Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I find neither colour easy to read. Why not just use black on white...
Because then it would not be colored.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I also have trouble with low contrast colors. I pretty much stick to (near) Primary colors.
Age does that to us.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

@JSWolf and @theducks and the rest of the already somewhat older generation!

Because it's christmas (and maybe only temporary) I change it to primary colors, to black and white!

EDIT @the ducks
Now I got you! There is (something like) cyan in your signature! Or am I wrong?

Last edited by chaot; 12-30-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add: EDIT
Old 12-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Heavy stuff! You should understand: Writing a book you got no time for something like that.
Hmmm, a writer who doesn't read. So, I shouldn't expect to find any references or a bibliography in your masterpiece. You probably think Grass didn't read Schiller and Brecht, or Dylan hasn't read Virgil and Auden, or Rowling, The Kabbalah and Rumi.

Quote:
Punctuation rules are probably different depending on the language. This should be considered, possibly pointed out.
You seem to be conflating the linguistic and typographical aspects of punctuation. Aaah, but we've already established you prefer not read what's shoved under your nose.

There's also the issue that publishers and editors (the people-kind, not the efforts of the programmer-kind) often impose style guides on their writers. Some will insist an ellipsis be written as ' . . . ', other's will mandate ' ... ' and still others prefer '… '. It's all a matter style, which Jefferson suggested we swim with, but try telling that to the NYRB, who in the past wasted entire forests discussing such things at considerable length.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-30-2016 at 06:34 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I also have trouble with low contrast colors. I pretty much stick to (near) Primary colors. Age does that to us.
I avoid the problem by suppressing their display in CP->Edit options, avatars too.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Where is the link?
Download
Sorry, not active!
I think that's supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure how. It might have been a request to post some links to regex pages. I think I'll be as lazy as you and not bother. After all, all you need to do is type "regex" into your favourite search engine and pick the result that you like the most. And really, you haven't researched them already?

By the way, I'm really looking forward to reading your book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It should be interesting to see a book written on a subject that the author knows nothing about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #23
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmm, a writer who doesn't read. So, I shouldn't expect to find any references or a bibliography in your masterpiece.
First, you misinterpret me. (As a young man, I read Plato's dialogues and that sort of stuff, very helpfull for discussions. But only as long as the dialogue partner sincerely, honestly replies. In today's mendacious world, all this is less useful.
Second, I will quote sources.
Quote:
You seem to be conflating the linguistic and typographical aspects of punctuation.
I conflate even more. Wait and see. 'The world is changing', you know.

Quote:
Aaah, but we've already established you prefer not read what's shoved under your nose.
Wrong! I said it and say it again: my access to internet is limited. This means certain consequences.

Last edited by chaot; 01-04-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #24
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think that's supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure how. It might have been a request to post some links to regex pages.
Right - it's a kind of humor. We know, everything is to find in the web, including free sex. The problem sometimes is to find it.

Quote:
I think I'll be as lazy as you and not bother. After all, all you need to do is type "regex" into your favourite search engine and pick the result that you like the most. And really, you haven't researched them already?
Right again! About 7.330.000 results (GOOGLE search) - I have not worked all yet.

Quote:
Nice, friendly. Really! Your skepticism is an additional incentive for me.

To conclude, I would like to remark that the thread and my commentary on smartening b2 --with-regex was more thought as a fun to New Year.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #25
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
That's the point: Even if it is what has been done in every punctuation smartener that you know. Here, this kind of smartening makes no sense: the text will be alienated.
What I do in these situations is slap my forehead, undo the Smarten Punctuation, replace all occurrences of "--" with a yen sign or some other character not used elsewhere, redo the SP, then replace yen signs with "--"s. Why is that such a problem?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just a personal opinion, I use a simple rule-of-thumb when it comes to running any variety of Smarten Punctuation.

If the book contains computer code, don't do it - ever. The idea that one can use one-size-fits-all magic cleanup routines is madness. Best to employ the 'little grey cells' at all times.

It's possible that some Smarten routines may leave alone text inside <pre> tags, but I wouldn't rely on that without extensive testing. The use of <pre> tags isn't very ereader-friendly in any case.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #27
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
What I do in these situations is slap my forehead, undo the Smarten Punctuation, replace all occurrences of "--" with a yen sign or some other character not used elsewhere, redo the SP, then replace yen signs with "--"s. Why is that such a problem?
You need to think w/o outsourcing

(regarding your solution, that's the way I do it too)
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 AM   #28
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
[...] slap my forehead [...]
That's how I do it, too!

Quote:
Why is that such a problem?
The problem is somewhere else. I did not know the settings for Smarten Punctuation. The conversion from -- to – would thus remain undetected.

A possible answer prevailed: for that the Differences between Books window exists: With dozens or hundreds of 'smartenings' I had not looked at it so accurate until then. I changed my working method now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If the book contains computer code, don't do it - ever. The idea that one can use one-size-fits-all magic cleanup routines is madness. Best to employ the 'little grey cells' at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
You need to think w/o outsourcing
We thought, yet without result. Do you have that solution?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #29
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
The problem is somewhere else. I did not know the settings for Smarten Punctuation. The conversion from -- to – would thus remain undetected.
If you don't know what something will do, either don't do it or check what it does. There's a "See What Changed" button which will show you the changes if you go for the latter option. Press that instead of reflexively hitting OK. All the things you need are already there but you have to use them intelligently.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
MR offers Bold, Underline as easy ways to emphasize text without making it harder to read for people with vision issues.

Jon has this one right!
  • Want help?
  • Stop with the colors (in the body)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote