Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Danny.B
Danny.B began at the beginning.

Device: none
Large screen e-reader

Hello!

As a student I'm looking for an e-reader with whom I can :

- Read pdf (so at least 9')
- E-ink
- PDF format A4 donc minimum 9'
- Possibility to highlight and takes notes
- Possibility to transfer highlights and notes on a computer
- Possibilité d'annoter ET de surligner
- A touch screen would be better (especially for taking notes)

Does anybody has an advise about such an e-reader?

Thank you very much in advance!
Danny.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Binh.nt
Binh.nt began at the beginning.

Device: m92 from Alibaba.com
It is Onyx Boox M92 or Ectaco Jetbook Color can be your wishing device.
But M92 is a little more mature and stable software. You should check them at the Onyx and Jetbook color forums of this site to know more about how people are using them.
I am also looking for such a device like yours and just have an eye on the M92.
Good day.
Binh.nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Danny.B

Thank you very much, I'm going to check that!
The advantage of the Ectaco Jetbook Color seems to be the fact that it is in color, but at the same time this is not highly useful for academic texts...

If you've got other info, I'll be glad to read them
Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
The pocketbook are also 9" readers - if you look for Jbaach (a user on this forum) you will find a lot of videao comparisons of all matters of feaatures of the two. Onyx has a Pearl screen, the Pocketbooks do not, but apparently that is not too much of an issue (though I have never seen an Onyx, so I cannot really say - if pocketbook had perl, I'd take it ).

Colour is much better if you are using it for college, and if you have no experience of ereaders if I were you I'd first play aournd with one, as the speed of response is much different from a tablet. I strongly prefer e-ink, but my suspicion is that if you need it for college you'd be better off with a tablet.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Danny.B

Thanks Paola !

I also think that color could be highly appreciable, especially if I'm using it for reading academic articles or books. I've never tried an e-reader and the problem is I don't think I can actually try one, for example the Ectaco Jetbook Color, as I can only order it online... :S

Tablet are faster but the battery is much lower and, this is the main argument, I am already the whole day in front of a computer, so I don't want to spend the rest of the time in front of a tablet, which is not really good in regard to eyes and vision...
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
The pocketbook are also 9" readers -
They are, but the OP asked for a 9 foot reader, not a 9 inch one.

On the off-chance that this was a typo (since he appears to be a French speaker), I'd strongly suggest a tablet such as an iPad or similar-sized Android tablet. The iPad with the "Goodreader" app is a superb PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
The cheapest choice is the Kindle DX except there are some compromises. I paid $244 USD for a refurbished DX so that price is low. The DX is nearly obsolete and the software has not been updated by Amazon so that is a big disadvantage. The DX also only has 128M of memory and that could be a problem with browsing while I have never had a problem with just reading pdf files.
I have installed Duokan to read pdf files and that also works nicely.
The DX display is adequate except soon there could be large screen eink readers with 1600x1200 and that is what I would really like. The Hanvon E920 is advertised except not available as far as I know. That is similar to the Jetbook Color except without the color filters that cause a very dark grey background. The DX is just barely good enough for me until the E920 or similar reader is available maybe even with flexible eink.
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the off-chance that this was a typo (since he appears to be a French speaker), ...
"Off-chance"?
Is that supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humour, certainly lost here?

That notwithstanding I strongly second the choice of a tablet, a 4:3 format would be preferable and, no, it doesn't have to have a fruit on it, nor the price-tag that goes with it.

On the tablet-is-bad-for-eyes subject, people stubbornly repeat what they themselves have read somewhere, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof. Please allow me to quote myself from another post:
"Easier-on-the-eyes is a much flogged horse. I once googled for 2 hours on the subject, but other than personal preferences I could not find a single scientist/ opthomologist (? or whatever they're called) who substantiated that. Personally--again-- I found the Kindle 4 darker than an actual paperback, and on a plane or train more often than not needed artificial lighting. I'd rather have it in the device then. It is though hard on your eyes, if you turn the tablet up to full luminosity in pitch black surroundings. Same for any computer screen, don't sit in complete darkness, always have some other light source than just the screen."

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
"Off-chance"?
"Easier-on-the-eyes is a much flogged horse. I once googled for 2 hours on the subject, but other than personal preferences I could not find a single scientist/ opthomologist (? or whatever they're called) who substantiated that. Personally--again-- I found the Kindle 4 darker than an actual paperback, and on a plane or train more often than not needed artificial lighting. I'd rather have it in the device then. It is though hard on your eyes, if you turn the tablet up to full luminosity in pitch black surroundings. Same for any computer screen, don't sit in complete darkness, always have some other light source than just the screen."

Hendrik
On thinking though it, I have to agree with Hendrik. I spend the day in front of the computer at work. While my eyes sometimes get tired, I rather blame it on the lighting at work than the lighted screen.

You see, when I sit in front of the computer or TV at home, my eyes do not get tired at all. But then again, I turn on a dim light when watching TV or when I am on the computer at home. (I also try to keep my monitor brightness quite low.)
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Danny.B

Quote:
the OP asked for a 9 foot reader, not a 9 inch one.
On the off-chance that this was a typo (since he appears to be a French speaker)
Indeed, I'm looking for a 9 foot reader (size comparable to Kindle DX for example). Simple curiosity, but how does my french appear so clearly? By speaking that's understandable, but I thought it would not be like a rabbit in a shooting gallery by writing

Link with the debate around the tablet vs. the e-reader with the idea that
Quote:
On the tablet-is-bad-for-eyes subject, people stubbornly repeat what they themselves have read somewhere, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof.
I've to admit that I haven't heard nor read any conclusive proof or evidence. But I haven't also really looked for it. However, I strongly believe that this has an impact on eyes. I'm currently taking a medicine and one of its side-effect is having the eyes drier. After a day studying and writing on my computer (which has a "bright and reflective screen" such as tablets) I feel that my eyes are really tired even if I am working with light and a low luminosity on my computer. Compared with my previous computer which had a matt screen I definitely feel the difference. So for this reason I believe it is exactly the same with tablet with bright screen.

For the moment I am more up for the "Ectaco Jetbook Color", which has the advantage of having colors, but I'm still waiting as I'm not fully convinced about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B View Post
Simple curiosity, but how does my french appear so clearly?
Because some of your original post is written in French .

Quote:
Possibilité d'annoter ET de surligner
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I do agree with Harry. An iPad with GoodReader is the best option.

I faced same dilemma a year ago. I used to have a Kindle DXG, which is eink and big screen. It was too slow for PDFs and lacked of important features like annotations, TOC, etc. It was just to painful to use, especially with technical documents where you need to jump from back to forward without any logical order.

So I bought an iPad 2, paid for GoodReader and can't be happier.

I was reluctant at the beginning, as I'm a DBA and spend the whole day in front of a computer screen, actually two monitors, lol ... but I must admit that during a 30 to 60 min reading session, my eyes are perfectly fine. I do not read longer than that because my MS-SQL is technical stuff, so I need to practice what I read or read it one more time to assimilate. So no matter what, spending more than one hour on a computer book is kind of useless to me.

The iPad 2 is heavier than the Kindle DXG but light enough for using for an hour or less. As a matter of fact, is way less heavy than several of my 1k pages MS-SQL books or manuals.

The GoodReader app lets me add notes, highlight, create TOC and much more just touching the screen and without using painful and slow menus. And changing pages is as fast as swapping or moving my finger on the screen.

For long reading sessions though, like crime, novels (based on IT or computer books, like Kevin Mitnick stuff) or self help books I prefer my Kindle Touch.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
PocketBook 902 is on sale now, for $279.99 only. You won't find an e-reader with the large screen for this money.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I agree with Harry and jocampo. IME, e-readers just don't do the job that well for academic pdf reading. I use my iPad to read pfds several hours a day and it works very well for me.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
@Hendrik - but don't forget that ebook readers can be used in daylight and glaring sunshine, whereas tablets cannot. For example, I had a nice time on the beach with my ebook reader last year, and sitting outside in cafes and reading.

I too am torn between the PocketBook Pro 912 and Jetbook Color

Last edited by martienne; 05-27-2012 at 04:42 AM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote