Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #46
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is nothing wrong with expanding through acquisition.
Try understanding what I said. It ain't hard. There is nothing wrong with IT giant buying other companies, in fact, it's very natural. What's wrong is an IT giant being a clueless beauty queen.

The "evil" part is a different story and has nothing to do with it.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #47
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Try understanding what I said. It ain't hard. There is nothing wrong with IT giant buying other companies, in fact, it's very natural. What's wrong is an IT giant being a clueless beauty queen.

The "evil" part is a different story and has nothing to do with it.
Wow... Kartu, did you get bitten by a nasty Apple when you were a baby... really worrying such vitriolic hatred for a "company," relax, ignore them, they could care less about you so don't raise your own blood pressure over them or any company...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #48
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Wow... Kartu, did you get bitten by a nasty Apple when you were a baby... really worrying such vitriolic hatred for a "company," relax, ignore them, they could care less about you so don't raise your own blood pressure over them or any company...
I'm rather calm, thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #49
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Bah, you just hate Apple irrationally, and apply a double standard so that anything Apple does is bad, but anything another company is good.

And of course you indulge in the Android-fanboy conceit that Apple's products are only bought by people who want to be "cool," and that their products are only pretty, but not functional.

Despite the fact that Apple's new phone roundly trounces all existing Android phones. Including by having a better screen than the cheap Amoled pentile screens on the SG II.

And it's just delusional to claim that somehow Apple buying Intrinsity is bad while Google buying Android is good.

And while people who hate Apple like to pretend that they are somehow above fanboyism, in fact there is a large cult of people who think that they are "cool" by hating Apple. And this group is *just as* irrational and cult-like as the worst Apple fanboy.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #50
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Bah, you just hate Apple irrationally, and apply a double standard so that anything Apple does is bad, but anything another company is good.

And of course you indulge in the Android-fanboy conceit that Apple's products are only bought by people who want to be "cool," and that their products are only pretty, but not functional.

Despite the fact that Apple's new phone roundly trounces all existing Android phones. Including by having a better screen than the cheap Amoled pentile screens on the SG II.

And it's just delusional to claim that somehow Apple buying Intrinsity is bad while Google buying Android is good.

And while people who hate Apple like to pretend that they are somehow above fanboyism, in fact there is a large cult of people who think that they are "cool" by hating Apple. And this group is *just as* irrational and cult-like as the worst Apple fanboy.
Well said.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #51
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Bah, you just hate Apple irrationally
I dislike mentioned company for a reason. Restricting user access to own files, dumping flash card slot to artificially split the market and reduce product's lifetime, exclusive app store, abusing legal system to bar competition to name a few.

Quote:
, and apply a double standard so that anything Apple does is bad, but anything another company is good.
If you don't get the difference between having to buy a company to do your core business (analogy would be Ford _having_ to buy company that produces motors, to build cars) and simply bigger company buying smaller ones, I really can't help.

Quote:
Not only, but mostly.
Apple sells fashion devices. That's something unique for a tech industry.

Quote:
Both statements are products of your or somebody else's imagination and have nothing to do with reality. AMOLED is anything but cheap, for starters.

Quote:
And this group is *just as* irrational and cult-like as the worst Apple fanboy.
No offence, but word "irrational" coming from you has a very special meaning.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #52
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't get this misconception of having restricted access to files. I have absolutely no problem accessing any file I want on my iPad or iPhone. So you'll have to explain that too me. Because I think people who make those statements obviously haven't used the device. I don't need an sd card slot, why would I? Easier to have the onboard storage than to have to fumble around with a bunch of cards. Especially when they are smaller than my fingernail. Plus I can access my NAS just fine, or my laptop, to view any type of file I want. Yes, I really can do it.... Omgwtfbbq.

AppStore? So what. No different than amazon, B&N, etc. I like the AppStore ecosystem just as much as I like the amazon ecosystem. I can't wait to get my fire next week & have all of my amazon stuff in one place. I don't have to have my credit card in a hundred different appstores because I get an app here or an app there. Plus I have the safety & security & quality control of someone reviewing apps, such as amazon or apple. Sure maybe the reject an app every once in a while, so what. No different than best buy or wal-mart not carrying a specific product.

Fashion device? Lol. Have you seen the recent android phones with their fancy & sexy curves? Beautiful devices, & the iPhone could be considered plain jane next to them. I don't walk around with my iPhone or any other device flaunting it just because it's made by apple. There is a sense of pride that a lot of people have when owning an iDevice. So what's wrong with that. I'm just as proud of having my kindle or my kindle fire (an android device omgetfbbq!!!!) soon. This is a purely subjective anyway. So it's irrelevant to the function of an iOS device or apple itself.

I'd agree that android users are very cult-like. They diminish a user base or a specific product with no basis in fact. The biggest reasons I've addressed above. Those are the most common misconceptions I ever hear out of them.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 11-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #53
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
What i have never understood is a large number of android fans like to talk about apple products as a fashion device or complain about the lac of ports on apple devices and the need for adapter.

yet the most popular of android devices tries as best as it can to look like an apple device and also has little to no ports and require an adapter.
Dont get me wrong i like both my android and apple devices but you cant use these arguments then buy an apple look alike device with a different opperating system and say its ok.

i just dont understand the irrational hatred for things apple does yet its ok for other manufacturers to emulate it <shrugs>

Last edited by covfam; 11-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #54
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I do understand what you say: "Apple bad, Google good."
You keep trying to justify it on some sort of objective grounds though, rather than just an emotional gut reaction, which is what it is.
If there is nothing wrong with Apple buying a chip company, why did you say that there was?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I do understand what you say: "Apple bad, Google good."
You keep trying to justify it on some sort of objective grounds though, rather than just an emotional gut reaction, which is what it is.
If there is nothing wrong with Apple buying a chip company, why did you say that there was?
They're both corporations. They're both bad. Same with Microsoft, Intel, Facebook, etc.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #56
monkeyluis
Banned

So a little bit ago I watched an MKV file on my tv. I streamed it from my NAS, to my iPad to my apple tv. Hmmmmm, that was easy. Not restrictive at all. I can access any file that way too. I have another app to browse all my files and access them if I wanted too. & I don't have anything jailbroken. All stock software, using one app called stream to me. Pretty cool. & I think that's 'nuff said. Notice I didn't say anything about other devices, I know other devices can do this, I'm just abolishing this restrictive misconception.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #57
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

If you don't get the difference between having to buy a company to do your core business (analogy would be Ford _having_ to buy company that produces motors, to build cars) and simply bigger company buying smaller ones, I really can't help.
It's a distinction that you have made up to criticize Apple. There's no difference between Google buying Android or Apple buying Intrinsity. And of course a lot of phones and tablets just buy chips off the shelf - the Asus Transformer Prime (like a lot of tablets) uses a chip designed by Nvidia.

Quote:

Apple sells fashion devices.
Oh nonsense - this is just part of a narrative in which you validate your own personal preferences. According to this narrative, people who buy Apple products are "cool" and are buying "fashion accessories." In other words, you are trying to suggest that they don't know anything about their products, and are basically stupid and shallow.

But you, on the other hand, are intelligent. You *understand* tech. You are an independent thinker who knows what's what.

Or at least that's how this narrative works.

But that's a bunch of garbage - it's just as trendy and shallow to jump on the anti-Apple bandwagon as to do the opposite. And reality seems to distort just as easily.

Quote:
AMOLED is anything but cheap, for starters.
Okay, inferior then. But expensive.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #58
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I don't need an sd card slot, why would I? Easier to have the onboard storage than to have to fumble around with a bunch of cards. Especially when they are smaller than my fingernail.
Why would you need to fumble around with an SD card? You only need to take it out of the device if you are replacing it with a bigger one.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #59
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Why would you need to fumble around with an SD card? You only need to take it out of the device if you are replacing it with a bigger one.
Exactly. So if I have onboard storage, what's the point of an SD card?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #60
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Exactly. So if I have onboard storage, what's the point of an SD card?
I would agree with that statement if they gave me 128 GB onboard.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote