Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #9736
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
This afternoon I noticed one of the girls in our department going to another department to fax some stuff. We have a fax machine in our office, so I asked her why she was going all the way out to this department to fax stuff. It turns out that the fax machine in our office is too high for her to reach. --- We moved the fax machine for her.
I've just spent several months helping my sisters-in-law get their new house refurbished. This has meant lots of time telling 6 foot tall workmen "No, it needs to be lower. Don't forget that they owners are ten inches shorter than you are!"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #9737
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
37.7 ft.

Edit: explanation:
Feet travel 2*pi*r (r=earth radius)
Head travel 2*pi*(r+6ft)
Difference is 2*pi*6ft

Edit 2:
I think we had this question just a while ago. I think it was the Grand Mouse that came up with the solution in this post
Correct!

Yes, it's similar to a previous question which I had hoped would enable someone to answer this one more easily.

Your turn for the next one.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #9738
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
As some may gather from my screen name, I am quite fond of comics and cartoons. In my opinion, comics are both litterature and wonderful pieces of art, and quite worthy to be discussed here. So this question will be devoted to comics, mostly of the classical european tradition since that's my speciality, but some american comics and comics creators are also here. Some questions are hard, some are easy.

One point for each correct answer. Where I ask what comics a person has created, you get one point for each comic. "Create" in this case does not neccessarily mean "invented", but only that the artist worked with this comic in one way or another.
  1. What artist used the pseudonym "Moebius"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  2. What comic artist is behind the pseudonym RobVel? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  3. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Peyo"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  4. What famous comic was drawn by Hal Foster? What other comic(s) did he create?
  5. What artist used the pseudonym "Jijé"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  6. What comic artist used the pen name "Hergé"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  7. What comic(s) were created by Hugo Pratt?
  8. Comic artists drawing Donald Duck are not allowed to sign their comics in any way. Yet, one artist does sign most of his series "D.U.C.K". What artist and what does the letters mean?
  9. What famous american comic artist signed some of his series "Addison"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  10. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Jack Kirby"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  11. What comic artist is known throughout Europe as "Morris"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  12. Who created "Calvin and Hobbes"?
  13. Who created the comic "Pogo"?
  14. Who created the comic "Crazy Cat"?
  15. Who created the comic "Peanuts"?
  16. What is the name of this comic character? The name is the same in the english and the original french edition. What artist created this character? What comic(s) did this artist create?

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-19-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #9739
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
OH! I know two of those.

12. Who created "Calvin and Hobbes"? Bill Watterson - my son loved Calvin and Hobbes and collected the books

13. Who created the comic "Peanuts"? Charles Schultz - probably an American tradition and those cute holiday specials for Christmas (A Charlie Brown Christmas) and Halloween (It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown).

Last edited by dreams; 10-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #9740
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
6. Hergé created Tintin, I think. I don't know his real name, though
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #9741
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
4. Prince Valiant? Don't know of any others.
13. Walt Kelly?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #9742
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I believe Morris was responsible for Asterix.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #9743
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
OH! I know two of those.

12. Who created "Calvin and Hobbes"? Bill Watterson - my son loved Calvin and Hobbes and collected the books
Quite right
Bill Watterson wrote and drew the wonderful life of a maybe-a-little-too-imaginative boy and his fiery stuffed tiger and their adventures from 1985 to 1995. I love them - and miss them - too. Watterson now lives a very quiet life withdrawn from his audience. Calvin and Hobbes are, so far, his only comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
13. Who created the comic "Peanuts"? Charles Schultz - probably an American tradition and those cute holiday specials for Christmas (A Charlie Brown Christmas) and Halloween (It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown).
Indeed he did - Charles Monroe Schultz created Peanuts in 1950. The strip ran for half a century until Schultz died in 2000. Schultz has created one comic besides Peanuts. This strip ran from 1947 to 1950, In this strip we find a certain Charlie Brown, a very Snoopy-like dog, and it is accepted that this was Shultz' blueprint for Peanuts. Bonus points to whoever can name this strip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
4. Prince Valiant? Don't know of any others.
Harold Foster did draw the marvelous comic of Prince Valiant from 1937 to 1975, an american masterpiece. He continued to write the manuscripts until 1980. He died in 1982. Although Prince Valiant is considered his best work, he created one other comic prior to Prince Valiant. Bonus points to whoever can name that strip.
The Prince Valiant comic is now being re-issued by Fantagraphics based on the syndicate coloring proofs, preserved by Foster himself. Prince Valiant has never looked better than in this new edition, but the comic is stunning, even in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
13. Walt Kelly?
Spot on. Walt Kelly worked both for Disney studios and Dell Comics creating comics and cartoons on contract before drawing Pogo. Pogo is, to my knowledge, his only comic created by himself. After his death in 1973, his widow continued the Pogo comic

All the above have been rewarded with the Reuben award, the comic version of Oscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
6. Hergé created Tintin, I think. I don't know his real name, though
Hergé created Tintin, entirely correct. A very popular comic he wrote alongside at least two less-known comics. Bonus points to whoever can name these comics and Hergés real name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe Morris was responsible for Asterix.
Asterix was written by René Goscinny and drawn by Albert Uderzo. Morris had nothing to do with Asterix, but Goscinny wrote manuscripts for Morris from 1952 and to his death in 1977, which gives Morris' comic a tone and humour quite similar to Asterix.

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #9744
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've 'heard' of three of these, no idea of the answers though...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #9745
Iznogood
Guru

One point for each correct answer. Where I ask what comics a person has created, you get one point for each comic. "Create" in this case does not neccessarily mean "invented", but only that the artist worked with this comic in one way or another.
  1. What artist used the pseudonym "Moebius"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
    Mœbius' full name is Jean Henri Gaston Giraud, short Jean Giraud. He also signed some comics as "Gir" - orlok 1 point
  2. What comic artist is behind the pseudonym RobVel? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  3. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Peyo"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  4. What famous comic was drawn by Hal Foster? What other comic(s) did he create?
    Hal Foster created Prince Valiant - Bookpossum 1 point
  5. What artist used the pseudonym "Jijé"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  6. What comic artist used the pen name "Hergé"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
    The full name of Hergé is Georges Prosper Remi - pdurrant 1 point, orlok 1 point
    He created Tintin - Shayne Parkinson 1 point
  7. What comic(s) were created by Hugo Pratt?
  8. Comic artists drawing Donald Duck are not allowed to sign their comics in any way. Yet, one artist does sign most of his series "D.U.C.K". What artist and what does the letters mean?
  9. What famous american comic artist signed some of his series "Addison"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
  10. What comic artist used the pseudonym "Jack Kirby"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
    He wrote The Fantastic Four and Captain America for Marvel - orlok 2 points
  11. What comic artist is known throughout Europe as "Morris"? What comic(s) did this artist create?
    Morris created the comic Lucky Luke - Kumabjorn 1 point
  12. Who created "Calvin and Hobbes"?
    Bill Watterson - Dreams 1 point
  13. Who created the comic "Pogo"?
    Walt Kelly - Bookpossum 1 point
  14. Who created the comic "Crazy Cat"?
  15. Who created the comic "Peanuts"?
    Charles M. Schultz - Dreams 1 point
  16. What is the name of this comic character? The name is the same in the english and the original french edition. What artist created this character? What comic(s) did this artist create?

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #9746
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've 'heard' of three of these, no idea of the answers though...

Stitchawl
Which three?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #9747
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh Goscinny gave it away. Morris is of course famous for Lucky Luke.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #9748
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahh Goscinny gave it away. Morris is of course famous for Lucky Luke.
Morris did indeed create Lucky Luke, the cowboy who shoots faster than his own shadow, in 1946. At that time, Luke looked like this:

Not what we're used to, but he soon evolved into the well-known Luke we know today.

Goscinny wrote manuscripts for Lucky Luke from 1952 to 1977, an created most of the wonderful characters we love/hate and adore: The Daltons,

Ma Dalton, Calamity Jane, and of course the dog Rantanplan, the stupidest dog in the West - stupider than his own shadow.

Rantanplan is a parody of another dog. Do you know what dog that is?

And by the way: How did the name Goscinny give the solution away?

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-20-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #9749
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I knew that Goscinny worked with others and he did Asterix and Lucky Luke, since Asterix was wrong...

Being french speaking, he was Belgian I believe, Rantanplan sound like it would be a take on Rintintin. But that is just a guess.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #9750
Iznogood
Guru

Ah, I shouldn't have mentioned Goscinny then. He did much more than "just" Lucky Luke and Asterix, but he's best known for those.

And yes, Rantanplan is a parody of Rintintin, a dog so clever that he can count the shots from a revolver, know when the gun is empty and it is safe to attack the villain. Rantanplan is the opposite - incredible stupid, but adorable nonetheless