Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Laura Ingalls Wilder's unpublished memoir, 'Pioneer Girl'

In November, Wilder's long-unpublished autobiography that she later adapted into the successful children's books will be published.

It's not meant to be scandalous or X-rated as the Daily Mail's headlines proclaim, but it does include scenes and characters that were left out of her popular Little House series of books for children.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2014/...lves-this-fall
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon has it being released in Hardcover on September 1st (list $39.95, amz price $35.95)...
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-T.../dp/0984504176

No ebook so far, but the publisher (South Dakota State Historical Society) does do ebooks of other books they've published so there may be one at some point.

SD Historical Soc press release...
http://www.sdshspress.com/index.php?&id=280&action=921

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-19-2014 at 09:38 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The book seems to have a lot of photographs, illustrations and annotations, so it may take some work to produce an ebook.

When I went out west, it seems everywhere I went there were expressway exit signs for Laura Ingalls Wilder's home. I saw them in Missouri, Minnesota, South Dakota and Kansas. The Ingalls moved around quite a bit.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
In November, Wilder's long-unpublished autobiography that she later adapted into the successful children's books will be published.

It's not meant to be scandalous or X-rated as the Daily Mail's headlines proclaim, but it does include scenes and characters that were left out of her popular Little House series of books for children.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2014/...lves-this-fall
I see the Christian Science Monitor has entirely left out Rose Wilder Lane's contribution to the books! I'm in the camp that says Rose was largely responsible for the final form of the books and that Laura only provided the raw material.

I know I'll read this and I've been following the story for some time, but for those who think the Little House books are largely accurate it might be an unwelcome surprise. But even Laura said something to the effect of, "I didn't realize I was writing history." It'll be necessary to get past that disconnect; the Little House books really are fiction.

I'm not going to pay $40 to read this, however; I'll wait on a (significant) price drop, or go to the library. For those who are curious, there's a lot of the "real story" available online.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
How exciting! We are reading these stories now (I am reading a chapter every night from Little House in the Big Woods to my 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son.) Now that I am reading it as an adult, I am interested to read "The Real Story".

I might even pay $40 if it is a nice size with a lot of pictures in it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert