Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
JoeH
JoeH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 and PRS-600
Cannot load BBeB files?

Just received my new PRS-600 yesterday, and its great! (Haven't yet decided whether to keep my old PRS-500 or turn it in for a $75 rebate).

While attempting to transfer my large store of books on the Sont eLibrary from the 500 to the 600, I discovered the PRS-600 would not accept BBEB files (it accepted everything else w/o a problem). When I tried to upload DRM BBEB files to the reader, the Sony eLibrary software instead took me to its eStore where it allowed me to download the same books in ePub format, which then loaded w/o a problem. BBeB files w/o DRM simply wouldn't load.

Did Sony suddenly drop support for BBeB files it its new readers? Or am I simply missing something? ePub, rtf, and pdf files all loaded fine; the PRS-600 is otherwise a great machine.

I can always get my BBeB files converted to ePub using third party software, but would hate to do that if I simply missed something when authorizing my new reader.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 600 handles LRF/LRX files just fine. I don't know what you were doing wrong!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I am reading a DRM BBeB file on my 600 right now. I have read DRM-free BBeB not too long ago so I know they are still supported.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Maybe the new sony software doesn't handle bbeb files any more? I wouldn't know since I rarely use it. However I have loaded lots of drm-free lrf files through calibre and they work great on my 600.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Maybe the new sony software doesn't handle bbeb files any more? I wouldn't know since I rarely use it. However I have loaded lots of drm-free lrf files through calibre and they work great on my 600.

I know both the Sony Library App and the 505 firmware handle lrf/lrx files because I have them in both places (as well as the epub equivalents).

could it be that the extension is literally bbeb instead of lrf/x? I've never seen a bbeb file extension.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
JoeH

Cannot read BBeB files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

could it be that the extension is literally bbeb instead of lrf/x? I've never seen a bbeb file extension.
No, the file extensions are all .lrf's. They had worked fine on the PRS-500.

It was an unexpected glitch on an otherwise smooth installation. Got me to wondering whether since Sony is abandoning BBeB files on their store, whether they might be abandoning it on new shipments of their reader as well. Not much need for continuing with BBeB, except for compatibility with older books not sold at the Sony store
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very weird. Can you read them in the Sony Library Application okay?
and these are lrf - i.e. non-drm eh?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
BBeB files fail on PRS 900 as well

All my BBeB files also failed when I registered my PRS 900 at the Sony Store. I received a specific message on the registration that all BBeB files MUST be deleted to continue.

I had to download the ePub equivalents.

Then, when I synced my 505 and 900, all BBeB files disappeared and only the new ePub and PDF files remained.

It may be that the Sony Store registration disables the BBeB files.

If you have an already registered Sony eReader, it is probably not affected.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
All my BBeB files also failed when I registered my PRS 900 at the Sony Store. I received a specific message on the registration that all BBeB files MUST be deleted to continue.

Then, when I synced my 505 and 900, all BBeB files disappeared and only the new ePub and PDF files remained.

and mine is a 505 that was registered before the move to epub. I've never gotten any error messages like that here.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

If you're talking about LRX files on their server - they don't exist anymore.

If you're talking about LRX files on one's computer...well, my experience with my 505 is that I can load both ePub and LRX files onto it (in addition, of course, to the non-DRM'd LRF files).

I'll be picking up a 600 tomorrow, and I am hoping I'll be able to load LRX/LRF/ePub files onto it in the same way my 505 does.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a 505 but have not tried to put any BBeB files onto it after the software upgrade to 3.1. I did notice that there are now two directories for the library after the upgrade. I can't remember their names off hand but one directory had all my old BBeB files and the other one had the new Epub files after I redownloaded them. When I open up the 3.1 software, I now have two versions of each book, one in the BBeB file type and the other in the Epub file type.

Again, haven't tried moving the BBeB file types to my reader yet but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

If I recall correctly, the 900 doesn't support LRF files? Is that correct?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
As far as I know the 900 does not support lrf files, but the 600 definitely does.
Kenny, do you have the latest update of the sony software? It seems they want to force people away from lrf...
Dragging and dropping lrf files on the 600 or loading them through calibre should work though, even if the sony software doesn't seem to like it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I have a 505 but have not tried to put any BBeB files onto it after the software upgrade to 3.1. I did notice that there are now two directories for the library after the upgrade. I can't remember their names off hand but one directory had all my old BBeB files and the other one had the new Epub files after I redownloaded them. When I open up the 3.1 software, I now have two versions of each book, one in the BBeB file type and the other in the Epub file type.

Again, haven't tried moving the BBeB file types to my reader yet but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

If I recall correctly, the 900 doesn't support LRF files? Is that correct?
That's right: Two directories on one's computer. One folder containes ePubs and the other folder the LRX files.

The ePub Folder was automatically created when I downloaded the ePub - the same title I already had as an LRX.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
JoeH

Here's what Sony's Reader Library's error message says:

When attempting to transfer a DRM BBeB book to the PRS-600 reader, the following error message is displayed:

"This ebook cannot be transferred to this device. Please Click OK to learn more".

Clicking OK brings you the Sony estore, which displays the following:

"Welcome to Migration

"To help stop the confusion among all the digital book formats, we have converted our eBook store to the industry-standard ePUB format. By adopting an open standard, our eBook store is compatible with multiple devices and our Readers can access multiple sources for content.

"You can download the book that you want to transfer or read with ePUB format. Please click on "Proceed", then find an item you want to download and click on "Download Now".

"Otherwise, you can also download all books purchased previously at once. Please click on "Proceed", then check "Check All" and click on "Download All Checked"."

Clicking "Proceed" brings you to a list of previously purchased BBeB books, which allows you to download their ePub equivalent at no charge. Those all are easily uploaded into the PRS-600.

(Of course, the one book I'm still reading isn't available yet in ePub format)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just copy it to the Reader with Windows Explorer. Should work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbeb, prs-600