Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
tom_a_sparks
tom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheese

Device: sony reader PRS-T1, kobo touch
Question eink device to prove the usability in a dtn

I am looking for a e-ink device to prove the usability in a Delay-Tolerant Network[1]

the requirement to prove the usability are email and web access

my wishlist device requirements are
  • keyboard
  • WIFI
  • memory card slot
  • SDK

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-tolerant_networking
tom_a_sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No eInk device is good for email and web browsing. I'd suggest that you get an Android LCD tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If it's possible on an e-ink reader, you'd need a rootable android device.

The Nook is the most stable rooted device. I've seen it running Quake 3...
The Sony is also rootable, but I don't think it's as stable.

For web browsing, you'd need to turn off the e-ink flashing. I understand this is possible with the Sony T2. Presumably this is possible in both devices once rooted.

No idea about attaching a hardware keyboard.

They have wifi.

Ultimately, if it's possible, you'd probably be best to look at a rooted a Nook. There is a software development sub-section in the Nook section where you could ask. You'd need to ask some technical questions to find out if it could be done.

Incidentally, why don't you want to use an Android phone or tablet?

Last edited by Rizla; 03-06-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What kind of SDK; there are lots of different ones. SDK just means software development kit.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
tom_a_sparks
tom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheese

Device: sony reader PRS-T1, kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Incidentally, why don't you want to use an Android phone or tablet?
the high up time and the off-gird nature of this project
tom_a_sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert