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I can't be sure if iLiad does fit your needs. But if iLiad does, DR1000 will do better. DR1000 has bigger screen, and better software support. I would suggest you focus on DR1000, instead of iLiad.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote