Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
ShowTime25
ShowTime25 began at the beginning.

Device: Torn between PRS-650 and PRS-950
Question Sony PRS-950 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday

I've been thinking about buying e-reader since June. I've almost bought PRS-600 in August ... and was considering PRS-650 in October ... I've missed B&H Photo deal by half an hour last week ... So, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

What is the best deal for Sony PRS-950 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
ShowTime25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am also looking. As far as I can tell, the best deal is one already going on at the sonystyle store - $249, so $50 off. It's also at other places but seems to be sold out everywhere the deal is going on, except the sonystyle store.

I don't think any big retailers are including the 950 in their sales, but we may get lucky and see some good random online site sales - at least, I hope! I really want one for about $199 now that I know others got it that cheap! (even though it was a fluke, it was still honoured)

ETA - I do not know how long the $249 sale will last at sonystyle....does anyone?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, sun surfer! I was going to recommend to you to jump over here to Sony forum to read some of the posts on discounts. The $50 discount is good through Nov 27th. There is also a trade-in deal that Sony has now. Up to $75 depending on the condition of your ereader. It seems to be applicable to other ereaders and not just Sony models. People have been able to combine the trade-in discount with the $50 sale to get a really good price. But, if you want to keep your Nook while you "test" your Sony purchase, then it might not be a good idea for you. Just something else to consider in your research.

If you go to this link, the Sony website has info on the $50 discount and the trade-in program. Click on Reader Digital Book in the left column.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...S_Weekly_Deals

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-20-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
ShowTime25

I would think that $249 sale is going to be renewed over and over again. I'm hopping to find an additional discount (like PayPal 20% couple years ago or Bing discount last year)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
ShowTime25

$50 off and trade-in discount is great! However, I don't have anything to trade-in.
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Bookworm_Girl! Thanks for the info and yes, the catch is I want to keep my nook until I'm sure I prefer the Sony.

Showtime25, it makes me nervous that they might not keep the $249 deal going after the 27th. I'm not sure, but I may jump in and buy it for that price if nothing better comes along before the 27th. Though if I have good reason to believe I may get a better deal within the next few weeks, I may wait.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I just got the 950 for 249 at the Best Buy closest to me (DeKalb). I would have done the 75 dollar trade in, but the nearest Sony Style store to me is wayyyy off the other side of Chicago, and I don't have the patience to send mine in, wait for the voucher, and then get a new one, not to mention the sale would have been over by then, and I'd have spent probably 40 bucks in gas getting to the Sony Store.

Sooo... I went ahead. LOVE the features compared to the 600, and the screen is awesome. My new baby is charging now...

Bookworm_Girl, do you know if I can just put the already loaded (with calibre) SD card I was using with the 600 in and the 950 will pick it up? Or am I going to have to wipe the card and reload all the books using calibre?

Never mind... I put it in, and not only did the 950 pick it up and load it perfectly, it even kept the place in the book I was reading on the 600!!

Last edited by phenomshel; 11-20-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: adding information
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

phenomshel, it's a good thing you didn't make a trip to the physical sonystyle store. There is one not too far from me (though I've never been) and I called to check prices. After first telling me the 950 was $399 (lol), the employee doublechecked and told me it was $299. I informed her of the online $249 deal and she didn't seem interested to hear about it or to care in the least. She just let me know it's $299 there, and that that was that. Sigh, I will miss the excellent customer service at B&N.

Anyway, you may have gotten the $75 dollars at the physical store, but you would've lost out on the $50 off.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I just got the 950 for 249 at the Best Buy closest to me (DeKalb). I would have done the 75 dollar trade in, but the nearest Sony Style store to me is wayyyy off the other side of Chicago, and I don't have the patience to send mine in, wait for the voucher, and then get a new one, not to mention the sale would have been over by then, and I'd have spent probably 40 bucks in gas getting to the Sony Store.

Sooo... I went ahead. LOVE the features compared to the 600, and the screen is awesome. My new baby is charging now...

Bookworm_Girl, do you know if I can just put the already loaded (with calibre) SD card I was using with the 600 in and the 950 will pick it up? Or am I going to have to wipe the card and reload all the books using calibre?

Never mind... I put it in, and not only did the 950 pick it up and load it perfectly, it even kept the place in the book I was reading on the 600!!
Phenomshel, Congrats on your new 950. Glad you love it!

As long as your ereaders are authorized to the same accounts for DRM-protection, you can swap memory cards. If you have lots of books on the card, then sometimes it can take awhile to load and index on the new ereader (especially on older models like my 505).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I just got the 950 for 249 at the Best Buy closest to me (DeKalb). I would have done the 75 dollar trade in, but the nearest Sony Style store to me is wayyyy off the other side of Chicago...
Me too, I just picked up a 950 from Best Buy in Arlington, TX for $249 about an hour ago. They had 2 or 3 left after I got mine. Like you, we have no SonyStyle stores nearby. I would have to drive through horrible traffic for 45 miles to get to it, so I never go there.

Mine is charging now. I had a 900 so I know what to expect. I wouldn't have bought it at $299, but $249 seems like a good deal.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't have bought it at $299, but $249 seems like a good deal.
Yes, that price point should be permanent.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I just reorganized my Sony collection. I returned the 650 and cover to Borders. That put me up $250. I gave my daughter my 900 and took back the 600 I had given her as a gift. Then I took the 600 to the Sony Store here in Vegas. They gave me the $75 trade in with the $249 sales price.

Bottom line. My daughter got a 900, I got $250 back from Borders and paid $198 to Sony to get a Silver 950. I am a happy shopper!!!

Not question, the 950 is a sweet machine.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Then I took the 600 to the Sony Store here in Vegas. They gave me the $75 trade in with the $249 sales price.
So wait, you got the 950 for $249 at a physical sonystyle store?

If I'm going to get one, I'd rather get it at the physical sonystyle store if it's as cheap there, so I can have it immediately.

However, as I said in my post above, they told me over the phone that it was $299 in store, and she was rude about it when I pressed the matter. It makes me now rather just get it online if I'm going to get it for $249, so as not to have to deal with employees like that.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The Sony store in Vegas had a printed sign up near the Readers. $249 for the 950. I had to pay Sales tax though. That's what brought the price back up since they charged tax on the $249 price rather than the net $174 price.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down 950 won't connect to PC but my 350 will

I think my 950 from Best Buy is going back. My computer recognizes my 350 but it cannot recognize my 950. Used the useless Sony Chat Support and they said to take it back to BB or send it in to Sony for repair. They didn't give me the kind of options you get if you buy directly from Sony. Rather pissed right now. Damn Sony needs to get their act together and start treating customers better.

Tags
950, black friday, deal, prs-950, sony