Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Software Features Wishlist

This thread is not a hardware discussion. It's only for software.

1. I want to see the clock while I am reading. Currently, the clock is only visible in the Settings menu.

2. The Kindle has basically the same flat file system as the Sony Reader. This is terribly disappointing. They gave us the ability to have thousands of ebooks, then took away any real way to organize them.

3. I want a search feature. In particular, I want to be able to search by author, title, and date (last read, created on, last modified). The Kindle is capable of this; it has a 400 MHz CPU. That's more than enough processing ability. And the keyboard almost begs for a search function. It is a shame they left the potential untapped.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I thought there was a search feature. Is it only within an ebook?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I thought in the video on amazon, he did a search and it searched in all the books on the Kindle and them came up with a little summary of what books it found them in...

But they may be different than what you are asking about, because you are asking about searching for a particular book title....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I thought there was a search feature. Is it only within an ebook?
If there was a search function, then i would expect it to be in the Show and Sort menu. It's not. The only thing you can do is sort the entire list by date ascending, date descending, title, and author. When you do this, you will see all the items on your Kindle. I want to be able to type in an authors name and see a list of a subset of books, not the entire list.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If there was a search function, then i would expect it to be in the Show and Sort menu. It's not. The only thing you can do is sort the entire list by date ascending, date descending, title, and author. When you do this, you will see all the items on your Kindle. I want to be able to type in an authors name and see a list of a subset of books, not the entire list.
I thought it was a button on the keyboard. I have one to add, though I don't even have mine yet:

The ability to disable buttons. I bet a lot of folks wouldn't mind disable the buttons on one side since I keep hearing how easy it is to inadvertently turn a page.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I thought it was a button on the keyboard. I have one to add, though I don't even have mine yet:

The ability to disable buttons. I bet a lot of folks wouldn't mind disable the buttons on one side since I keep hearing how easy it is to inadvertently turn a page.
You, know, I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite do what I want. It will only search stuff that has been indexed. And forcing it to index stuff has to be done one item at a time.

But it comes close, so thanks again.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Hopefully Amazon has someone reading these boards like Sony does.

I, for one, don't want a clock. I can glance away at my watch if I need to know. I don't want to be reminded how much time I've spent reading!
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It will only search stuff that has been indexed. And forcing it to index stuff has to be done one item at a time.
I thought the indexing happened automatically, it did for me. Perhaps it's a background task that hasn't finished yet?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Well it does have a really cool lock mode. Not the same thing as disable, but if you push the "@" key and the "Aa" key, the screen shows a pic (from a series of very cool random pics) and you don't have to worry about anythnig being clicked. It's much faster than turning off and on and doesn't require any juice.

They call it "sleep" mode, but it's not like a computer going to sleep, it's more like a quick key lock or screen saver. Very fast and it's how I keep it on in between reading sessions (but not overnight).

But it would be neat to find a hack or someway to make this mode use user pics.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I thought the indexing happened automatically, it did for me. Perhaps it's a background task that hasn't finished yet?
Probably. I just loaded 400 books.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Oh I just thought of another one. Can't believe this slipped my mind. It's early and I'm still groggy from turkey I guess:

Mobipocket support please. I'd love to read library books! I understand supporting the PDF ones might be a bit much to ask. Maybe if they move to .epub.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Oh you haven't tried the search yet? It does exactly what you want.

Type in an author name and it will list every book written by that author in your kindle.

Type any word and it will show every reference to that word in your kindle. Click on a particular book and it will show you every use of that word in context (shows about a paragraph of text).

Also from there you can do a one click to get a definition of the word, and it is a very good, useful dictionary at that, with examples, etc.

And one click for wikipedia lookup of that word, search the web, even search the kindle store for that word.

It is amazing, and I thought I'd seen it all, with my iphone and wii and other gadgets.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
I'd like to see the home page cleaned up.

I'd like it to be organize and clean like the Kindle store is instead of just a list of all my content.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Well it does have a really cool lock mode. Not the same thing as disable, but if you push the "@" key and the "Aa" key, the screen shows a pic (from a series of very cool random pics) and you don't have to worry about anythnig being clicked. It's much faster than turning off and on and doesn't require any juice.

They call it "sleep" mode, but it's not like a computer going to sleep, it's more like a quick key lock or screen saver. Very fast and it's how I keep it on in between reading sessions (but not overnight).

But it would be neat to find a hack or someway to make this mode use user pics.
I was thinking more of being able to disable some buttons while you are reading. Like if you hold the Kindle with your left hand and keep accidentally turning pages with those buttons, you could turn them off and only use the right-side page buttons.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Better yet, just include a utility to 'remap' the buttons. Then I can disable the side ones I don't want and adjust the other ones as I please. Sure love to make the BACK button act as OK for the wheel (just try pressing the wheel when holding the kindle one-handed). And I'd love to DISABLE the right NEXT PAGE, just keeping the left side ones (or vice versa).
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote