Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What format or formats do you read ebooks in?
Sony BBeB/LRF 44 49.44%
MobiPocket/PRC 39 43.82%
Microsoft LIT 16 17.98%
Plucker 4 4.49%
eReader (Palm Reader) 11 12.36%
IMP (GEB, REB, EB1150) 7 7.87%
Hiebook 0 0%
RocketBook2 2 2.25%
HTML 26 29.21%
DOC 14 15.73%
Text 22 24.72%
RTF 32 35.96%
PDF 26 29.21%
Psion 0 0%
CHM 5 5.62%
iSilo 4 4.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
How Do You Read Your E-Books

MobileRead has been posting free beautifully formatted ebooks for a few months now and developed a library of well over one thousand listings in Sony BBeB/LRF, MobiPocket/PRC, and a smattering of other formats.

To help me decide what formats to release books in in the future (and perhaps anyone else reading the results) how do you read your ebooks?

I've added a poll at the top of the page to capture most of the formats I know about. If I've missed your format just ask and I'll add it so we can have a set of poll results that do not depend on reading every entry to ensure that we haven't missed one. It is a multiple answer poll as many people read on several platforms and formats.

Thank you for your participation.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This poll just looks odd. 250%. My feeling would be to make it one vote for the primary format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
A poll like this you just ignore the % and look at total # voted for each.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This kind of info's always helpful to me: I'm about to release another book, and I want to know which formats are used, and which are not. I was actually considering yanking either the formatted or unformatted PDB format, or RTF, and replacing it with ePub.

Note: When I saw the title of the thread, I expected to be able to respond "Left to Right"...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it's interesting to see the secondary (and tertiary, etc.) preferences too, myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This poll just looks odd. 250%. My feeling would be to make it one vote for the primary format.
But many of us buy in many formats, depending on which one supports the books we buy. I might prefer format X, but if a book I want is in format Y, I buy that.

Turns out, I've already skewed the poll... I should have added a vote for PDF, because I have been known to read a few classics that way...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It will be interesting to find out how people here "reed" their books.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
This kind of info's always helpful to me: I'm about to release another book, and I want to know which formats are used, and which are not. I was actually considering yanking either the formatted or unformatted PDB format, or RTF, and replacing it with ePub.

Note: When I saw the title of the thread, I expected to be able to respond "Left to Right"...
Keep us posted to that release Steve!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
psion? i got rid of my psion 3 years ago, it was so last century
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting results so far. Just keep those cards and letters coming.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I voted PDF, RTF, and Sony BBeB/LRF. I only read PDFs that are especilly formatted for the Reader, like those from Feedbooks. As for RTFs, I use that format mostly for poetry, as I find poetry very hard to format with Book Designer. I guess I will stop using RTFs when I learn how to use kovidgoyal's program; I've read that it's better handling poetry than Book Designer.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I note that the standardized formats of HTML, DOC, TXT, RTF and PDF are making a good showing.

Query: Since ePub is built upon HTML, should we consider the positive showing of HTML equal to a positive sign for ePub in the future?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I note that the standardized formats of HTML, DOC, TXT, RTF and PDF are making a good showing.

Query: Since ePub is built upon HTML, should we consider the positive showing of HTML equal to a positive sign for ePub in the future?
I think that is a stretch. We could also look at PDF's poor showing as an indicator for Digital Editions.

When ePub is released for the devices such as the Sony and the iRex, and people have a chance to evaluate the performance vs the current BBeB/LRF and Mobi/PRC readers then we can start to consider them.

For me it is a matter of what tools are available. I don't need all of the features of the current InDesign suite so I will be looking for conversion tools that will take such base formats as DOC, HTML, RTF, or TXT as input. Hopefully there will be something as easy to use as the libprs500 collection or BookDesigner available. Once an easy to use tool is available I will start to convert all of the books I have posted in the download section so more will be able to read them.

One of the goals of the current poll is to discover if there is interest in the MobileRead community for any existing formats beyond the two main formats that we have sections for (BBeB/LRF and Mobi/PRC.) There have been only a few posts in the "Other" section and none of them as far as I can tell have generated that much interest in downloading.

I want to post what you might call "load-and-go" formats such as the current two formats or perhaps MS LIT. I am not looking to post files that you have to load into a converter (as opposed to a loader like Sony's Connect software) before you can load it to your reader. As a policy I won't post books in PDF or HTML. Some do, I don't.

I know SteveJordanBooks supports multiple formats and and many of our members have older dedicated readers that may not be able to read what we have posted.

I thank everyone that has already voted and if you have yet to vote, please vote now.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm happy with HTML, especially if it comes with the .opf file that FBReader can use to set the author, title, etc. But I'll take almost any file, because I have conversion tools to get to the format I want.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To answer the topic of how do I read my ebooks, the answer is with my eyes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote