Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #16
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

It's hard to forget about the neighbors so close who seem to have access to most everything in the U.S. except things like this.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahm
There's a very simple answer for that one. Sony wants to tie the reader to their online store (Kind of like Apple iTunes/iPod). They only have negotiated rights to sell eBooks from their store for the USA. Since they're only allowed to sell books in the USA, and they don't want to sell readers to anyone who can't buy their books, they therefore don't sell the reader in other markets.

Simple, right?

grumblegrumblemoancomplainFrickenSonygrumblegrumbl egrumble <- I live in Canada
Nice to hear from a compatriot!
Laws concerning publication rights vary from country to country. Research has to be done by lawyers for compliance.

Personally, having been burned numerous times by faulty unwarrantied devices, I'm waiting for the product to migrate. Sony beeing universal it has to do so soon. Internet is notorious for being a bypass over laws, Sony wanting to use them to maintain a proprietary market will totally abide by them, whatever they are...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
kahm
kahm is on a distinguished road

Device: 505/Librie/Zaurus/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Nice to hear from a compatriot!
Laws concerning publication rights vary from country to country. Research has to be done by lawyers for compliance.

Personally, having been burned numerous times by faulty unwarrantied devices, I'm waiting for the product to migrate. Sony beeing universal it has to do so soon. Internet is notorious for being a bypass over laws, Sony wanting to use them to maintain a proprietary market will totally abide by them, whatever they are...
Greetings from Edmonton ^_^

I have good luck with devices - thankfully. I've got a fairly sizable collection of Japanese imports (the Librie, several Zaurii, couple of laptops), and I've had virtually no problems with any of them. In fact, I just got my Librie - I figured that if I'm going to have to deal with an unsupported device I might as well get the one that's easier to acquire. (Plus, I liked the keyboard )

Plus, I'm not conviced that, Internet or no, Sony is savvy enough to offer the reader internationally any time soon. The Librie wasn't exactly an overwhelmingly successfull product for them, and it's taken them 2 1/2 years since it's launch to try and correct that.

You have to keep in mind that this is *SONY* we're talking about. They've shot themselves in the foot so much over the last year or two that there's nothing left from the knee down.
kahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #19
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
You have to keep in mind that this is *SONY* we're talking about. They've shot themselves in the foot so much over the last year or two that there's nothing left from the knee down.
LOL

I'm saving that for my quote book!
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:

...You have to keep in mind that this is *SONY* we're talking about. They've shot themselves in the foot so much over the last year or two that there's nothing left from the knee down...
SONY is a millipede, shoot one and there are 999 left!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote