Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
qprfan99
Enthusiast
qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Moving library to new laptop

Hi guys

My Calibre library is on an external HDD & was working quite well on my old P/C. I've now got a new laptop & when I plug in the external drive to it the Calibre library doesn't appear.

Any ideas?

Regards
Larry Halpin
qprfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprfan99 View Post
My Calibre library is on an external HDD & was working quite well on my old P/C. I've now got a new laptop & when I plug in the external drive to it the Calibre library doesn't appear.

Any ideas?
Your external drive probably has a different drive letter on the new laptop.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
qprfan99
Enthusiast
qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Your external drive probably has a different drive letter on the new laptop.
But it should still show up as a directory on the HDD, surely?

Larry
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Your user id on new laptop probably doesn't have permission to see the folders.

A user 'blatherskate' on machine 1 is very different from a user 'blatherskate' on machine 2. If the permissions were not 'public' on the old laptop, the user on the new one won't see the files even if the user names are the same.

To fix this, either:
- connect the drive to the old laptop and change the security so that 'everyone' has access.
- connect the drive to the new laptop, become administrator, and set the security so that the new laptop's user has all privileges.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
qprfan99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Your user id on new laptop probably doesn't have permission to see the folders.

A user 'blatherskate' on machine 1 is very different from a user 'blatherskate' on machine 2. If the permissions were not 'public' on the old laptop, the user on the new one won't see the files even if the user names are the same.

To fix this, either:
- connect the drive to the old laptop and change the security so that 'everyone' has access.
- connect the drive to the new laptop, become administrator, and set the security so that the new laptop's user has all privileges.

Thanks for the try but no luck.
Everybody had permission on the old PC & I have Administrator's rights on the new one.
Could the fact that the new laptop is running Windows 7 & the old PC was running XP, have anything to do with it?

Regards
Larry
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What does appear on the HDD? I assume that you can see something if you try and access it using Windows Explorer?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
qprfan99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What does appear on the HDD? I assume that you can see something if you try and access it using Windows Explorer?
I can see all other directories. Everything except the Calibre one.

Larry
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
If the folder does not show up in Windows Explorer then there is little chance of Calibre being able to handle it!

I wonder if the directory has had the "hidden2 attribute set? You might want to make sure that you have Windows Explorer set so that it can show hidden folders/files.

If neither of the above work then one has to wonder if the folder has not been deleted.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Larry
There are different kinds of Permission tick boxes
Read only, Hidden.

then there are compressed folders (not a good idea for frequently accessed large files and databases)

You might review this M$ document on file 'ownership'

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
qprfan99
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I'll try all those ideas.

The file definitely hasn't been deleted as I can see it & access it when I plug the HDD back in to the old PC.

Windows 7 is still a learning curve for me - I have to find out how to adjust file attributes

Kind regards
Larry
Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
qprfan99
Enthusiast

Gents

Your blood's worth bottling!

It was the Hidden files thingy that did it! Saved me from killing myself at the thought of entering those 5,000 books again!

Thanks very much
Larry