Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post

Okay, I have a question... I don't have my tablet yet (Acer Iconia A500), but I'm hoping it'll arrive next week. I don't have another Android device, and I don't have a Google account. Is there any way I can purchase these 10 cent apps now and have them available for the A500? (Obviously, I'm an Android newbie!)
Yes. You need to create your Android Market account which is basically a Googlemail/gmail account. You will need to set up a payment option and you will be good to go. They stay on Google's servers for future downloading. When your Android device turns up, just use the same account on it to register it.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Buy on on the Android market website if it doesn't show up on your device at market.android.com.
I tried but my Market account makes me pick which device to send it to. Since both my devices are incompatible I can't go any further and haven't figured out how to get around it.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yep, bought Sketchbook Mobile from Autodesk and the fun Papercam thing.

what's the point of the Swiftkey thing when you got Swype?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
I tried but my Market account makes me pick which device to send it to. Since both my devices are incompatible I can't go any further and haven't figured out how to get around it.
you will have to change some entries in build.prop in the system folder for one of your devices
Remember to back up build.prop first in case something goes wrong

ro.product.device=GT-I9023
ro.build.product=GT-I9023
ro.product.model=GT-I9023

Change the entries to these then reboot your device it should work
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
[post deleted]

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
yep, bought Sketchbook Mobile from Autodesk and the fun Papercam thing.
what's the point of the Swiftkey thing when you got Swype?
I think swype is one of the best keyboards out there, but after a year of using it, swype has not gotten better. I've gravitated over to FlexT9 because it is better. On my nook I've been using SwiftKey tablet X because the keyboard is much bigger and swype is much slower (more area to cover).
I actually bought the SwiftKey for the phone and I must say it is really good the predictve text is amazing. It is hands down the best I've used.

The one thing swype has over SwiftKey is you can use one hand to type. Incidentally I made a typo on every word in that last sentence and it correctly corrected each word.... amazing.

Though for some reason the predictve text on the tablet us not as good. It must be a setting I chose.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Today didn't have a lot that I was interested in, but I did grab Beautiful Widgets.

I hope there's some other good ones later.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Only three interested me and I already own them courtesy Amazon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #24
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay, I set up a Gmail account. Using my computer, when I visit the Android Market page for the app I want, I can see that I'm signed in. When I press the Buy button, I get the message "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account."

As I said, I don't have an Android device yet. Is there anything else I can do at this point to obtain the 10-cent apps, or will I need to wait until my tablet arrives next week? The promo may be over by then.

Also, I'm not sure where I need to go to set up a payment option.

Thanks for your help!
Sadly No as far as I can tell. The payment option will probably come up when it allows you to buy Apps.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Sadly No as far as I can tell. The payment option will probably come up when it allows you to buy Apps.
Thanks. I haven't found a way to get Amazon's free app of the day without already having an Android device either. I guess I'll just have to wait until the tablet arrives. Oh well.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't found a way to get Amazon's free app of the day without already having an Android device either. I guess I'll just have to wait until the tablet arrives. Oh well.
You have my sympathy. There are some good Apps in Today's offering.

If it is any consolation, there are thousands of good, free Apps waiting for you.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Do you have an old Windows Mobile cellphone or the like floating around? Sometimes you can android up and running on old WinMo devices. My first "android" device was an HTC Touch Pro.

Also, you can install the Android Emulator, that should let you get a virtual android device up and running:

http://androidandme.com/2010/12/news...-the-emulator/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21862...roid-emulator/

Here's some newer (techy-er) guide on doing it with honeycomb:

http://ivansotof.com/2011/02/install...ycomb-emulator

http://www.everythingabouttablets.ne...roid-emulator/

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-08-2011 at 03:05 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Day 3 — Here are today's 10 cent apps at Android Market:

TETRIS ®
Blue Skies Live Wallpaper
Homerun Battle 3D
Reckless Getaway
Talking Tom Cat 2
Kids Learn to Read (Preschool)
ADWLauncher EX
Space Physics
Toki Tori
Can Knockdown 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
You have my sympathy. There are some good Apps in Today's offering.

If it is any consolation, there are thousands of good, free Apps waiting for you.
Thanks. It is a bit frustrating that I'm so close to getting my tablet but I may not be able to take advantage of this promotion. But yes, on the bright side, there are lots of free apps! I really wanted Beautiful Widgets and a few others, but it won't kill me to pay a few bucks for it if I can't get it for 10 cents. I don't even know which apps will work with my Acer Iconia A500 anyway, so maybe it's for the best that I can't buy before receiving the tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Do you have an old Windows Mobile cellphone or the like floating around?
Nope. I know this may be hard to believe, but I've never owned a cellphone, except for a pay-as-you-go Tracphone, which I used only a few times (the last time about five years ago!).

Quote:
Also, you can install the Android Emulator, that should let you get a virtual android device up and running:

http://androidandme.com/2010/12/news...-the-emulator/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21862...roid-emulator/

Here's some newer (techy-er) guide on doing it with honeycomb:

http://ivansotof.com/2011/02/install...ycomb-emulator

http://www.everythingabouttablets.ne...roid-emulator/
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 12-08-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
The European/AU/NZ version of Tetris, as the version listed above isn't available to us.

I'm really enjoying these sales, reminds me of Steam sales. I even bought some apps I had already obtained for free through Amazon, so that the developers get something for their efforts and so I don't have to rely on Amazon's slooooow updates. I just hope there's more utility/productivity apps over the next few days and less games.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #30
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
The European/AU/NZ version of Tetris, as the version listed above isn't available to us.

I'm really enjoying these sales, reminds me of Steam sales. I even bought some apps I had already obtained for free through Amazon, so that the developers get something for their efforts and so I don't have to rely on Amazon's slooooow updates. I just hope there's more utility/productivity apps over the next few days and less games.
install market enabler then you can spoof a US carrier and you can get all the apps even those that are not available in your country
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote