Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
He's a surefire author for me as well. Call me a fanboy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
He's a surefire author for me as well. Call me a fanboy.

Same here. I am yet to read a book penned by him that disappoints.
I've read Anathem twice already, and I don't re-read books as a rule. Pure genius.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Me too, I really enjoy his books.
Will be waiting till its available in ebook format on Amazon UK, unless I save up enough for an audio copy first...
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaza View Post
I'm not worried. He's a techie, writes for Wired and other publications. Anything he does he generally hits the nail on the head, even esoteric stuff a la Cryptonomicon.
I haven't read any of his fiction, but his (book length) essay "In the Beginning ... Was the Command Line" is well written. It gets a lot of the details wrong, but the general thrust is very good.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I'll be interested in reading the reviews - I've read everything Stephenson has written from "The Big U" to "Cryptonomicon" and "Anathem," but I really found the Baroque cycle to be not very good.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H.
I've read everything Stephenson has written from "The Big U" to "Cryptonomicon" and "Anathem," but I really found the Baroque cycle to be not very good.
Hmm. I have almost the exact opposite opinion. I've read them all as well, and consider the Baroque Cycle some of his finest writing... though I've enjoyed them all for different reasons. Zodiac would be at the bottom of my list (though it still didn't suck, in my opinion). Different strokes I guess.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-03-2011 at 07:04 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #22
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hmm. I have almost the exact opposite opinion. I've read them all as well, and consider the Baroque Cycle his some of his finest writing... though I've enjoyed them all for different reasons. Zodiac would be at the bottom of my list (though it still didn't suck, in my opinion). Different strokes I guess.
I agree with you re Zodiac. This discussion has actually prompted me to re-read Baroque Cycle. I really enjoy his writing ...
My personal favourite is a tie between The Diamond Age and Anathem.
I'm also subscribed to the Mongoliad project (http://mongoliad.com), where Neal is participating. I haven't started reading it you, I don't like chapter-by-chapter release cycle, so I'm waiting for a whole bunch to be done before starting.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I didn't find The Diamond Age as strong as Snow Crash personally, but my favourite so far has been Cryptonomicon. I haven't read Anathem yet though which I understand is fantastic.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
E-dream, because it will be the first electronic book to be better designed and easier and more fun to read than its printed counterpart.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Anathem for me. I thought it was the best book I read that year, let alone of Stephenson's.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
E-dream, because it will be the first electronic book to be better designed and easier and more fun to read than its printed counterpart.
My mind has been blown.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Anathem for me. I thought it was the best book I read that year, let alone of Stephenson's.

Graham
I loved Zodiac, Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon. I didn't read the Baroque cycle "yet" but it's in my TBR pile.

I did read Anathem and found it incredibly flat. I thought it started strong, but it crashed much earlier than most of his books.

I hate his endings. He creates engaging characters and his world-building is great for the futuristic books. But, man, his ending stink (IMO).

He lost me when the alternative travellers show up (to avoid being too spoilerish).
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Either that or he meant to spell reamed, for the folks who pay hardcover prices, lol.
Hee-Hee.

I've tried to read his recent works and always quit after a couple of chapters. Just doesn't connect with me. I do still want to go back and try Snow Crash though.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-06-2011 at 11:40 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Interesting how we all feel differently about particular books even if we enjoy the same author!

The Diamond Age felt jumbled and slightly confusing to me while Half-Cocked Jack from the Baroque cycle is easily my favorite literature character (so I did love that series). Snow Crash was close to mind-blowing at the time. Anathem was very strong in every way, as was Cryptonomicon to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Loved Snow Crash, enjoyed The Diamond Age probably better than it deserved, liked Cryptonomicon, but absolutely HATED the Baroque Cycle. Like Stephen King's Dark Tower series, it was an enjoyable read that was absolutely ruined by a lazy, weak ending.

I started Anathem, but one thing that really annoys me is making up words for no good reason, so I didn't even make it through the first chapter.

I'll probably wait to see what the buzz is before I decide whether to read this one. NS books take too much time investment to waste on something as lame as the Baroque Cycle was. That's three weeks of my life I'll never get back.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote