Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
teufelsohn
teufelsohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Question Kindle 3G Outside US can I browse web sites?

First of all, hello everyone! I just registered here.

I´m the happy owner of a Kindle 3 Wifi and I´m thinking of getting a second one (for my girlfriend... I cannot fight over "who´s reading now anymore").

My question is, is it worth to spend the extra bucks and get the 3G? Will I be able to browse the web freely or is it just for the Kindle Store? Please share your experience wherever you are (btw, I´m from Argentina).

Thank you very much!
teufelsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll need to ask Amazon whether or not unrestricted web browsing is available in Argentina. It varies between countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It works fine in Australia, but not in several European countries. As Harry said, check with Amazon. However, depending on the service in Argentina, even if Amazon says it will work in Argentina, you are also dependent on local area availability of the actual signal.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
teufelsohn

Ok! Thanks Harry and Pushka. I´ll write an email to Amazon.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
I think the countries depend on whether or not AT&T allows them on the Kindle. AT&T supplies the 3G if I am not mistaken.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I think the countries depend on whether or not AT&T allows them on the Kindle. AT&T supplies the 3G if I am not mistaken.
B006 has an AT&T SIM.
B00A has a Vodafone SIM.

The determining factor for whether you get free web access is Amazon. If they have a deal with a local carrier then they'll offer web access that isn't just restricted to the Kindle store and Wikipedia.

If they don't have a deal then it may cost them too much to give you free web and you may also get charged $2 for downloads even for free books. Generally the Kindle still works though and will roam onto another network for access to the Kindle store and Wikipedia.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
teufelsohn

Thank you very much eddiek and Tiersten.

I wrote to Amazon and got an answer almost inmediatly (which is good) but they actually didn´t answer my question (which is bad). It was simple: CAN I BROWSE INTERNET FREELY WITH YOUR 3G IN ARGENTINA?

Answer:
Hello,

I'd love to help you, Internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet is not available in most countries outside the United States when using your Kindle's 3G connection, however most customers can access Wikipedia. These restrictions do not apply when accessing the Web Browser over a Wi-Fi connection.

You'll find helpful information on our Using Kindle If You Live Outside the United States Help page (http://www.amazon.com/kindleinternationalsupport).

I hope this information helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

So what they did is tell me to look in the FAQ! %$@#!!! I guess I´m going to press NO YOU DIDN´T SOLVE MY PROBLEM. Off course I checked the links and no one talks of Argentina there.

I contacted a guy who owns a Kindle 3G here and he told me he´s got free access (which is great). I guess I´m gonna go with Kindle 3G then.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teufelsohn View Post
You'll find helpful information on our Using Kindle If You Live Outside the United States Help page (http://www.amazon.com/kindleinternationalsupport).
Part of that page says "Please see the product detail page for Kindle to check on wireless availability in your country. If 3G is not available in your location, you can use Wi-Fi."

Going to the Kindle page http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ there's a box "Live Outside the U.S.?
To ship Kindle outside the U.S., view information specific to your country." Clicking that link brings up a pop-up window with a list of countries.

Selecting Argentina in that list of countries brings up the following info:

Argentina
To ship a Kindle to Argentina you must purchase a Kindle from this separate page.
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Argentina. Customers in Argentina will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute.

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery in or outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Not as obvious as it should be, but it it there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
teufelsohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Part of that page says "Please see the product detail page for Kindle to check on wireless availability in your country. If 3G is not available in your location, you can use Wi-Fi."

Going to the Kindle page http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ there's a box "Live Outside the U.S.?
To ship Kindle outside the U.S., view information specific to your country." Clicking that link brings up a pop-up window with a list of countries.

Selecting Argentina in that list of countries brings up the following info:

Argentina
To ship a Kindle to Argentina you must purchase a Kindle from this separate page.
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Argentina. Customers in Argentina will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute.

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery in or outside your home country. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Not as obvious as it should be, but it it there.

Thank you! You gave me the answer they should have given me.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
negiarcian
negiarcian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Free 3G to download books doesn't mean that you get Free 3G web access.

But Argentina is on this list http://amzn.to/uk-3gwebwhere so you should be good.
negiarcian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browsing, internet, kindle 3g, web