Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
God, it just seemed so small! The whole world seems to have increased in size but those old 3.5" iconic screens are like those old T Models with just enough room for someone to sit down.
I've relegated my iPt4 to audio use. For that, it's great; because of it's streaming capabilities and the availability of inexpensive speaker docks. It's my home stereo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
If people want bigger screens, then maybe they should make iPad Mini's with a phone in them... Seriously, I have a 4S, and that's plenty big enough for me to use it for what it is: A PHONE. Any bigger and it's hard to just shove it in a jean pocket, etc... I'm not carrying a separate bag around just for my phone-computer!
I agree. My last phone was a 4" Motorola Atrix 4G and my current phone is a 4" iPhone 5. I think 4" is about the limit for me as far as easy portability goes. To be honest, even a 7" screen is too small for me for internet surfing. I find that a 4" screen on a smartphone is a good compromise between screen real estate and portability. I can do just as much on a 4" screen as I can on a 5" screen, and I really don't want a boat anchor hanging on my belt or stuffed into a pocket. If I need a large screen then I will rely on my iPad 3 or a computer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I seriously doubt this rumor is valid. Apple doesn't operate that way. Once they make up their mind to build something with a specific set of specs, they stick with that plan.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
If people want bigger screens, then maybe they should make iPad Mini's with a phone in them... Seriously, I have a 4S, and that's plenty big enough for me to use it for what it is: A PHONE. Any bigger and it's hard to just shove it in a jean pocket, etc... I'm not carrying a separate bag around just for my phone-computer!
It's all about the hardware churn. Gotta conjure up reasons for people to upgrade from perfectly usable phones.

Personally, I'd rather have a smallish phone... more along the lines of an iPod Touch 4G formfactor.... WITH a remote screen utility that allows my tablet to act as a larger replacement screen for the phone when I choose to. Connectivity between the phone and tablet could be hardwired or bluetooth.

All data and apps would reside on the smartphone. For those times when the portability and mobility are important, then the smaller screen will suffice. But when I have the opportunity to use a tablet-like device, accessing the media/data/apps on the phone on a 5", 7", or 10" tablet would be terrific. No syncing, no duplication of effort in maintaining apps, etc.

Back in the day, there was a device called the "Redfly" which provided a larger screen and QWERTY keyboard for use with PDAs. I'd like something similar but providing a tablet experience (rather than a netbook experience).
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post

It's all about the hardware churn. Gotta conjure up reasons for people to upgrade from perfectly usable phones.
Wait a darn minute, buddy. You mean that old horse of changing color from white to black or black to white doesn't run anymore?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't want a larger iPhone (he says while looking at his iPhone 4, not even 4S). But I'm sure plenty of people do. Choice is good. I doubt this rumor though. The last thing Apple needs is product launch delay. They are so secretive that they risk losing too much buzz between product launches.

I would like a fast fingerprint reader (my work server absolutely requires a PIN entry now), an improved camera (so close to not needing a separate digicam for 90+% of my shots), a xenon flash (more powerful than the LED type), and some of what I've heard about iOS 7 (pull-up settings screen). A bit more battery life would be nice, so I can ditch my Mophie battery-case. Better speaker(s) would also be nice (front-facing, please).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
It isn't clear to me if the delay is part of the rumor or if the rumor only refers to the reason for the delay.

I get the fact that people are looking at Apple's history and saying that Apple wouldn't do this, but that was the history under Jobs. Having a predictable release day is bad for the market because sales go down just before the release, people say that Apple is doomed, etc.

Another possibility would be that Apple wants to change something else and this is a way to divert the attention of it's competitors.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Apple is different these days.
hard to predict.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I get the fact that people are looking at Apple's history and saying that Apple wouldn't do this, but that was the history under Jobs. Having a predictable release day is bad for the market because sales go down just before the release, people say that Apple is doomed, etc.
The history that's pertinent is that rumors and rumors and rumors abound about Apple with most of them being garbage.

Tim Cook is the master of the manufacturing pipeline (forgetting the word for this) and wouldn't make that type of "last minute change".

This rumor is bogus like most others. This year we MAY get a lower cost iPhone, but it's been rumored to be true every year since the first iphone.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post

Personally, I'd rather have a smallish phone... more along the lines of an iPod Touch 4G formfactor.... WITH a remote screen utility that allows my tablet to act as a larger replacement screen for the phone when I choose to. Connectivity between the phone and tablet could be hardwired or bluetooth.

All data and apps would reside on the smartphone. For those times when the portability and mobility are important, then the smaller screen will suffice. But when I have the opportunity to use a tablet-like device, accessing the media/data/apps on the phone on a 5", 7", or 10" tablet would be terrific. No syncing, no duplication of effort in maintaining apps, etc.

Back in the day, there was a device called the "Redfly" which provided a larger screen and QWERTY keyboard for use with PDAs. I'd like something similar but providing a tablet experience (rather than a netbook experience).
I can't remember the device name now, but Palm came out with a netbook sized device called the Foleo that was basically a larger screen for their Treos/PDAs. This was a few years before tablets, and I think even before netbooks were popular. They never marketed it though as public interest in it was about ZERO. The darn thing couldn't really do much and what little it did required it to be connected to a Treo. They held a big conference to announce it, but even hard core Palm fanboys told them they were not interested in it! A few weeks later they announced they were cancelling production. That pretty much marked the end of Palm. Their OS was too outdated and instead of developing and releasing WebOS they wasted time with a device no one gave a rats backside about.

EDIT: It was the Palm Foleo. I remember now that we called it Palm's Folly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Foleo

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
[strike]-.

EDIT: It was the Palm Foleo. I remember now that we called it Palm's Folly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Foleo
That was our thinking also.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote