Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #16
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Unhappy

Hmmm, after adding and deleting some books the card is now NOT working.

I switched on my Gen3 and immediately noticed that many of the book thumbnail images were not paired up correctly to the relevant book. I re-connected the device to the PC and tried various things but in the end I couldn't even delete some stuff from the card. They would appear to be deleted only to re-appear when refreshed.
I then tried connecting the card to windows via the card reader only to find that Windows didn't recognise it. I couldn't eject it or format it either. It completely slowed my PC down to a crawl.
I ended up putting another smaller 512MB card into my card reader, adding some books and then inserting it into the Gen3. So far this is working correctly.
The card that arrived with my Gen3 is the Elite Pro 2GB and I now think it is faulty.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

I switched on my Gen3 and immediately noticed that many of the book thumbnail images were not paired up correctly to the relevant book. I re-connected the device to the PC and tried various things but in the end I couldn't even delete some stuff from the card. They would appear to be deleted only to re-appear when refreshed.
I then tried connecting the card to windows via the card reader only to find that Windows didn't recognise it. I couldn't eject it or format it either. It completely slowed my PC down to a crawl.
I ended up putting another smaller 512MB card into my card reader, adding some books and then inserting it into the Gen3. So far this is working correctly.
The card that arrived with my Gen3 is the Elite Pro 2GB and I now think it is faulty.
You know, I think I am now QUITE GLAD that they did not ship an SD card to me when they shipped me my 'engineering sample' unit. I had to go and scrounge my own... That, of course, led me to be as cheap as I could be and I went out and bought an older SanDisk 2GB SD card on eBay for about $7-including shipping-and I've not had a problem with it.

In fact, I can state that those 'no name' SD cards that kinda-sorta look like the SanDisk, but the labels don't actually HAVE 'SanDisk' printed on them (blue and red label with the text in white) work great in all of the 256MB to 4GB range. I know this because I'm looking at a stack of them sitting in my 'offline library' pile and they're all loaded with ebooks and have all been used in the past month.

Sometimes, cheaper IS better.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

Ah, that sounds like what happened to my 2GB card: worked fine to start with but stopped working after I deleted the eBooks folder (which would then reappear again and disappear). In my case the Pictures folder claimed to be 137GB large, which I think has to be a problem on a 2GB card :-)

Formatting was a problem but possible in the end via Disk Manager (Explorer woudn't do it).
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Helra12
Helra12 doesn't litterHelra12 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook
Hello,
I'm French and it's my first message on this forum.
I had problems with my SD card until I noticed that I'had to format it in FAT 32.
Now everything is OK. Maybe this can help !
Helra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helra12 View Post
Hello,
I had problems with my SD card until I noticed that I'had to format it in FAT 32.
Helra,

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

You make a very good point. As I naturally format my SD cards to FAT32, this problem never arose for me.

Derek
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helra12 View Post
Hello,
Mine is FAT, no problems.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #22
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Mine is FAT, no problems.
The card I had problems with was raw (i.e. not formatted at all). I think that is what may have caused my problems. FAT and FAT32 both seem OK to me.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
My 2GB SD cart which was part of the Cybook Deluxe works, but every time I conect my Cybook with my PC (running Windows Vista), I get an error message that the card may be corrupt and the selection to either repair it or continue without repair. It doesn't matter which one I choose, the next time I connect the Cybook I get the same error message. I tried to reformat the Card => same result.
I tried a 1GB MMC-Card and a 4GB SD Card (not a SDHC Card, which works in an ILiad and an HP hx4700 PocketPC). Both cards don't work at all in the Cybook. It seems that Bookeen uses a realy strange SD Controller.
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I am using a 1 GB Kingston SD card that I had laying around and it works fine so far...no formatting needed.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I am using a 1 GB Kingston SD card that I had laying around and it works fine so far...no formatting needed.
Certainly formatting is needed but yours happens to be already formatted. As you say it was laying around, probably from some earlier use. Most, if not all, name brand SD cards are preformatted these days so unless something happens that corrupts the card they do not need to be formatted again.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've been using SD cards for years in my pocket pcs. Most of the SD cards I've purchased have come preformated in FAT (which is the same as FAT16) format. I've only ever had to format one SD card and that one came to me unformated.

The one I am using in my CyBook, I got a few weeks ago with a thumb drive/card reader. I've never used it before and so I decided to use it with my CyBook.

What I've discovered with SD cards is that they all seem to be slightly different. If you have difficulty using an SD card, the first thing to do is to try reformatting it - you can use a USB card reader and use your computer's format utility to do it. If that does not work, try a different brand card.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Panin
Panin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse
So, what is the answer to a non-working SD card?

My Cybook arrived this afternoon, and I love it.

Mostly.

I can't seem to get it to read from the SD card.

If I plug it into the pc, Mobipocket reader can see the card, and I can access it via 'my computer'.

The Cybook itself, however, can't see the .prc files on the card.

This is driving me slowly batty. (or should I say, more batty?)

Any suggestions, please?

Panin.
Panin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panin View Post
So, what is the answer to a non-working SD card?

My Cybook arrived this afternoon, and I love it.

Mostly.

I can't seem to get it to read from the SD card.

If I plug it into the pc, Mobipocket reader can see the card, and I can access it via 'my computer'.

The Cybook itself, however, can't see the .prc files on the card.

This is driving me slowly batty. (or should I say, more batty?)

Any suggestions, please?

Panin.
Are you sure you have them stashed in the /eBooks folder? There needs to be an /eBooks folder on the SD card as well as the one on the Cybook. If you don't have such a folder and haven't put your ebooks IN that folder, they ain't gonna be seen no matter how loud you scream or how much hair you pull out.

Derek
Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Did you plug the card or the Cybook into your computer? If you connected the Cybook did you see two USB disks?

Did you place the files in the eBook folder?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #30
Panin
Panin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse
Problems all solved by nicking the tiny weenie SD card from an old camera.

Interesting that the SD card supplied by Bookeen won't work, but that others will!

Panin.
Panin is offline   Reply With Quote